Hatch building

  • Col
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hi group,
      Never having built or seen a Bolger hatch before,I have to admit I'm
      having trouble getting my head around the design in the Micro
      plans. I've searched the archives with no luck, and any advice
      would be much appreciated.

      My problem is how to form the slot for the two boards to slip into
      at the entranceway. I made the presumtion that the boards once in
      place are flush with the ply on Bulkhead B. I see that some framing
      needs to go on the aft end of bulkhead B to form the slot. However
      in the bulkhead plans the framing on the foward end of bulkhead B
      seems to finish flush with the ply edge, and if thats the case it
      wouldn't play a role in forming a slot. Do you need to glue a strip
      of wood onto the forward framing making it protrude from the ply to
      match a protruding frame on the aft side? I'm sure the answer is
      simpler than I think and I'll kick myself when I find the answer! (I
      failed plan reading 101).

      Thanks,
      Col
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
        On Nov 29, 2007 2:19 PM, Col <cmoone11@...> wrote:

        > Hi group,
        > Never having built or seen a Bolger hatch before,I have to admit I'm
        > having trouble getting my head around the design in the Micro
        > plans. I've searched the archives with no luck, and any advice
        > would be much appreciated.

        It is confusing I agree. Have you also read note 54 of the building key?
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
          I put a picture of the Le Stat companionway here (credit is due to
          whomever took that photo, it wasn't me, but I forget who to thank.):

          http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2074783398&size=o
        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
            Be certain that the cut out for the hatch are absolutely parallel.

            The front plate and rear plates of the hatch hold it in place and there
            are notches cut out to ride over the ridge on the cabin sides.

            I think I recall screwing on a 3/4X3/4 rail for the notches to ride
            on.

            I wound up putting brass strips for the hatch to ride on as it was a
            little sticky. that seemed to solve it.

            There is something in Chapelle's on this.

            Bear in mind this was several years ago, so my memory is a tad hazy.

            David Jost
          • Col
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
              Thanks David,
              The fog is slowly lifting. I'm sure when I'm up to that stage and
              have the problem in front of me it will see a lot clearer.
              Col

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

              > Be certain that the cut out for the hatch are absolutely parallel.
              >
              > The front plate and rear plates of the hatch hold it in place and
              there
              > are notches cut out to ride over the ridge on the cabin sides.
              >
              > I think I recall screwing on a 3/4X3/4 rail for the notches to
              ride
              > on.
              >
              > I wound up putting brass strips for the hatch to ride on as it was
              > little sticky. that seemed to solve it.
              >
              > There is something in Chapelle's on this.
              >
              > Bear in mind this was several years ago, so my memory is a tad
              hazy.

              > David Jost

            • Bryant Owen
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 29, 2007
                That's Peter Lenihan's boat so probably Peter took the pic.

                Bryant

                > I put a picture of the Le Stat companionway here (credit is due to
                > whomever took that photo, it wasn't me, but I forget who to thank.):
                >
                > http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2074783398&size=o

              • mason smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
                  For me, the hardest thing about the companionway plans for the Micro was the after ends of the hatch-rails. They don't seem to have any lateral support, and I wasn't sure where to end them, and how to trap the sompanionway slides in at the top. Took a little drawing and thinking and studying of the plans but I think I got it right, or adequately near.
                  The "slot" for the slides, which you refer to, was not built according to plans on my hull, and I decided to cope with it the way it was. On a new boat, I'd do it like the plans. Don't they show the bulkhead itself as the inner frame of the slot? So that the slides lie outside, or aft, of the bulkhead, and go in rabbetted frame-pieces? However you do the slots, be sure to carry the hatch-rails aft as far as necessary to cover the edges of the slides. Tricky.

                • Col
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Thanks Mason,
                    If "the slides lie outside, or aft, of the bulkhead, and go in
                    rabbetted frame-pieces?", I guess that means the slides don't finish
                    flush with the ply in the bulkhead?

                    Thanks for the tips re the hatch rails, I know one thing, nothing will
                    be glued until all is working!

                    Col

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
                      Group,
                      Should be right now, found some good closeups in Golger 5
                      photos "Applecross".
                      Cheers,

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
                        I can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks.

                        > On Nov 29, 2007 2:19 PM, Col <cmoone11@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi group,
                        > > Never having built or seen a Bolger hatch before,I have to
                        admit I'm
                        > > having trouble getting my head around the design in the Micro
                        > > plans. I've searched the archives with no luck, and any advice
                        > > would be much appreciated.
                        >
                        > It is confusing I agree. Have you also read note 54 of the
                        building key?

                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2007
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

                          > That's Peter Lenihan's boat so probably Peter took the pic.
                          >
                          > Bryant
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I put a picture of the Le Stat companionway here (credit is due to
                          > > whomever took that photo, it wasn't me, but I forget who to
                          thank.):

                          > > http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2074783398&size=o

                          Hi Guys,

                          Yup, it is my hatch which I built straight out of Bud MacIntosh'
                          book"How to Build a Wooden Boat".The text is clear and the drawings by
                          Sam Manning are,well as usual, outstanding! Even I was able to make
                          sense of them :-)
                          The picture Bruce links to was taken by a visitor,Mark, who was at
                          that time sorta considering building a Micro up on the Ottawa river
                          and paid me a visit.....he even brought along a wee bottle(bless his
                          soul!) of fortified grape juice!
                          Some other shots are available of the hatch here:
                          ?b=1&m=t&o=0 and of course,right in our own files under MICRO, in
                          the "Lenihans' Micro" folder.

                          I chose to build my hatch the way I did since I figured the boat was
                          flat and square enough and a wee bit of yachty looking hatch crown
                          couldn't hurt :-) Bolger liked it too when he came on board down in
                          Newport during the Woodenboat show in 1993(!)

                          It was an easy thing to build,with Buds' book as a guide, and did
                          wonders for the boats looks :-)

                          Sincerely,

                          Peter Hatchbuilder Lenihan..............:-D !!