Re: Random Orbital sanding

  • David
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
      Bruce - it's really hard to find a reasonably priced 5" R.O. sander
      with all of the rest of the attributes listed. I've tried the latest
      P.Cable palm-grip R.O. (about $50) and they didn't hold up in our
      shop. The
      deluxe DeWalt version (about $70) was better.

      Despite being very happy with all my other Bosch tools, their small
      R.O. was a bust. What I've settled on for the workhorse is the Bosch
      D-handle (about $120) 3725EVS. I have three of these now and the
      oldest is still going strong after maybe 8 years in a high-production
      environment. Since I've scaled back to semi-retirement, I expect them
      to last me a good long time. But... if I ever have too much money
      burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade to a Festool RO150 (about $450).

      Conclusion. I recommend the Bosch D-handle. Anything less than the
      DeWalt is a crapshoot - not doomed, but odds not great.

      Cheers,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
      those who have not got it" -- George Bernard Shaw

      *********

      > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
      > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
      > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
      > Any advice on RO sanding?
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
        P.C., B&D and Dewalt are all realy the same company now so there is
        little differance. Been through 2 Riobi one lasted a long time the
        other short 1 Rigged that hooked to the shop-vac a cool feacher. The
        one I am useing now is a P.C. that is a little different it has a
        band under the pad so it isn't free wheeling but retards the free
        spin of the pad. Working good so far. Riged has a lifetime repair and
        replacement with it but it was 4 months till I got the warenty card
        back and will need to try it. LOL I am almost to the point that a big
        compresor and numatic is the best way to go but love ROS as a tool.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

        > Bruce - it's really hard to find a reasonably priced 5" R.O. sander
        > with all of the rest of the attributes listed. I've tried the latest
        > P.Cable palm-grip R.O. (about $50) and they didn't hold up in our
        > shop. The
        > deluxe DeWalt version (about $70) was better.
        >
        > Despite being very happy with all my other Bosch tools, their small
        > R.O. was a bust. What I've settled on for the workhorse is the Bosch
        > D-handle (about $120) 3725EVS. I have three of these now and the
        > oldest is still going strong after maybe 8 years in a high-
        production
        > environment. Since I've scaled back to semi-retirement, I expect
        them
        > to last me a good long time. But... if I ever have too much money
        > burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade to a Festool RO150 (about
        $450).

        > Conclusion. I recommend the Bosch D-handle. Anything less than the
        > DeWalt is a crapshoot - not doomed, but odds not great.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > David Graybeal
        > Portland, OR
        >
        > "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
        > those who have not got it" -- George Bernard Shaw
        >
        > *********
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
        > > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
        > > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the
        Buck$
        > > Any advice on RO sanding?

      • Bryant Owen
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
          I had the same list and thought P-C. A woodworker I ran into told me
          to go the Ridgid route. Not a lot of use so far but I think it's a keeper.

          Bryant

          > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
          > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
          > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
          > Any advice on RO sanding?

        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
            I fond that with power tools when you work them hard a lot or around
            things that can be abrasive it eats the brushes. More and more brushes
            are cheaper and give no warning when they are getting down or can be
            replaced. Disposable world thought. We need more tools we can fix
            cheaply ourselfs.

            Jon

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

            > I had the same list and thought P-C. A woodworker I ran into told me
            > to go the Ridgid route. Not a lot of use so far but I think it's a
            keeper.

            > Bryant
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
            > > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
            > > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the
            Buck$
            > > Any advice on RO sanding?

          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007

              > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
              > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
              > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
              > Any advice on RO sanding?

              Hi Bruce,

              Having sanded acres of epoxy too, on both a Micro and lately on
              WINDERMERE, I have yet to be able to kill my Porter-Cable R/O 333!
              And I have tried mightily too,going for 3,4,and even 5 hour stretches
              non-stop. The little buigger refuses to die. Just out of curiosity, do
              you blow out the dust,from the motor, at the end of each day? This may
              be what has fustrated my attempts to kill mine so that Santa can bring
              me new sander:-) With only a few short weeks left before Christmas, I
              should stop blowing out the dust....it may work this time :-D

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
              that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-heating...not
              that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
              Californian, you! :-D.......................
            • Doug Pollard
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                I just go my Porter cable rebuilt for less than $30 New bearings, two
                gears, a switch and new cable. I hope to get a few more years out of
                it. Boy it as earned it's way over the years.I was expecting at the
                very least a $ 50 bill.

