New micro builder

  • Col
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2007
      I built the bulkheads and mast for a Micro several years ago and
      stored them away when things got busy. I've now restarted the project
      and was wondering if there are any Micro owners in the
      Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area that might be kind enough to let me come
      on board for a sail?

      Many thanks,

      Col
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@...> wrote:

        > I built the bulkheads and mast for a Micro several years ago and
        > stored them away when things got busy. I've now restarted the
        project
        > and was wondering if there are any Micro owners in the
        > Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area that might be kind enough to let me
        come
        > on board for a sail?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Col

        Need a sailing fix or just having doubts Col ? :-) Never fear! The
        Mighty Micro will be a pleasure to sail and well worth your efforts
        to finish and launch your very own Queen of the Fleet! Super
        stable,fully self righting,can be made to steer herself,roomy enough
        to haul gallons of"supplies" and the ice for said supplies,can be
        slept on completely protected from the elements,excellent reefing
        options for a nice range of winds,trailerable and very storable
        right in your own yard or garage, guarenteed show stopper and crowd
        pleaser.Not too shabby eh? Hard to imagine a better use of 14 sheets
        of plywood, I dare say :-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan, feeling just a wee bit nostalgic for Lestat, as yet
        another winter lays her frozen hands on the land.........
      • Col
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
          Hi Pete,
          No doubts at all, it would just be nice to see in the flesh what
          I've been visualising in the plans all these years. I've had the
          idea of changing course and building Martha Jane gnawing away at me
          for a while now, but I've put that behind me once and for all based
          on both cost, and the energy required to launch, sail and retrieve
          single handed for an afternoon sail.
          I've collected quite a mass of photos over the years, from as far
          back as Pippo, Rob Feaney, David Jost and of course yourself. I
          definitely think its time I saw a Micro in the flesh. I'd also like
          to take some snaps of some of the tricky building bits like the fid
          shelf and the hatch setup. Oh and yes, I'd love to be out sailing
          one in 15 knots to see what you're all raving about!

          Cheers,
          Col

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I built the bulkheads and mast for a Micro several years ago and
          > > stored them away when things got busy. I've now restarted the
          > project
          > > and was wondering if there are any Micro owners in the
          > > Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area that might be kind enough to let me
          > come
          > > on board for a sail?
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >
          > > Col
          >

          > Need a sailing fix or just having doubts Col ? :-) Never fear! The
          > Mighty Micro will be a pleasure to sail and well worth your
          efforts
          > to finish and launch your very own Queen of the Fleet! Super
          > stable,fully self righting,can be made to steer herself,roomy
          enough
          > to haul gallons of"supplies" and the ice for said supplies,can be
          > slept on completely protected from the elements,excellent reefing
          > options for a nice range of winds,trailerable and very storable
          > right in your own yard or garage, guarenteed show stopper and
          crowd
          > pleaser.Not too shabby eh? Hard to imagine a better use of 14
          sheets
          > of plywood, I dare say :-D
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan, feeling just a wee bit nostalgic for Lestat, as yet
          > another winter lays her frozen hands on the land.........

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
            Col,

            I'd like to help you out as I'm in the area, but mine is not sailable
            (nor saleable) at the moment. She sits under cover waiting for her
            owner to learn enough to judge whether it's worthwhile to fix her up.
            (I really should have just built instead of buying one to try!)

            Mine is not quite standard either (what's a fid shelf???). Of rough and
            ready construction, aluminium pipe masts (good), hanked-on sails (not
            so good (what ever possessed the sailmaker to try that?), and some
            internals left out.

            As far as head-scratching building bits are concerned, IMHO
            accommodating the keel on the trailer would have to be one of those.

            As far as afternoon sailing on an impulse, unless the boat is on a
            mooring that won't happen often. Micro takes a bit too much time to rig
            and launch for that - probably more than a Martha Jane on a trailer. Of
            course some have used a sailplan on Micro too that's quicker to set up:

            Shorty Pen had a balanced lug main in a tabernacle on his Micro:
            http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/micro.jpg Like on his Martha Jane:
            http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/marthaj1.jpg ( All Shorty's boats:
            http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/ ) Jason Stancil did away with the
            mizzen and had a larger balanced lug set from a tabernacled mast
            relocated near centrally over the cabin (Jason did away with the
            salient keel too!)

