Tiny cat Build

  • Chris Potts
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
      greetings all,

      I am in the process of building Bolgers Tinycat and am wondering if
      using Scarf joints in place of the Butt Block method has been tried.
      It seems like it would work quite will on the bilge pannels as they
      perhaps would fair better but I don't know? Anyone have any
      experience with a Scarfed joint on a Tinycat build?
    • Tim Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        Scarf joints always bend fairer than butt blocked joints so long as they are
        allowed to cure before stressing. I glass over the scarf with 4 oz cloth
        just to be on the safe side. Tim P Anderson

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
          On 10/3/07, Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

          > Scarf joints always bend fairer than butt blocked joints

          True in theory, but in practice on a small boat like Tiny Cat, the
          butt joint is perfectly fine. (and quicker). My advice to improve the
          looks, use the butt joint, and then spend the time you save on a
          better paint job.

          (Also, I don't recall the panel cut layout for Tiny Cat, but Bolger in
          well known for very tight panel cut layouts, and the scarfed joint
          could easily cost you an extra sheet of plywood.)
        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
            In defense of butt blocks: I used butt blocks in my Chebacco, and I
            invite anyone to find any flat spots or locate the joints from
            outside. I used butt blocks of the same plywood that made up the
            panels. I believe the butts were 6" wide, but can't say for sure
            without looking -- I expect I scaled them from the drawings.

            I thought about using scarfs, but it would have made the layout more
            difficult as Bolger's layout assumes butt blocks. If you chamfer
            the edges of the butt before installing, you can get a good finish
            inside.

            Jamie Orr,
            Chebacco "Wayward Lass"

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...>
            wrote:

            > Scarf joints always bend fairer than butt blocked joints so long
            as they are
            > allowed to cure before stressing. I glass over the scarf with 4 oz
            cloth
            > just to be on the safe side. Tim P Anderson
            >

            > _____

            Behalf Of
            > Chris Potts
            > Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:41 AM
            > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [bolger] Tiny cat Build
            >

            > greetings all,
            >
            > I am in the process of building Bolgers Tinycat and am wondering
            if
            > using Scarf joints in place of the Butt Block method has been
            tried.
            > It seems like it would work quite will on the bilge pannels as
            they
            > perhaps would fair better but I don't know? Anyone have any
            > experience with a Scarfed joint on a Tinycat build?

          • Robb
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hi......I have never found any advantage whatsoever to scarf plywood. I've built alot of boats and some of them have been through all kinds of abuse. I've never seen any reason to take the time to scarf. I also seriously doubt if it is any stronger. Robb

              wrote:

              > Scarf joints always bend fairer than butt blocked joints so long
              as they are
              > allowed to cure before stressing. I glass over the scarf with 4 oz
              cloth
              > just to be on the safe side. Tim P Anderson
              >

              > _____

            • Clyde Wisner
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                I have found it helpful to cut,sand,grind,etc a 45 degree bevel on all
                sides of the butt block before using it. Much easier at this stage than
                after it's attached and I'm trying to glass over it. Clyde

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/magen/17/ron.cfm

                  It is worth mentioning the "Payson joint' type of butt joint. That is
                  the type specified by PCB Topaz, and it works fine being both strong
                  and invisible.