                Doug

                Bruce Hallman wrote:

                > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
                > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
                > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
                > Any advice on RO sanding?

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Bruce

                  I used a Dewalt on the rebuild on my Triton, 350 disks later it is still
                  going strong. I have it hooked up to a shop vac with what I believe is a
                  1.5 in in hose. No dust, very effective. The De Walt has a very good
                  internal fan which assists the vacuum. I was in Sears looking for a
                  similar rig for my son, $69 for what looked like a good Dewalt, Approx
                  $50 for a 3 gal vacuum and another $12 for 10 feet of hose. I get my
                  disks from one of the online sites you recommended.

                  HJ

                  David wrote:
                  > Bruce - it's really hard to find a reasonably priced 5" R.O. sander
                  > with all of the rest of the attributes listed. I've tried the latest
                  > P.Cable palm-grip R.O. (about $50) and they didn't hold up in our
                  > shop. The
                  > deluxe DeWalt version (about $70) was better.
                  >
                  > Despite being very happy with all my other Bosch tools, their small
                  > R.O. was a bust. What I've settled on for the workhorse is the Bosch
                  > D-handle (about $120) 3725EVS. I have three of these now and the
                  > oldest is still going strong after maybe 8 years in a high-production
                  > environment. Since I've scaled back to semi-retirement, I expect them
                  > to last me a good long time. But... if I ever have too much money
                  > burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade to a Festool RO150 (about $450).
                  >
                  > Conclusion. I recommend the Bosch D-handle. Anything less than the
                  > DeWalt is a crapshoot - not doomed, but odds not great.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > David Graybeal
                  > Portland, OR
                  >
                  > "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
                  > those who have not got it" -- George Bernard Shaw
                  >
                  > *********
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
                  >> Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
                  >> value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
                  >> Any advice on RO sanding?

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob Slimak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                    There is one other way of going at this. Since almost all the hand
                    power tools nowdays are junk compared to years ago I figured that no
                    matter what brand I bought it was going to wear out with all the
                    sanding on a bigger boat. Therefore I bought an inexpensive Skill
                    from Menards, on sale for $29.95. I got it replaced twice during it's
                    two year warrenty. No messing around with sending it to the
                    manufacturer, just bring it into Menards and go grab a replacement. I
                    did the same thing with the belt sander. Peter is right on the dust
                    though. On my good 6" disc sander, which I don't want to wear out
                    too soon, I blow out the motor often, not just at the end of the day.

                    Bob Slimak
                    Who after shoveling 12 inches of snow yesterday can't wait until
                    January to head south!

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...>

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Not to rock the boat,

                      1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
                      so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
                      control officer?

                      2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
                      days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
                      77 spray adhesive instead.

                      3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
                      is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
                      for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
                      suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
                      anyway)

                      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431
                    • BllFs6@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                        In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:18:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                        otter55806@... writes:

                        Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
                        > that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-
                        heating...not
                        > that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
                        > Californian, you! :-D......... Cali

                        Another random thought on power tools....particularly electric ones...

                        If you are bogging it down....ie trying to drill, cut, sand or whatever SOOO
                        hard that you can hear the motor speed decreasing significantly....thats
                        just plain old BAD for the motor, brushes, and bearings....and probably isnt
                        helping the human body parts either....and is probably less efficient work
                        progress wise either...

                        Its bad for the bearings because it means you are putting too much force on
                        them....

                        Its bad for the motor because decreased speed means decreased air flow in
                        COMBINATION with the same IF NOT MORE electrical power being deposited IN THE
                        MOTOR....so less air flow AND MORE heat to get rid of....bad combo...

                        electrics are unlike internal combustion in that respect....a nearly stalled
                        IC engine aint producing much heat....a near stalled electric is drawing the
                        same, if not more power...and MORE of that energy is going into HEATING the
                        motor....

                        And yeah, frequent blowing out of the electric motors is probably a good
                        idea as well....

                        my .02 pesos

                        Blll

                      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                          You can get a new hook and loop face that glues on at Lowe's for not
                          much.

                          Jon

                          > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
                          > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
                          > 77 spray adhesive instead.
                        • Bryant Owen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                            A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me
                            the same thing. LET THE TOOL DO THE WORK! RO sanders, hand saws,
                            drills, etc.