            Graeme

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
              > Mighty Micro ... well worth your efforts

              I ditto Peter, and add that the best thing about Micro is that it is
              small enough to be achievable, yet big enough to meet 99% of your
              'needs'.

              I say this in context, whew, just off a weekend of
              sanding/sanding/sanding acres fiberglass on a 31 foot long Topaz
              project. A 15'4' boat seems like a walk in the park in comparison.
              On the bright side, I think I am finally learning how to be more
              efficient.
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
                > Mine is not quite standard either (what's a fid shelf???).

                graeme19121984 and Col,

                Click here and scroll down a bit to the 5th picture,the fid shelf
                is the athwartship member just aft of the mast which drops into a
                slot and keeps the mainmast upright.The forward cross piece is the
                fid.

                22LESTAT%22%20/

                if the link won't work,just go into the files section and look in
                the MICRO file,Lenihans' LESTAT folder, 5th pic down.»lso a picture
                in there of the main companionway hatch set-up.
                Enjoy!

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan
              • Col
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
                  Thanks Pete,
                  Nice shot, I'd seen your photo before but the penny just dropped on
                  how it actually works.

                  wrote:

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Mine is not quite standard either (what's a fid shelf???).
                  >
                  > graeme19121984 and Col,
                  >
                  > Click here and scroll down a bit to the 5th picture,the fid
                  shelf
                  > is the athwartship member just aft of the mast which drops into a
                  > slot and keeps the mainmast upright.The forward cross piece is the
                  > fid.

                  > 22LESTAT%22%20/
                  >
                  > if the link won't work,just go into the files section and look in
                  > the MICRO file,Lenihans' LESTAT folder, 5th pic down.»lso a
                  picture
                  > in there of the main companionway hatch set-up.
                  > Enjoy!
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Peter Lenihan

                • Col
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
                    Thanks Graeme,
                    Yeah I know, a last minute sail might take a bit of energy with even
                    a Micro, but my current trailer sailor takes me an hour to set up
                    and a little less to get back on the trailer, so anythings a bonus!

                    Whats the history of your Micro? Do you know when it was built? I
                    knew a guy at New Farm (Brisbane)who built one around 10 years ago,
                    can't remember his name.

                    By the way I couldn't open your links, will see if theres another
                    way to do it.

                    Cheers,

                    Col

                    > Col,
                    >
                    > I'd like to help you out as I'm in the area, but mine is not
                    sailable
                    > (nor saleable) at the moment. She sits under cover waiting for her
                    > owner to learn enough to judge whether it's worthwhile to fix her
                    up.
                    > (I really should have just built instead of buying one to try!)
                    >
                    > Mine is not quite standard either (what's a fid shelf???). Of
                    rough and
                    > ready construction, aluminium pipe masts (good), hanked-on sails
                    (not
                    > so good (what ever possessed the sailmaker to try that?), and some
                    > internals left out.
                    >
                    > As far as head-scratching building bits are concerned, IMHO
                    > accommodating the keel on the trailer would have to be one of
                    those.

                    > As far as afternoon sailing on an impulse, unless the boat is on a
                    > mooring that won't happen often. Micro takes a bit too much time
                    to rig
                    > and launch for that - probably more than a Martha Jane on a
                    trailer. Of
                    > course some have used a sailplan on Micro too that's quicker to
                    set up:

                    > Shorty Pen had a balanced lug main in a tabernacle on his Micro:
                    > http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/micro.jpg Like on his Martha Jane:
                    > http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/marthaj1.jpg ( All Shorty's
                    boats:
                    > http://www.shortypen.com/xboat/ ) Jason Stancil did away with
                    the
                    > mizzen and had a larger balanced lug set from a tabernacled mast
                    > relocated near centrally over the cabin (Jason did away with the
                    > salient keel too!)
                    >
                    > Graeme
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I built the bulkheads and mast for a Micro several years ago and
                    > > stored them away when things got busy. I've now restarted the
                    project
                    > > and was wondering if there are any Micro owners in the
                    > > Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area that might be kind enough to let me
                    come
                    > > on board for a sail?
                    > >
                    > > Many thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Col

                  • graeme19121984
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                      OK, thanks for that clarrification Peter.

                      My old Micro doesn't have a fid shelf then. It has a fid, and the mast
                      is lashed to it by a stout, short length of rope - this does work, but
                      I think the designed set-up would be better. I don't know why that
                      design was not adapted to the non-standard pipe mast <shrugs>.

