Re: Martha Jane on Ebay

  • proto957
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
      I agree it looks like a good one. I really like these... I think they
      are beautiful.

      The bidding was higher at one point... over $4,500. But the high bid
      was retracted because the seller "changed the description". I believe
      the reasoning was the change in the headroom measurement... from 4
      1/2' to 3 1/2'. But 3 1/2' seems low to me, looking at the pics, and
      comparing them to the guy standing by the boat. Do the water ballast
      tanks take up sole height? I had assumed the tanks would be on the
      sides, and the sole would be the boat bottom. I looked through many
      Martha Jane sites on the web, but could not find an answer to this.

      I wish I had built this boat, or a Long Micro, instead of my Elver in
      '92. Rich.

      > US$4051.00 & just 12 hours to go.
      >
      > I think I much prefer the looks of the original, as shown here, to
      > the upgraded versions. The all white paint scheme suits too - like
      > the one in Alaska.
      >
      > It's very,very interesting to read the seller's comments that it
      > doesn't need those Bolger reserve bouyancy mods at all. I wonder if
      > he tested?
      >
      > Looks a good boat.
      >
      > Graeme
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proto957" <helio6@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been watching it, too: Ebay Item number: 250180856975
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
      > 3AIT&viewitem=&item=250180856975&rd=1
      > >
      > > It started at $3,500, and has no bids as of today,> --- In
      > bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It looks like the Martha Jane built by William D Jochems

    • Mark Balogh
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
        When I checked on the auction at the time it was over $4000 it appeared
        to me that the seller was actually bidding on his own auction to drive
        up the price. When I went to check the sellers statistics against the
        bidder who appeared to be the seller I got a message from ebay that
        they had suspended the auction. When I went back all the bids by the
        bidder that appeared to be the seller had been removed and the price
        was reduced to reflect the bids not including the ones who appeared to
        be the seller. Apparently ebay does not view it as ethical that the
        seller bid up his own auction.

        Mark

        On Nov 3, 2007, at 11:51 AM, proto957 wrote:

        > I agree it looks like a good one. I really like these... I think they
        > are beautiful.
        >
        > The bidding was higher at one point... over $4,500. But the high bid
        > was retracted because the seller "changed the description". I believe
        > the reasoning was the change in the headroom measurement... from 4
        > 1/2' to 3 1/2'. But 3 1/2' seems low to me, looking at the pics, and
        > comparing them to the guy standing by the boat. Do the water ballast
        > tanks take up sole height? I had assumed the tanks would be on the
        > sides, and the sole would be the boat bottom. I looked through many
        > Martha Jane sites on the web, but could not find an answer to this.

      • Ned Asplundh
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
          I was one of the bidders. Seller indicated that switching from wood to
          alum-tube mainmast greatly reduced weight aloft and made stability mods
          unecessary. He's had the boat for 8 years, so I'm assuming that he's
          put it to the test.

          > US$4051.00 & just 12 hours to go.
          >
          > I think I much prefer the looks of the original, as shown here, to
          > the upgraded versions. The all white paint scheme suits too - like
          > the one in Alaska.
          >
          > It's very,very interesting to read the seller's comments that it
          > doesn't need those Bolger reserve bouyancy mods at all. I wonder if
          > he tested?
          >
          > Looks a good boat.
          >
          > Graeme
        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proto957" <helio6@...> wrote:
            > Do the water ballast
            > tanks take up sole height? I had assumed the tanks would be on the
            > sides, and the sole would be the boat bottom. I looked through many
            > Martha Jane sites on the web, but could not find an answer to this.

            The tanks don't take up sole height. As I understand the layout
            there is a tank under each side bunk for part of the length of about
            4 cubic feet volume each.

            One Bolger design mod calls for an additional 500lbs of steel
            ballast, but I understand this is a plate attached outside, under
            the bottom.

            In some much earlier postings here some builders said they put bags
            of sand etc in the tanks instead of water, so this boat isn't the
            only one to have removable tops fitted to the water ballast tanks.

            Graeme
          • martha2001au
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
              If she'd been for sale in Australia at that price I would have snapped
              it up in second! I sailed once on Graham Cheers MJ Shirley Valentine
              and my lasting impression was its power and speed, not to mention the
              great cockit configuration, trailerability, etc etc...

              Col
            • Andres Espino
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                I wondered if the dif in headroom was that from the seat to the cabin roof, or sole to the cabin roof. In the specs for my sharpie they are measured from seat to roof :) I found it a bit confusing...

                Andrew

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                  I buy and sell a lot on ebay (not boats) and it is against sBay rules to bid on your own auctions. They will boot you out if they catch you. Many people do it by having a wife or family member bid for them tho.. It happens a lot.

                  Andrew

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Hey Col,

                      How did you find those aft sponson upgrades looked in the actual built
                      boat?