                            Bryant - who is on RO sander #3 and wants it to be the last.

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BllFs6@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:18:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                            > otter55806@... writes:
                            >
                            > Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
                            > > that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-
                            > heating...not
                            > > that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
                            > > Californian, you! :-D......... Cali
                            > >

                            > Another random thought on power tools....particularly electric ones...
                            >

                            > If you are bogging it down....ie trying to drill, cut, sand or
                            whatever SOOO
                            > hard that you can hear the motor speed decreasing
                            significantly....thats
                            > just plain old BAD for the motor, brushes, and bearings....and
                            probably isnt
                            > helping the human body parts either....and is probably less
                            efficient work
                            > progress wise either...
                            >
                            > Its bad for the bearings because it means you are putting too much
                            force on
                            > them....
                            >
                            > Its bad for the motor because decreased speed means decreased air
                            flow in
                            > COMBINATION with the same IF NOT MORE electrical power being
                            deposited IN THE
                            > MOTOR....so less air flow AND MORE heat to get rid of....bad combo...
                            >
                            > electrics are unlike internal combustion in that respect....a nearly
                            stalled
                            > IC engine aint producing much heat....a near stalled electric is
                            drawing the
                            > same, if not more power...and MORE of that energy is going into
                            HEATING the
                            > motor....
                            >
                            > And yeah, frequent blowing out of the electric motors is probably a
                            good
                            > idea as well....
                            >
                            > my .02 pesos
                            >
                            > Blll

                          • Kristine Bennett
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                              I've been reading the posts on the RO sanders. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. I have use almost all the brands that have been listed. No matter what brand you use around fiberglass you are going to eat up bearings and brushes. Wood dust will do the same thing only slower.

                              When it comes to, bang for the buck I've had good luck with the RO sanders and the 4 1/2 inch grinders you can get from Harbor Freight Tools here in the U.S. The one thing I do is pop the gear case on the grinder open and full it with good grease. This goes a long way to get the life out of the gears.

                              Where I work we have five electric buffers that we use to buff the stainless steel tubing we build boat rails out of... They get used a lot. I have two or three of them pulled apart fixing them every month. The buffing compound just eats them up inside. The big thing is keeping them as clean as you can inside.

                              Blowing them out every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live! But I can't get the guys to do it!

                              Here in the U.S. 3M offers some sanding disks and pad that are called Sand Blasters I find the hold up very well grinding and sanding on straight fiberglass. They hold up well fairing out welds on steel as well.

                              Yes I have to agree with you Bryant "Let the tools do their job" The tools also last a whole lot longer as well!

                              Bryant Owen <mariner@...> wrote: A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
                                But I can't get the guys to do it!

                                OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
                                tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

                                Sincerely,

                                Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
                                taste :-)...........
                              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                  I can just about bet she has heard all those jokes already. Good to see
                                  the Amazon is still around and giveing good .... advice.

                                  Jon

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
                                  > > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
                                  > But I can't get the guys to do it!
                                  >
                                  > OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
                                  > tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D
                                  >

                                  > Sincerely,
                                  >
                                  > Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
                                  > taste :-)...........

                                • Hajo Smulders
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
                                    my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
                                    If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
                                    compressor with a huge tank.
                                    I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
                                    to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
                                    wood work...)
                                    There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
                                    brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
                                    Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
                                    the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
                                    financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
                                    tool to have the best one you can get.
                                    Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
                                    enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
                                    maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
                                    get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
                                    it's that much!
                                    What I did spend money on:
                                    High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
                                    A GOOD quality chisel set
                                    A GOOD quality block plane
                                    (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
                                    bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
                                    pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
                                    pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
                                    for a lot of years to come.)
                                    A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
                                    GOOD quality measuring tools
                                    The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
                                    wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
                                    can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
                                    name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
                                    canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

                                    Hajo

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

                                      Blessings Krissie

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

                                        Blesssings Krissie

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

                                          > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                                          words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                                          butt! :)

                                          Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                                          my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                                          mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                                          brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
                                        • Chester Young
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
                                            Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

                                            Caloosarat

                                            _____

                                            > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                                            words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                                            butt! :)

                                            Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                                            my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                                            mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                                            brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                                            Sincerely,

                                            Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

                                          • doug6949
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                                              It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                                              substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                                              Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                                              from hours to minutes.

                                              Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                                              So let the tool do the work.

                                              FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                                              holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                                              Doug