Pirogue with Wingsail

  • Danilo Acamp
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2007
      I am thinking the Bolger Pirogue construction using the same
      components of the kayak that it can be seen in
      http://www.condt.com.br/veleirok . What do you think about the
      proposed concept?
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
        Hi,

        which pirogue? there's a few. Do you mean the Payson Pirogue as in
        _Boats With An Open Mind_, plans fron Instant Boats?

        If so, Jim Michalak said IIRC that at fast paddling speeds that one
        pulls a wave in over the stern. It would have to be decked for
        faster sailing speeds, at the least.

        The 12ft "Peero" is said to sail well, and the group moderator has
        converted one into a tri -
        http://www.carlsondesign.com/projects.html#Pirogue

        The 16' Pirogue with amas may be good for that fast wingsail rig
        you're planning - it would probably plane! Here's one -
        http://www.floatingbear.ca/csdpirogue.htm another
        http://members.tripod.com/peweasel/index.html and another
        http://www.belljar.net/boat.htm

        You might care to ask over at the sailing canoes group as well -
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes/?yguid=140880010

        Graeme

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Danilo Acamp" <danilo@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking the Bolger Pirogue construction using the same
        > components of the kayak that it can be seen in
        > http://www.condt.com.br/veleirok . What do you think about the
        > proposed concept?

      • Danilo Acamp
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007
          Hi,

          I think that a Pirogue with 14 length feet is the ideal for me.

          I need to understand details of the behavior of a Pirogue with plane
          fund.

          This wave in the stern, to which Jim Michalak refers it would exist
          in all the Pirogues?

          Thanks!

          Danilo Acamp
          http://www.veleirok.com.br

          > Hi,
          >
          > which pirogue? there's a few. Do you mean the Payson Pirogue as in
          > _Boats With An Open Mind_, plans fron Instant Boats?
          >
          > If so, Jim Michalak said IIRC that at fast paddling speeds that one
          > pulls a wave in over the stern. It would have to be decked for
          > faster sailing speeds, at the least.
          >
          > The 12ft "Peero" is said to sail well, and the group moderator has
          > converted one into a tri -
          > http://www.carlsondesign.com/projects.html#Pirogue
          >
          > The 16' Pirogue with amas may be good for that fast wingsail rig
          > you're planning - it would probably plane! Here's one -
          > http://www.floatingbear.ca/csdpirogue.htm another
          > http://members.tripod.com/peweasel/index.html and another
          > http://www.belljar.net/boat.htm
          >
          > You might care to ask over at the sailing canoes group as well -
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes/?yguid=140880010
          >
          > Graeme
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Danilo Acamp" <danilo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am thinking the Bolger Pirogue construction using the same
          > > components of the kayak that it can be seen in
          > > http://www.condt.com.br/veleirok . What do you think about the
          > > proposed concept?

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
            Danilo,

            as most pirogues have hulls designed for displacement speeds the stern
            wave would develop in all of them. It may not be so much of a problem
            if they're decked or have more freeboard. Before attaining planing
            speed the stern wave tends to get pulled in over the back of the boat.
            At sailing speeds they could possibly plane and leave the stern wave
            behind.