                      In the pics of boats such as "Shirley Valentine" they seem to me not to
                      detract from the looks when in profile view (can hardly be seen), but
                      can seem ungainly in other views. I was wondering if that may be just
                      an artifact of the photography...

                      Graeme

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "martha2001au" <cmoone11@...> wrote:

                      > If she'd been for sale in Australia at that price I would have
                      snapped
                      > it up in second! I sailed once on Graham Cheers MJ Shirley Valentine
                      > and my lasting impression was its power and speed, not to mention the
                      > great cockit configuration, trailerability, etc etc...
                      >
                      > Col

                    • Greg Flemming
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Yes Graeme, interesting about the mods, however, he also mentioned
                        that he changed the masts to aluminium tube which must have a
                        significant impact on the balance
                        Greg F

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Searching around the net for any newer info on Martha Jane(s) I
                          again came across the Jim Michalak Newsletter page November 1, 2000
                          http://members.fortunecity.com/duckworks/2000/1101/

                          I don't lightly differ with an opinion of Mr Michalak, but it struck
                          me that a particular warning he gives for boats generally may not
                          apply for the example he gives of Bob Archibald's then recently
                          acquired Martha Jane.

                          Take a look at the third sketch above the caption "KEEP SEATS
                          WATERTIGHT!" Looking at JM's styleized sketch of Martha Jane it
                          occurs to me that water tight cockpit seats just might be the factor
                          that resulted in some early Martha Janes rolling over much further
                          than 90degrees after a knockdown. Consider that a waterballast tank
                          has a volume of about 4 cubic feet and a cockpit seat encloses a
                          volume of what, say, 5 to 6 cubic feet.

                          Consider that once the Martha Jane was knocked to its beam ends
                          there would be 250lbs of water ballast now up in the air and waving
                          about, and that there would be a significant amount of the large
                          cockpit seat watertight volume pushed below the waterline. In the
                          beam ends attitude the cockpit seat volume would be offset to the
                          wrong side of the beam ends centre of bouyancy which would mostly be
                          that of the cabin volume. This unwholsome coupling of weight up in
                          the air and more or less counteracting seat bouyancy linearly in
                          line with it (if not actually directly below it) could easily tip
                          the boat at least so far that water would gain entry via the hatch
                          and lead to the early reported flooding incidents that greatly
                          concerned many.

                          If the cockpit seats were not water tight the Martha Jane perhaps
                          would just sit on her beam ends when knocked down... but then of
                          course the motor etc. would not be supported by their flotation
                          volume... Does anyone know if in the upgrade for the aft sponsons
                          the seats are able to have hinged lids for under seat storage access
                          because the flotation there is no longer necessary, and whether it
                          may be advantageous if they actually flood?

                          The added sponsons act against the boat tipping past beam ends. The
                          addition of a 500lb steel plate design upgrade below the bottom
                          would also serve to act in this way. The trouble there is that
                          Martha Jane was designed to do away with fixed ballast to make for a
                          better trailer sailer than Black Skimmer - with the added 500lbs
                          steel ballast is there any advantage?

                          Does anyone know if the original water ballast tanks are done away
                          with and their space is freed up for storage etc. when the steel
                          plate ballast option is installed?

                          Graeme
                        • martha2001au
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Hi Graeme,
                            Good to hear from you again! As you can tell I'm still pining after
                            a Martha Jane, got distracted though and built a Surf, then work,
                            family,bills, you know the drill. I still have all your letters on
                            building and rigging advice on hand ready to go.

                            From my reading of the upgrades, the 500lb shoe is in addition to
                            the water ballast. I liked your idea of adding extra water ballast -
                            do you know how much extra weight in water was added by your mods?
                            Also my original uprades don't mention and storage ability for the
                            cockpit seats.

                            I must admit I wasn't fond of the look of the sponsons at first, but
                            I am getting used to them. The way I'm thinking at the moment,If I
                            ever get to build I'd go with the aluminium mast, extra water
                            ballast, and sponsons. I think she's heavy enough to trailer
                            without an extra 500lb of dead weight.

                            Interesting theory on having free flooding seats - as long as theres
                            enough reserve bouyancy in the sponsons.

