Re: Birdwatcher on Sydney Harbour

  • mason smith
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
      Anent the mast-raising on Micro, I've just been doing it on mine for the first few times and find the method of letting the forward bulkhead carry the leverage while I climb up on the cabintop to lift it the rest of the way is pretty good. Easy, in fact. I'm 6'2", 185 lbs, might not be so easy for shorter lighter person. I think I will put something protective on the edge of the cabin, or on the sail-track.
      What a charming boat in use. I am pleased with my drop-axle trailer, with 5 soft spool-type rollers fitted to the keel and bolsters that pick up the widest part of the bottom abreast the center of weight. I need to provide low guides to bring the keel precisely onto the centerline of the trailer, and then the Micro will be almost as easy as Dovekie or Birdwatcher to launch and retrieve. Mason

    • Greg Flemming
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
        Thanks Rob & Mason

        You two make the mast seem like a non-event, after all - 6' 2" and
        all that may explain it (maybe age, too??). I don't know, I don't
        think of myself as a weakling at all but I find the mainmast very
        intimidating to put up and bring down. I did see in a Common Sense
        Newsletter some years ago the idea of a plywood box channel that could
        be put in (removable)to guide the mast in , so it would stand at the
        mast step point running up to the top of the bow transom somehow, but
        I have never tried that.

        Our boat is only fibreglassed to just above the waterline, but if it
        was fibreglassed all over, I would put it on a mooring just off the
        house. As it is the sun here is so severe that it would be cooked in
        5 minutes, as is. At present it is under a shade sail but the bits
        that get some sun don't look too good after just a few seasons

        Actually, I took John Mann's offer to look at the Micro Navigator
        plans and bought them from him as the tabernacle that Phil Bolger has
        designed for the Navigator version and MICRO II seems to make Micro a
        whole lot more attractive - for single handing, for instance.

        The tabernacle for Micro II is meant to go with the Chinese Gaff sails
        and actually puts the mast on the outside of the existing bow transom
        and therefore puts the mast 30 cm further forward, so a
        correspondi8nmg increase in mizzen size is required.

        The other thing is that it gives the bow a more "rounded" look which
        may appeal to some?

        Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goganrob" <goganrob@...> wrote:

        Thanks for the comments

        Greg F

        > I have found stepping Micro's mast gets easier with practice. The
        > trick is to raise it a little at a time, keeping most of the weight
        > on the sail track (aft edge) of the mast, balanced on the forward
        > bulkhead, with the mast foot pressing against the bow transom. This
        > does scratch up the bulkhead and the inside of the bow transom a
        > bit, but it feels a lot safer than the "tossing the caber" motion I
        > used to use when I was more protective of David Jost's fresh
        > finish. In the early days I tried to raise the mast vertical
        > against my shoulder then gently lower it into the step without
        > touching any other part of the boat. Using the "slide on the sail
        > track" method, you literally step by step, holding the mast overhead
        > and walking forward as you increase the angle skyward. When the
        > mast foot has slid into the next (lower) transom step, you can
        > comfortably walk forward while the sail track bears the bulk of the
        > weight until you can take another step forward and slide the foot
        > into the next step.
        >
        > I still make everyone else get below in case I drop the mast.
        >
        > BTW look for my story in the upcoming issue of "Messing About in
        > Boats" about how we graduated from a Snark to the Micro.
        >
        > --Rob
        >
        > > It does seem to me though that the mast, as designed, is a real
        > > problem to raise and lower although I find it interesting that this
        > > does not seem to be a general opinion??
        > >
        > > However John, you approached this as a problem and first tried a
        > > tabernacle and then went even further with more radical change, so
        > > maybe I am not the lone weakling that I have been feeling, after
        > all.
        > >
        > > Still, I would be keen to hear what experiences others have had
        > with
        > > the mast, as designed.

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:
          > Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.

          Hi Greg,

          I feel like I've missed something here - is there now a Micro II? In
          addittion to Micro Navigator? Wow! Could you describe Micro II a bit
          further please?

          Graeme
        • Greg Flemming
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 7, 2007
            Hi Graeme

            Micro II is the older cuddy cabin Micro with some mods. such as the
            Chinese Gaff rig and the tabernacle mast with a more pointy bow (sort
            of) and the addition of some foam fillets to fill out the bottom near
            the bow in order to reduce wave slapping at anchor which apparently
            many have complained about (noise) These fillets mean that keel in the
            forward part of the boat needs to be deepened by two inches or so.

            That's about it, but the changes do make the boat seem a lot more
            attractive to me, at least.

            The plan modifications are the Navigator ones but just not putting the
            Birdwatcher cabin on, that's about it.

            Besr wishes

            Greg

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
            > > Actually, MIcro II looks just great to me ; worth checking out.
            >

            > Hi Greg,
            >
            > I feel like I've missed something here - is there now a Micro II? In
            > addittion to Micro Navigator? Wow! Could you describe Micro II a bit
            > further please?
            >
            > Graeme

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 8, 2007
              Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation Greg. I wonder if anyone will
              build her this way?

