Re: Micro Costs

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
      James,

      thanks for your report on your Wish II eperience to date.
      I can well understand why you swapped from Wisp to Wish II for your
      adventure down such a mighty river!

      The standing lug sails you've opted for could be the way to go for
      that extra sail capacity - it was probably easier to get the
      sailplan balanced compared to the other options with spinnakers and
      such, no? It will be interesting to hear your report on the sailing
      performance after you have had more sailing time on her. BTW did you
      keep the mast at the same height for the extra area in the lug sail,
      or go for an increase there too? Did you increase the size of the
      lee boards? How do you find those? I bet they were good over the
      river shallows and near the banks.

      Did PCB say plans were available, James? - I know you were able to
      build from the book and adapt things to suit, but it seems to me
      there are details missing in the book and more plans of some of the
      fixtures would be better rather than adapting things from other
      design plans. I haven't seen your letter, nor PCB's article in
      MAIB :(
      Do you remember which issues they were or what year? I'll be looking
      out for any future reports you care to give here - and any photos ;-)

      Did you leave the bulkhead for the aft well in the same place? If
      you did, is that enough space for clearance for the outboard when
      it's raised, and also is that where you can fit the twenty gallons
      of gas?

      I hope you have easy going with the reconditioning - I guess you are
      going to paint as well! Be interesting to hear how she goes on Lake
      Superior - that's some serious water!!

      Cheers
      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "james caldwell" <jcaldwell29@...>
      wrote:

      > Graeme:
      >
      > I took the plans from 30 Odd Boats
      > (Sarah(daughter) & I had made 265 miles on the Mississippi in my
      Wisp,