Re: alternative boat glue for epoxy allergy???

  • ANDREW AIREY
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 7, 2007
      Or,in the case of the replica 'Cuckoo' Chesterfield
      canal narrowboat that the society will be constructing
      in about 12 months time(we're waiting for the wood to
      season),turpentine,boiled linseed oil and horse
      manure.The carpenter who will be building the 70ft
      boat specified grain,not grass fed horses to provide
      the last item.Incidentally,as far as I
      know,Chesterfield Cuckoos were the only narrow boats
      to be sailed.Leeboards were available but not
      generally used on the river Trent(the canal linked
      Chesterfield to the Trent)although in later years
      usual practise was to get a tow from one of the Trent
      tugs,as did the Humber keels.However they occasionally
      penetrated as far as the wash,which involved coastal
      sailing,and leeboards were used for that.Which makes
      me think that PCB should have specified detachable
      leeboards on Weston Martyr and not the bigeboard used
      cheers
      Andy Airey