                      Graeme

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Mine is not quite standard either (what's a fid shelf???).

                      > Click here and scroll down a bit to the 5th picture,the fid shelf
                      > is the athwartship member just aft of the mast which drops into a
                      > slot and keeps the mainmast upright.The forward cross piece is the
                      > fid.
                      > 22LESTAT%22%20/
                    • graeme19121984
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                        Hi Col,

                        sorry for the delayed response - My Micro was built in the early
                        90's by a QPS instructing sergant at the Qld Police Academy at
                        Oxley, or so I was told. This guy built a number, maybe four or six,
                        in a few short years for himself and relatives. I was told he
                        swapped mine to a nephew for a big outboard motor. The nephew never
                        wet her. I bought it a few years ago from an elderly couple who had
                        had her for some time. They were getting on and trailer sailing was
                        becoming too much for them - I don't think they actually used the
                        Micro very much in the time they had her - they showed me photos of
                        a lovely gaff rigged trailer sailer they had once built and fondly
                        remembered. The Micro got a little rot in the bow quarter over the
                        years from how it was stored in their shed with its nose poking
                        outside.

                        I was about to send off for the plans and then very likely to build
                        a Micro when I saw their sale ad in the trading post. Very unusal to
                        see a Bolger boat for sale here. I thought I might try one for
                        cheaper than building one, and then, if I liked, perhaps to build
                        one and sell off the other...

                        This one requires a bit of work I've found to bring it to plan, and
                        there's overdue maintenance, of the sanding and painting kind. I
                        think she's built from good quality ply etc, BUT I am concerned by
                        those bits I can't see or tap on - I wouldn't want to do her up and
                        then shortly find a serious flaw in the keel, say. There's the age
                        and any exposure of the glue to consider too.

                        In hindsight I should not have bought, but just gone ahead and
                        built. I calculated the cost of building new to completion,
                        including everything - motor, sails, modified trailer etc. - to be
                        around AUD6000 or so IIRC. I dont want to just scrap this one and
                        take the finacial loss (though I'm philosophical about it, and have
                        learnt a lot - it's how you get wisdom I guess). It's occurred to me
                        last week that that I could strip everything from this one -
                        trailer, sails, masts, motor - and use them on a newly built hull,
                        maybe a Micro II. Then, when I can get hold of an X-ray, or radar
                        gadget to check the internals of the old one, do it up. It maybe the
                        start of a plan..., and I would get an essentially new Micro on the
                        water for possibly a bit less than I originally calculated.

                        One problem with this proto-plan though is that I've still got
                        Cabbie's blue and yellow AS19 pictured on my desktop! Longest ever
                        Bolger boat there... now beating Anhinga... I like that boat...

                        Cheers
                        Graeme

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Graeme,
                        > Yeah I know, a last minute sail might take a bit of energy with
                        even
                        > a Micro, but my current trailer sailor takes me an hour to set up
                        > and a little less to get back on the trailer, so anythings a bonus!
                        >
                        > Whats the history of your Micro? Do you know when it was built?
                        > knew a guy at New Farm (Brisbane)who built one around 10 years
                        ago,
                        > can't remember his name.
                        >
                        > By the way I couldn't open your links, will see if theres another
                        > way to do it.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Col
                      • Col
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Hi Graeme,
                          Sounds like you've got all the expensive bits for a rebuild - a hull
                          without the keel can be built over a period of time with relatively
                          little outlay each month. On the other hand, if the hull is solid
                          its marvellous what a bit of epoxy and fibreglass can do. A few
                          strategically placed drill holes into the keel batten and other
                          structural parts would soon reveal any rot, and then filled after.

                          I've just resisted a tempting offer to buy a Micro located in
                          Sydney. Apart from the fact that I didn't have the cash, I really
                          enjoy the building process and seeing the boat come together. And
                          what would I have done with my bulkheads and mast? I try to do a
                          little every day on her - time isn't an issue. (I may end up with
                          the record for the slowest build on this list) Today I marked the
                          notches in bulkheads C & D and the aft frame piece on B ready to
                          cut out.

