Re: Birdwatcher on Sydney Harbour

  • Greg Flemming
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
      Thanks Rob & Mason

      You two make the mast seem like a non-event, after all - 6' 2" and
      all that may explain it (maybe age, too??). I don't know, I don't
      think of myself as a weakling at all but I find the mainmast very
      intimidating to put up and bring down. I did see in a Common Sense
      Newsletter some years ago the idea of a plywood box channel that could
      be put in (removable)to guide the mast in , so it would stand at the
      mast step point running up to the top of the bow transom somehow, but
      I have never tried that.

      Our boat is only fibreglassed to just above the waterline, but if it
      was fibreglassed all over, I would put it on a mooring just off the
      house. As it is the sun here is so severe that it would be cooked in
      5 minutes, as is. At present it is under a shade sail but the bits
      that get some sun don't look too good after just a few seasons

      Actually, I took John Mann's offer to look at the Micro Navigator
      plans and bought them from him as the tabernacle that Phil Bolger has
      designed for the Navigator version and MICRO II seems to make Micro a
      whole lot more attractive - for single handing, for instance.

      The tabernacle for Micro II is meant to go with the Chinese Gaff sails
      and actually puts the mast on the outside of the existing bow transom
      and therefore puts the mast 30 cm further forward, so a
      correspondi8nmg increase in mizzen size is required.

      The other thing is that it gives the bow a more "rounded" look which
      may appeal to some?

      Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goganrob" <goganrob@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the comments

      Greg F

      > I have found stepping Micro's mast gets easier with practice. The
      > trick is to raise it a little at a time, keeping most of the weight
      > on the sail track (aft edge) of the mast, balanced on the forward
      > bulkhead, with the mast foot pressing against the bow transom. This
      > does scratch up the bulkhead and the inside of the bow transom a
      > bit, but it feels a lot safer than the "tossing the caber" motion I
      > used to use when I was more protective of David Jost's fresh
      > finish. In the early days I tried to raise the mast vertical
      > against my shoulder then gently lower it into the step without
      > touching any other part of the boat. Using the "slide on the sail
      > track" method, you literally step by step, holding the mast overhead
      > and walking forward as you increase the angle skyward. When the
      > mast foot has slid into the next (lower) transom step, you can
      > comfortably walk forward while the sail track bears the bulk of the
      > weight until you can take another step forward and slide the foot
      > into the next step.
      >
      > I still make everyone else get below in case I drop the mast.
      >
      > BTW look for my story in the upcoming issue of "Messing About in
      > Boats" about how we graduated from a Snark to the Micro.
      >
      > --Rob
      >
      > > It does seem to me though that the mast, as designed, is a real
      > > problem to raise and lower although I find it interesting that this
      > > does not seem to be a general opinion??
      > >
      > > However John, you approached this as a problem and first tried a
      > > tabernacle and then went even further with more radical change, so
      > > maybe I am not the lone weakling that I have been feeling, after
      > all.
      > >
      > > Still, I would be keen to hear what experiences others have had
      > with
      > > the mast, as designed.

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:
        > Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.

        Hi Greg,

        I feel like I've missed something here - is there now a Micro II? In
        addittion to Micro Navigator? Wow! Could you describe Micro II a bit
        further please?

        Graeme
      • Greg Flemming
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 7, 2007
          Hi Graeme

          Micro II is the older cuddy cabin Micro with some mods. such as the
          Chinese Gaff rig and the tabernacle mast with a more pointy bow (sort
          of) and the addition of some foam fillets to fill out the bottom near
          the bow in order to reduce wave slapping at anchor which apparently
          many have complained about (noise) These fillets mean that keel in the
          forward part of the boat needs to be deepened by two inches or so.

          That's about it, but the changes do make the boat seem a lot more
          attractive to me, at least.

          The plan modifications are the Navigator ones but just not putting the
          Birdwatcher cabin on, that's about it.

          Besr wishes

          Greg

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
          > > Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.
          >

          > Hi Greg,
          >
          > I feel like I've missed something here - is there now a Micro II? In
          > addittion to Micro Navigator? Wow! Could you describe Micro II a bit
          > further please?
          >
          > Graeme

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 8, 2007
            Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation Greg. I wonder if anyone will
            build her this way?

            Graeme

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 9, 2007
              Well Graeme

              As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
              building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
              those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
              intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
              the boat.

