Re: Lead prices [was New Micro keel]

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
      It's a bit more effort, but I found that by contacting some local
      tire stores I have been able to collect all the lead I need. Look
      for ones that do not sell batteries as well since the battery dealers
      usually collect the wheel weights as well as the old batteries. I
      made friends with one and he provided info on several others in the
      area. I left a 5gallon bucket at each with my name and number on
      them and make a trip to each once a week to collect the weights.

      I easily collected the 500 pounds for my Superbrick and another 700
      for my Winter Wren. I melt them down into lead bricks first to get
      rid of the clips and grease before using them in the boats.

      Paul H.

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@> wrote:
      > > Watch the prices of lead containing things like car batteries
      over
      > > the next year... Doesn't look to me like the price will will go
      > > down.
      >

      > The price has just about quadrupled in the past 18 months
      > http://commodities.thefinancials.com/
      >
      > "... it's not a very liquid market and it doesn't take much buying
      > to drive the price," said Michael Jansen, a strategist in London
      for
      > J.P. Morgan Securities.
      > http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/19/bloomberg/bxcom.php
      >
      > "Lead — the leading performer this year—soared 15 percent, on
      strong
      > battery demand in China, ongoing production losses in Australia,
      and
      > sharply reduced exports from China."

      http://econ.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTDEC/EXTDECPROSPECTS/0,,c

      ontentMDK:21148682~menuPK:2457607~pagePK:64165401~piPK:64165026~theSi

      http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTDAILYPROSPECTS/Resources/132403
      > 7-1124814752790/CommodityMarketsReview-November2007.pdf
      >

      > "...Although copper is regarded as a price leader among base
      metals,
      > lead has stolen much of the limelight, as speculation of a 90K-100K
      > tonne supply shortfall this year pushed lead up 32% in two months
      > fresh record highs. Supply tightness should ease a little in CY08,
      > but supply is still expected to be constrained. For this reason,
      our
      > price forecast for lead enjoys the biggest upgrade of all metals
      for
      > the next two years. Other base metals to enjoy a significant upward
      > lift include tin and copper..."
      > http://www.compareshares.com.au/aegis25.php
      >
      > Are all those batteries in China mostly for road transport vehicles
      > in China?
      >
      > Fuel cost increase has ship charges doubling in the last year - not
      > sure this affects lead very much, though it's added a lot to grain.
      >
      > Graeme

    • mason smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
        By the way, as to the purchase of the lead and the shipping, I think I paid about $.55 per pound, to one of those ebay sellers who usually send very small ingots, for bullet-makers, etc. The shipping was a good deal too, because theUSPS will take anything that fits in one of their priority boxes and is under something like 60 lbs, for $8 or $9 anywhere in the country. My mailman didn't like the deal much, but my lead came in nine of these priority mail boxes. The ingots had bevelled edges, but they fit together fairly tightly by alternating top and bottom faces. I didn't want to shorten the oak pieces fore and aft of the lead, so made them to plan, and added the additional lead I needed to come up to specs above them, at each end. Actually, I filled the forward part of the keel completely, so there is no free flooding there; and I used up a comparable amount of the free flooding space aft. It's my impression that it would be a mistake to settle for any less than the full design weight of lead, unless one were really going to load the Micro heavily for cruising. I'll be using mine lightly laden most of the time, and I'd like her to float somewhere near her design waterline.

      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
          In the last month lead has been slipping down as well as most
          industry metals. Gold is over $800 but a little spendy for balest.
          http://www.minersmanual.com/metalprices.html
          I watch the market daily. With China getting hit so hard on lead
          paint on exports there demand should come down . LOL as well as some
          of there marketing dreams.

          Jon