                          Cheers,

                          Col

> [...]
                          > Bolger boat there... now beating Anhinga... I like that boat...
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Graeme
                          >

                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Thanks Graeme,
                          > > Yeah I know, a last minute sail might take a bit of energy with
                          > even
                          > > a Micro, but my current trailer sailor takes me an hour to set
                          up
                          > > and a little less to get back on the trailer, so anythings a
                          bonus!

                          > > Whats the history of your Micro? Do you know when it was
                          built?
                          > > knew a guy at New Farm (Brisbane)who built one around 10 years
                          > ago,
                          > > can't remember his name.
                          > >
                          > > By the way I couldn't open your links, will see if theres

                        • graeme19121984
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 21, 2007
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Graeme,
                            > Sounds like you've got all the expensive bits for a rebuild - a
                            hull
                            > without the keel can be built over a period of time with
                            relatively
                            > little outlay each month. On the other hand, if the hull is solid
                            > its marvellous what a bit of epoxy and fibreglass can do. A few
                            > strategically placed drill holes into the keel batten and other
                            > structural parts would soon reveal any rot, and then filled after.

                            That's true Col, but maintenance doesn't seem as interesting as
                            building new, it's not as easy to warm to, but it could be the way
                            to go , but, but...

                            > I've just resisted a tempting offer to buy a Micro located in
                            > Sydney.

                            That wouild be John's, no? Very tempting indeed, and an awesome
                            effort to resist - there was/is a peturbation in the force felt as
                            far as here in Bolgerdom, just a fact.

                            >Apart from the fact that I didn't have the cash, I really
                            > enjoy the building process and seeing the boat come together. And
                            > what would I have done with my bulkheads and mast? I try to do a
                            > little every day on her - time isn't an issue. (I may end up with
                            > the record for the slowest build on this list) Today I marked the
                            > notches in bulkheads C & D and the aft frame piece on B ready to
                            > cut out.

                            Way to go!

                            Graeme
                          • Col
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 21, 2007
                              Graeme,
                              Yes that was Johns Micro, nice bloke and a nice boat. I'm with you,
                              buildings half (or more) the fun, and even though it will cost me
                              more, the bills are spread out. (false economy I know). I'm in no
                              rush, I like tinkering downstairs when the time permits gradually
                              moving towards the goal. By the way, I don't know whether its
                              kosher to pinch someone elses colour scheme, but I'd love to copy
                              the boat in one of the storage files under Queensland Micro's, with
                              her tanbark sails, white bottom and decks, green sides.
                              Col

                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Col" <cmoone11@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Graeme,
                              > > Sounds like you've got all the expensive bits for a rebuild - a
                              > hull
                              > > without the keel can be built over a period of time with
                              > relatively
                              > > little outlay each month. On the other hand, if the hull is
                              solid
                              > > its marvellous what a bit of epoxy and fibreglass can do. A few
                              > > strategically placed drill holes into the keel batten and other
                              > > structural parts would soon reveal any rot, and then filled
                              after.

                              > That's true Col, but maintenance doesn't seem as interesting as
                              > building new, it's not as easy to warm to, but it could be the way
                              > to go , but, but...
                              >

                              > > I've just resisted a tempting offer to buy a Micro located in
                              > > Sydney.
                              >
                              > That wouild be John's, no? Very tempting indeed, and an awesome
                              > effort to resist - there was/is a peturbation in the force felt as
                              > far as here in Bolgerdom, just a fact.
                              >

                              > >Apart from the fact that I didn't have the cash, I really
                              > > enjoy the building process and seeing the boat come together.
                              And
                              > > what would I have done with my bulkheads and mast? I try to do
                              > > little every day on her - time isn't an issue. (I may end up
                              with
                              > > the record for the slowest build on this list) Today I marked
                              the
                              > > notches in bulkheads C & D and the aft frame piece on B ready
                              > > cut out.
                              >
                              > Way to go!
                              >
                              > Graeme

                            • Greg Flemming
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 25, 2007
                                "By the way, I don't know whether its
                                kosher to pinch someone elses colour scheme, but I'd love to copy
                                the boat in one of the storage files under Queensland Micro's, with
                                her tanbark sails, white bottom and decks, green sides.
                                Col"

                                Yes Col,

                                That boat you refer to was built by Ross Lillistone of Bayside Wooden
                                Boats up at Esk in QLD and I think that boat is in the Brisbane area.
                                It is called Cricket, I think

                                It does look good alright

                                Greg F