Elegant Folk Boat

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
      http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1517959008/

      It is sometime easy to focus on the hard chined Bolger boats, but he also
      has a large family of traditional 'old fashion' boats. The Elegant
      Folkboat, which I recently modeled in Freeship, has delightful classic PCB
      details...I especially like cockpit and cabin layout of this 25ft small
      cruiser published in Small Boat Journal Vol.72.

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007

        > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1517959008/
        >
        > It is sometime easy to focus on the hard chined Bolger boats, but
        he also
        > has a large family of traditional 'old fashion' boats. The Elegant
        > Folkboat, which I recently modeled in Freeship, has delightful
        classic PCB
        > details...I especially like cockpit and cabin layout of this 25ft
        small
        > cruiser published in Small Boat Journal Vol.72.

        Wonderful rendering(as usual!) Bruce.As much as I am enamoured with
        much of our Heros work,the thought of having to make some sort of
        mad dash out of or into that cabin,under less then perfect
        conditions,has my minds eye filled with visions of tumbling down the
        multi-level"boxes",not to mention happy thoughts of taking a wave
        into that deep cockpit.I would hate to be the guy who has to either
        bore for that shaft or even pull it :-)
        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
          On 10/8/07, Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:
          > Wonderful rendering(as usual!) Bruce.As much as I am enamoured with
          > much of our Heros work,the thought of having to make some sort of
          > mad dash out of or into that cabin,

          I see similarity in that cabin with Herrshoff's Rozinante cabin, (and
          Burgundy) which too do not have a sliding cabin roof hatch. With
          Rozianate, it is described as very snug and workable, where you swing
          yourself in and out by grabbing cabin roof lip with your arms above.
          I would try to try it once 'in the flesh' to see how it feels. The
          advantages in 'drip control' and economy and 'sleek spare elegance'
          are obvious. Also, the lack of hatch combing means that waves go
          across (instead of being routed by the combing into the cockpit.)

          > under less then perfect
          > conditions,has my minds eye filled with visions of tumbling down the
          > multi-level"boxes",

          I see in the SBJ article that you can sit up high, or down low,
          depending on your need for shelter. PCB says that the deep part could
          be filled in for offshore work, and that scuppers are possible. Also
          a dog house is possible.

          >not to mention happy thoughts of taking a wave
          > into that deep cockpit.

          I am presuming that PCB has worked out the buoyancy issues

          > I would hate to be the guy who has to either
          > bore for that shaft or even pull it :-)

          Fair enough, though I see that PCB has accommodated the 'pull zone' by
          having the rudder be removable. The engine is forward because, being
          so small, there is no room in the cockpit, and an outboard on such a
          pretty hull is plain wrong.