Re: Micro Costs

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      Several years back I believe I built mine all up for $5K US.

      Probably would be around $6500 now.

      David Jost
      "anxiously awaiting the 18' skiff plans from Payson to replace the
      rotted Diablo".
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
        James,

        A WISH II?

        Wow, please, do tell us about it. I didn't think the plans were
        available. What was the plan price?

        This is a favourite design of mine. 8" draft.

        When I saw it, I liked the modified Long Micro "Zoon"
        http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/zoon.htm#start but then I finally got a
        copy of _30 Odd Boats_ and saw WISH II... it's already for a junk main
        and reaching spinnaker like Dave and Anke wished for.
        - Wish 2 ticks a lot of items on the wish list!

        James, how have you found it to be? Did PB do an upgrade plan for your
        outboard? How much payload will she carry? How's the sailing?

        yeah I know, questions, questions, too many ... but I think your
        mention of actual experience with Wish II is a first here. And people
        would love to know more... even just a little.

        Cheers
        Graeme

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "james caldwell" <jcaldwell29@...> wrote:

        > My daughter and I built a 20' Wish II for $6,000. This includes a
        > $2,000 new outboard and home made sails, but not a trailer.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "james caldwell" <jcaldwell29@...> wrote:

        > My daughter and I built a 20' Wish II for $6,000. This includes a
        > $2,000 new outboard and home made sails, but not a trailer.

      • james caldwell
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
          Graeme:

          I took the plans from 30 Odd Boats
          (Sarah(daughter) & I had made 265 miles on the Mississippi in my Wisp,
          but we got tired of locks and camping in mud and rowing into
          headwinds) back in 1999, so I picked the Wish II as the 'size' and
          hull form, then took the scantlings and offsets from the book.

          We built the boat in one 1/2 summers (folks the hull and deck is 1/3
          of the work) I sewed sails with materials form Sail-Rite and we got
          going agian in 2002. I modified the design by deleting the aft bunks
          and put a deeper cockpit (Bolger thought I lost too much righting
          volume, but I don't),I moved the pivot rudder over about 9" and then
          cut a portal in the large transon for an 8 hp long shaft 4 bladed
          prop Honda. I put a tabernacle for the mast just high enough to
          clear the stem and the interior is 6' bearths in front and 5' sitting
          and stowage. I also added a little spring to the sheer but did not
          cut woen the transom. of The rig is changed to a cat yawl double
          standing lug sprit boom one (the main is huge (I added 3/4" to the
          mast diameter) as I like makeing something in light air. I also put
          in 700 lb lead but placed it alittle too far aft having not accounted
          for the weight of the Honda on the transom. I also have room for 20
          gallons of gas

          We took it down the Mississippi in two weeks anchoring at the bank at
          night staying in marinas only North of St, Louis and at Memphis.

          I have had to store it since then and have not tried the sailing rig
          to enough report honestly about it. Phil suggested that I do a knock
          down righting test (which I will) next spring after I recondition it.

          I sent pictures to Bolgers (as I have with all his boats I've built)
          and also to MAIB who published a picture of the boat nearly done with
          a letter and then Phil wrote an article for the magazine next year.

          The sharpie hull form motored wonderfully and I've got a trip planned
          to Lake Superior (I've had to get myself retired (and my daughter
          went off to an art school in Chicago) and clear up some person
          matters before I could do any more cruising, but hope to have a
          report for the group next summer.

          Do not !!! finish a boat bright if you plan to have it out doors for
          any serious time !!

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
            James,

            thanks for your report on your Wish II eperience to date.
            I can well understand why you swapped from Wisp to Wish II for your
            adventure down such a mighty river!

            The standing lug sails you've opted for could be the way to go for
            that extra sail capacity - it was probably easier to get the
            sailplan balanced compared to the other options with spinnakers and
            such, no? It will be interesting to hear your report on the sailing
            performance after you have had more sailing time on her. BTW did you
            keep the mast at the same height for the extra area in the lug sail,
            or go for an increase there too? Did you increase the size of the
            lee boards? How do you find those? I bet they were good over the
            river shallows and near the banks.

            Did PCB say plans were available, James? - I know you were able to
            build from the book and adapt things to suit, but it seems to me
            there are details missing in the book and more plans of some of the
            fixtures would be better rather than adapting things from other
            design plans. I haven't seen your letter, nor PCB's article in
            MAIB :(
            Do you remember which issues they were or what year? I'll be looking
            out for any future reports you care to give here - and any photos ;-)

            Did you leave the bulkhead for the aft well in the same place? If
            you did, is that enough space for clearance for the outboard when
            it's raised, and also is that where you can fit the twenty gallons
            of gas?

            I hope you have easy going with the reconditioning - I guess you are
            going to paint as well! Be interesting to hear how she goes on Lake
            Superior - that's some serious water!!