                            All the best,

                            Col

                            ups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

                            > Searching around the net for any newer info on Martha Jane(s) I
                            > again came across the Jim Michalak Newsletter page November 1,
                            2000
                            > http://members.fortunecity.com/duckworks/2000/1101/
                            >
                            > I don't lightly differ with an opinion of Mr Michalak, but it
                            struck
                            > me that a particular warning he gives for boats generally may not
                            > apply for the example he gives of Bob Archibald's then recently
                            > acquired Martha Jane.
                            >
                            > Take a look at the third sketch above the caption "KEEP SEATS
                            > WATERTIGHT!" Looking at JM's styleized sketch of Martha Jane it
                            > occurs to me that water tight cockpit seats just might be the
                            factor
                            > that resulted in some early Martha Janes rolling over much further
                            > than 90degrees after a knockdown. Consider that a waterballast
                            tank
                            > has a volume of about 4 cubic feet and a cockpit seat encloses a
                            > volume of what, say, 5 to 6 cubic feet.
                            >
                            > Consider that once the Martha Jane was knocked to its beam ends
                            > there would be 250lbs of water ballast now up in the air and
                            waving
                            > about, and that there would be a significant amount of the large
                            > cockpit seat watertight volume pushed below the waterline. In the
                            > beam ends attitude the cockpit seat volume would be offset to the
                            > wrong side of the beam ends centre of bouyancy which would mostly
                            be
                            > that of the cabin volume. This unwholsome coupling of weight up in
                            > the air and more or less counteracting seat bouyancy linearly in
                            > line with it (if not actually directly below it) could easily tip
                            > the boat at least so far that water would gain entry via the hatch
                            > and lead to the early reported flooding incidents that greatly
                            > concerned many.
                            >
                            > If the cockpit seats were not water tight the Martha Jane perhaps
                            > would just sit on her beam ends when knocked down... but then of
                            > course the motor etc. would not be supported by their flotation
                            > volume... Does anyone know if in the upgrade for the aft sponsons
                            > the seats are able to have hinged lids for under seat storage
                            access
                            > because the flotation there is no longer necessary, and whether it
                            > may be advantageous if they actually flood?
                            >
                            > The added sponsons act against the boat tipping past beam ends.
                            The
                            > addition of a 500lb steel plate design upgrade below the bottom
                            > would also serve to act in this way. The trouble there is that
                            > Martha Jane was designed to do away with fixed ballast to make for
                            > better trailer sailer than Black Skimmer - with the added 500lbs
                            > steel ballast is there any advantage?
                            >
                            > Does anyone know if the original water ballast tanks are done away
                            > with and their space is freed up for storage etc. when the steel
                            > plate ballast option is installed?
                            >
                            > Graeme

                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "martha2001au" <cmoone11@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Graeme,
                              > Good to hear from you again! As you can tell I'm still pining
                              after
                              > a Martha Jane, got distracted though and built a Surf, then work,
                              > family,bills, you know the drill. I still have all your letters
                              on
                              > building and rigging advice on hand ready to go.

                              Hi Col,

                              good to hear from you too. Those letters would be from someone else,
                              surely, but if you start I'll be very interested in following your
                              progress. It wouldn't take much at all to get me down there in big
                              river country to help with turning the hull either. Good luck with
                              that, and do give a shout if extra muscle is required at any stage.

                              > From my reading of the upgrades, the 500lb shoe is in addition to
                              > the water ballast. I liked your idea of adding extra water
                              ballast -
                              > do you know how much extra weight in water was added by your
                              mods?
                              > Also my original uprades don't mention and storage ability for the
                              > cockpit seats.

                              I'm not sure that was my idea, but now you mention it, why not add
                              extra water ballast? Maybe the forward half of the cockpit seats
                              could be flooding too, and the aft half watertight to float the
                              motor?

                              Looking at the BWAOM chapter on WhaleWatcher, designed after Martha
                              Jane, where PCB mentions an earlier incident involving one of his
                              water ballasted designs capsising and flooding, I note how much
                              higher the watertight cockpit seat volumes are relative to the
                              waterballast volumes. The seats are high it is said so that the
                              helmsman may see over the cabin, but this also serves as extra
                              insurance for the WW birdwatcher hull type in a knockdown event. It
                              may arise from a lesson learned again in Martha Jane - flotation
                              high, ballast low.

                              > I must admit I wasn't fond of the look of the sponsons at first,
                              but
                              > I am getting used to them. The way I'm thinking at the moment,If
                              > ever get to build I'd go with the aluminium mast, extra water
                              > ballast, and sponsons. I think she's heavy enough to trailer
                              > without an extra 500lb of dead weight.

                              I guess it will weigh-in somewhere near the Black Skimmer, but it
                              does have a much more trailer friendly rig!

                              > Interesting theory on having free flooding seats - as long as
                              theres
                              > enough reserve bouyancy in the sponsons.

                              Yeah, it's just a theory though. I'm not sure about the entire
                              volume being free flooding???

                              Cheers
                              Graeme
                            • Col
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 8, 2007
                                Sorry Graeme,
                                Thought you were Graham Cheers, owner of Shirley Valentine. (doh!)
                                He wrote to Bolger and had approved his suggestion to build in extra
                                water ballast when this stability question came up - by all reports
                                it has been very successful. His boats up for sale at the moment on
                                the Duck Flat website - I have a lottery ticket in my wallet......

                                Col

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
                                  For those who haven't noticed, Mike Stockstill is presently selling
                                  his Martha Jane on eBay, basically for the cost of the trailer! If I
                                  didn't already own ten boats, I am seriously tempted to bid.