              One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
              to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
              that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 9, 2007
                Oh! ...and a couple more things...the mast tabernacle increases the
                length of the boat to 15' 11" on the plan and moves the mainmast 12"
                further forward so the notes mention that there needs to be a
                corresponding increase in the size of the mizzen. The mizzen shown on
                the Micro II plan mods. is a Chinese Gaff as well as the main and is
                that little bit bigger than in Micro I.

                By the way, to quote from Bolger's notes for Micro II: "Accumulating
                complaints from owners, mainly about sleeplessness due to noisy
                poinding and slapping under the flat bow overhang but also about the
                heavy and somewhat risky process of erecting the long mainmast, led to
                another look at the design, to be called Micro II."

                Greg

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:

                > Well Graeme
                >
                > As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                > building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                > those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                > intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                > the boat.
                >
                > One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                > to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                > that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.
                >
                > Greg
                >

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation Greg. I wonder if anyone will
                > > build her this way?
                > >
                > > Graeme
                > >

                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > The plan modifications are the Navigator ones but just not
                putting the
                > > > Birdwatcher cabin on, that's about it.

              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                  Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work boat rudders for years. I remember seeing a log boom boat with them 35 years or so ago. They do change the way a hull handles at low speed.

                  I think Phil is the first one to put them on a sailboat...or at least his were the first design I saw then on the drawings.

                  Blessings all Krissie

                  Greg Flemming <greg@...> wrote: Well Graeme

                  As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                  building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                  those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                  intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                  the boat.

                  One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                  to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                  that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.

                  Greg

                  Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                  Bolger rules!!!

                  Recent Activity

                  5
                  New Members

                  3
                  New Photos

                  Visit Your Group
                  Y! Sports for TV
                  Game Day Companion
                  Live fantasy league
                  & game stats on TV.

                  Yahoo! Finance
                  It's Now Personal
                  Guides, news,
                  advice & more.

                  Food Lovers
                  Real Food Group
                  on Yahoo! Groups
                  find out more.

                  .

                • Greg Flemming
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                    That's interesting Krissie

                    Yes, Bolger seems to get lots of his ideas from traditional practices
                    ;his enthusiasm for the Norfolk Wherry & Thames barges comes to mind.

                    Both fascinating boats, too

                    I wonder if anyone has read the novel of A P Herbert on Thames Barges
                    in the Dunkirk evacuation, called The Singing Swan?

                    I bet that's a novel that would appeal to Phil Bolger!

                    Greg

                    > Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work boat
                    rudders for years. I remember seeing a log boom boat with them 35
                    years or so ago. They do change the way a hull handles at low speed.

                    > I think Phil is the first one to put them on a sailboat...or at
                    least his were the first design I saw then on the drawings.

                    > Blessings all Krissie
                    >
                    > Greg Flemming <greg@...> wrote: Well
                    Graeme

                    > As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                    > building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                    > those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                    > intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                    > the boat.
                    >
                    > One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                    > to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                    > that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.
                    >
                    > Greg
                    >

                    > Reply (via web post) |
                    Start a new topic
                    > Messages | Files
                    | Photos | Links |
                    Database | Polls | Members
                    | Calendar
                    dead horses
                    posts
                    01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                    > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest |
                    Switch format to Traditional
                    > Visit Your Group | Yahoo!
                    Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                    > Recent Activity
                    >
                    > 5
                    > New Members
                    >
                    > 3
                    > New Photos
                    >
                    > Visit Your Group

                    Y! Sports for TV
                    > Game Day Companion
                    > Live fantasy league
                    > & game stats on TV.
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Finance
                    > It's Now Personal
                    > Guides, news,
                    > advice & more.
                    >
                    > Food Lovers
                    > Real Food Group
                    > on Yahoo! Groups
                    > find out more.
                    >

                    > .

                  • graeme19121984
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:
                      > That's interesting Krissie

                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
                      > > Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work
                      boat
                      > rudders for years.

                      IIRC some time ago I read somewhere in some of the Chuck Merrell
                      collection old CSD Newletters of Elrow LaRowe --
                      http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/pages/letters.htm -- that when asked
                      why the rudder end plate on the then new Old Shoe design was not on
                      the
                      older Micro design, Bolger had replied he did not know other than he
                      simply must have forgot to show it on the plan! It's on the later
                      Long
                      Micro, and obviously now is on Micro II.

                      Graeme