Re: [bolger] Re: Puget Sound

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2007
      On Nov 12, 2007 5:54 AM, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

      > I've never seen 8-10 foot waves on Puget Sound, in my memory (but I
      > -Chris

      An old friend of mine is an ex-seaman on the ferries, with lots of
      first hand experience with Puget Sound waters. His comments on those
      photos is copied below:

      =========pasted text below =====

      These kinds of very rare inland "seas" result from a strong southerly
      winter blow acting against an opposite tidal current. Upon departure
      we would usually run parallel to the wave action, in the "trough" (the
      first two photos) until we could get behind a headland where the seas
      were calmer so we could make whatever turn was needed to make the
      dock. This kind of action was much more common on the Port Townsend
      route than "down sound." Sometimes the turn was required where there
      was no headland to get behind (as in this case) and then you see the
      action captured in the rest of the photos. Anyway, while cars have
      been known to get moved around in this weather much of the water
      action you see is spray (although from the looks of the scuppers there
      is a significant amount of "green water" on deck) and it is unlikely
      that cars got forced into each other - although that has happened on
      very rare occasions. Anyway, it is good to relive my days on the
      water.