Light Dory

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
      I read the posts on the Long Dory, which is stitch and glue. I was
      wondering if the Light Dory could be built the same way? I checked
      earlier psots to make sure I wasn't re-asking a question, but didn't
      find any reference to this.

      Rick
    • Bill Parkes
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
        Yes, the light dory can be built stitch and glue, according to Payson's book anyway. The chine logs require a lot of work. In my case, I used the most immaculate white pine I've ever seen and soaked it in boiling water for 24 hours clamped to the outside of the sides of the hull. Then, with help, I used used bar clamps to fit it in. I think I'd still do it that way.
      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
          Using the expanded panels in payson's book, you could certainly build a stitch and glue Light Dory. Michalak, Welsford, and devlin all sell palns for a stitch and glue, small dory. All of these are inspired by (though probably not exact copies) of the original.

          JohnT

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
            Bill, I will be building the stretched dory and I will probably use chine logs. Did you use internal or external chine logs on your light dory? Are you happy with the results?

            Thanks,

            Don

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
              I've built over a dozen Lt. Dories in both methods and have found the chine
              log to be preferable. Much less work in the long run, and it looks cleaner.
              Tim P Anderson

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
                I used inside chine logs. Outside would be much easier I think, but I don't think the boat would row as well. I'm very happy with the result.