Re:Hatch building

  • Col
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
      Group,
      Should be right now, found some good closeups in Golger 5
      photos "Applecross".
      Cheers,
      Col

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

      > For me, the hardest thing about the companionway plans for the Micro
      was the after ends of the hatch-rails. They don't seem to have any
      lateral support, and I wasn't sure where to end them, and how to trap
      the sompanionway slides in at the top. Took a little drawing and
      thinking and studying of the plans but I think I got it right, or
      adequately near.
      > The "slot" for the slides, which you refer to, was not built
      according to plans on my hull, and I decided to cope with it the way
      it was. On a new boat, I'd do it like the plans. Don't they show the
      bulkhead itself as the inner frame of the slot? So that the slides lie
      outside, or aft, of the bulkhead, and go in rabbetted frame-pieces?
      However you do the slots, be sure to carry the hatch-rails aft as far
      as necessary to cover the edges of the slides. Tricky.

    • Col
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
        I can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks.

        > On Nov 29, 2007 2:19 PM, Col <cmoone11@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi group,
        > > Never having built or seen a Bolger hatch before,I have to
        admit I'm
        > > having trouble getting my head around the design in the Micro
        > > plans. I've searched the archives with no luck, and any advice
        > > would be much appreciated.
        >
        > It is confusing I agree. Have you also read note 54 of the
        building key?

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

          > That's Peter Lenihan's boat so probably Peter took the pic.
          >
          > Bryant
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I put a picture of the Le Stat companionway here (credit is due to
          > > whomever took that photo, it wasn't me, but I forget who to
          thank.):

          > > http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2074783398&size=o

          Hi Guys,

          Yup, it is my hatch which I built straight out of Bud MacIntosh'
          book"How to Build a Wooden Boat".The text is clear and the drawings by
          Sam Manning are,well as usual, outstanding! Even I was able to make
          sense of them :-)
          The picture Bruce links to was taken by a visitor,Mark, who was at
          that time sorta considering building a Micro up on the Ottawa river
          and paid me a visit.....he even brought along a wee bottle(bless his
          soul!) of fortified grape juice!
          Some other shots are available of the hatch here:
          ?b=1&m=t&o=0 and of course,right in our own files under MICRO, in
          the "Lenihans' Micro" folder.

          I chose to build my hatch the way I did since I figured the boat was
          flat and square enough and a wee bit of yachty looking hatch crown
          couldn't hurt :-) Bolger liked it too when he came on board down in
          Newport during the Woodenboat show in 1993(!)

          It was an easy thing to build,with Buds' book as a guide, and did
          wonders for the boats looks :-)

          Sincerely,

          Peter Hatchbuilder Lenihan..............:-D !!