              Graeme

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 9, 2007
                Well Graeme

                As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                the boat.

                One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.

                Greg

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 9, 2007
                  Oh! ...and a couple more things...the mast tabernacle increases the
                  length of the boat to 15' 11" on the plan and moves the mainmast 12"
                  further forward so the notes mention that there needs to be a
                  corresponding increase in the size of the mizzen. The mizzen shown on
                  the Micro II plan mods. is a Chinese Gaff as well as the main and is
                  that little bit bigger than in Micro I.

                  By the way, to quote from Bolger's notes for Micro II: "Accumulating
                  complaints from owners, mainly about sleeplessness due to noisy
                  poinding and slapping under the flat bow overhang but also about the
                  heavy and somewhat risky process of erecting the long mainmast, led to
                  another look at the design, to be called Micro II."

                  Greg

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:

                  > Well Graeme
                  >
                  > As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                  > building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                  > those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                  > intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                  > the boat.
                  >
                  > One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                  > to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                  > that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.
                  >
                  > Greg
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation Greg. I wonder if anyone will
                  > > build her this way?
                  > >
                  > > Graeme
                  > >

                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > The plan modifications are the Navigator ones but just not
                  putting the
                  > > > Birdwatcher cabin on, that's about it.

                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                    Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work boat rudders for years. I remember seeing a log boom boat with them 35 years or so ago. They do change the way a hull handles at low speed.

                    I think Phil is the first one to put them on a sailboat...or at least his were the first design I saw then on the drawings.

                    Blessings all Krissie

                    Greg Flemming <greg@...> wrote: Well Graeme

                    As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                    building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                    those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                    intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                    the boat.

                    One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                    to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                    that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.

                    Greg

                    Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                    Bolger rules!!!

                    Recent Activity

                    5
                    New Members

                    3
                    New Photos

                    Visit Your Group
                    Y! Sports for TV
                    Game Day Companion
                    Live fantasy league
                    & game stats on TV.

                    Yahoo! Finance
                    It's Now Personal
                    Guides, news,
                    advice & more.

                    Food Lovers
                    Real Food Group
                    on Yahoo! Groups
                    find out more.

                    .

                  • Greg Flemming
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                      That's interesting Krissie

                      Yes, Bolger seems to get lots of his ideas from traditional practices
                      ;his enthusiasm for the Norfolk Wherry & Thames barges comes to mind.

                      Both fascinating boats, too

                      I wonder if anyone has read the novel of A P Herbert on Thames Barges
                      in the Dunkirk evacuation, called The Singing Swan?

                      I bet that's a novel that would appeal to Phil Bolger!

                      Greg

                      > Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work boat
                      rudders for years. I remember seeing a log boom boat with them 35
                      years or so ago. They do change the way a hull handles at low speed.

                      > I think Phil is the first one to put them on a sailboat...or at
                      least his were the first design I saw then on the drawings.

                      > Blessings all Krissie
                      >
                      > Greg Flemming <greg@...> wrote: Well
                      Graeme

                      > As soon as I have completed the (modified) Scram Pram that I am
                      > building at present (which is taking forever) I would like to apply
                      > those modifications to the Micro that we have. That long mast is
                      > intimidating to raise and bring down and actually discourages us using
                      > the boat.
                      >
                      > One other significant modification on the Micro II plans that I forgot
                      > to mention is the end plate on the rudder ; in the notes Bolger says
                      > that the end plate significantly improves rudder response.
                      >
                      > Greg
                      >

                      > Reply (via web post) |
                      Start a new topic
                      > Messages | Files
                      | Photos | Links |
                      Database | Polls | Members
                      | Calendar
                      dead horses
                      posts
                      01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest |
                      Switch format to Traditional
                      > Visit Your Group | Yahoo!
                      Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                      > Recent Activity
                      >
                      > 5
                      > New Members
                      >
                      > 3
                      > New Photos
                      >
                      > Visit Your Group

                      Y! Sports for TV
                      > Game Day Companion
                      > Live fantasy league
                      > & game stats on TV.
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Finance
                      > It's Now Personal
                      > Guides, news,
                      > advice & more.
                      >
                      > Food Lovers
                      > Real Food Group
                      > on Yahoo! Groups
                      > find out more.
                      >

                      > .

                    • graeme19121984
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:
                        > That's interesting Krissie

                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
                        > > Greg they have been putting top and bottom end plates on work
                        boat
                        > rudders for years.

                        IIRC some time ago I read somewhere in some of the Chuck Merrell
                        collection old CSD Newletters of Elrow LaRowe --
                        http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/pages/letters.htm -- that when asked
                        why the rudder end plate on the then new Old Shoe design was not on
                        the
                        older Micro design, Bolger had replied he did not know other than he
                        simply must have forgot to show it on the plan! It's on the later
                        Long
                        Micro, and obviously now is on Micro II.

                        Graeme