Re: [bolger] Re: build a micro?

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
      > I'm interested in these comments
      > about Micro not necessarily being up
      > to date or practical

      My feeling after reading the guy's opinion about Micro is that he has
      had no personal experience with the boat and simply doesn't like its
      appearance, or maybe he just has different personal goals for a boat
      that Micro can fulfill ... so why put any stock in his "opinions"?

      Most who build Micro's enjoy the boats and are glad they have them, and
      that's all that should matter.

      If you really want some useful information, the best sources might be
      people who have owned and sailed the boats, then sold them. These are
      the folks who might tell you "The boat sucked so I got rid of it" or "I
      wish I never sold it because it was ideal for me".

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor" <proaconstrictor@...>
        wrote:
        Micros are getting a little dated. A lot has
        > changed in the last 20-30 years of boatbuilding, and I don't think
        the
        > bang for the buck is there today. They are still the right answer
        for
        > someone, and they haven't changed from what they were, unlike some
        PB
        > designs since. Built to current standards, there just isn't the
        same
        > bang for the buck.
        >
        > Today, there really isn't as much reason to build a box as costly as
        > this one.

        Weeelllll I don't know about that.The water certainly hasn't changed
        all that much nor has the wind and they've been around for a very very
        long time :-)

        For max interior volume, it is hard to beat a box, any box.
        Information technology has advanced and there are indeed oodles of new
        fresh designs out there but,and here is the challenge; using only 14
        sheets of plywood, produce a boat with handsome rugged good looks( I
        know,not eveyones' cup of tea), make it self-righing,self-
        rescuing,capable of comfortably sailing in all but the strongest of
        winds( well up into the small craft warning zone),able to be
        provisioned with stores for two for at least a week at a time,give it
        a cabin not sliced in two buy a centerboard case and with a comfy
        sitting headroom cabin.Make it railerable.
        I'll bet the computer designers will be mighty pissed off when the
        machine keeps spitting out a) a box or b) a shape so "tortured" only a
        professional would attempt to build it.
        In the end,however, one should keep in mind the origins of the MICRO
        design. It was intended to be a boat easily built by non-boatbuilders,
        a relaxing and forgiving day-sailor which could handle an occasional
        over-night and at the end of the day be brought home and put to bed
        right beside the car in the drive way, while not costing a small
        fortune to build in relatively little time.This bare bones brief, I
        believe, was met with the MICRO, and many of those same requirements
        still hold considerable allure for young and not so young folks
        seeking to be on the water in a boat wrought of their own hands.

        I know there have been some fine summer days when I wished I still had
        mine in the water:-)(are you reading this Nels?...in the water!)

        O.K., enough of my nonsense. I was and remain a sucker for the Micro!!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan...............
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
          Centennial II.
          13. sheets. !!

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > here is the challenge; using only 14 sheets of plywood, produce a
          >boat with handsome rugged good looks( I know,not eveyones' cup of
          >tea), make it self-righing,self-rescuing,capable of comfortably
          >sailing in all but the strongest of winds( well up into the small
          >craft warning zone),able to be provisioned with stores for two for at
          >least a week at a time,give it a cabin not sliced in two buy a
          >centerboard case and with a comfy sitting headroom cabin.Make it
          >railerable.
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007

            > Centennial II.
            > 13. sheets. !!

            Ah,pretty good that one Graeme! But, I forgot to mention with the
            Micro, a sailing draft of not more then what,18" :-)
            And while I'm at it,a sailing rig not encumbered by peak sprits:-D

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, scatching his head for more minor differences as the
            snow flies from our first snow storm of the
            year...yippee....yahoo....and boo!!
          • mike weekes
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
              There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of a 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with perhaps 2 foot draw?

              yellowstone_mike@...

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                Stitch and glue boats can be built in any size. Most larger boats use
                frames, molds, bulkheads, etc. to hold the shape during construction.
                What boat are you talking about?

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                > There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of a
                > 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with
                > perhaps 2 foot draw?
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, mike weekes <yellowstone_mike@...>
                  wrote:

                  > There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of
                  a 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with
                  perhaps 2 foot draw?

                  > yellowstone_mike@...

                  Sam Devlin has two lovely stitch-n-glue "tugs",that look like this:

                  http://www.devlinboat.com/godzilla2.jpg

                  His web site has more pictures and information.

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan, wandering in a winter wonderland...........
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                    His Kingfisher also

                    http://www.devlinboat.com/dckingfisher26.htm