Re: More on trailers..........

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 59 , Sep 14, 2007
      Larry,

      Of course you are correct in your assertion, but the original post was
      about a 25' Black Skimmer on a too short trailer, and I assumed
      (that's a bad habit to break) a 3500 pound hitch with a 2" ball and
      3/4 inch bolt (class II) ; and most of these hitches I have seen
      specify a max tongue weight of 300 pounds.
      See: http://www.hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html

      Lewis

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "larryhsmuffin" <lhsmith@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"
      > <l_gordon_nica@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry to join in late, but I'll add on to Clyde's comments; The
      > ROT is
      > > for minimum of 10% of the combined trailer and cargo (boat)
      > weight to rest on the hitch, not to exceed 300 pounds.
      > > Lewis
      >
      > Do not understand the 300# statement.
      >
      > The 10% (approximate) tongue weight is a generally accepted
      > figure. The max tongue weight is a factor of the capacity of the
      > vehicle, ...300# is not an absolute limit, but one which may result
      > from a particular tow vehicle's limitations.
      >
      > Heavy trailer boats are towed,...say 6-8,000 # (not to mention a
      > huge variety of heavier utility trailers). An adequate vehicle is
      > required. Such a vehicle would not have a 300# hitch limit.

    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 59 of 59 , Sep 14, 2007