Kingston Messabout Preliminary report

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
      Can you picture THREE Sneakeasies in line astern, or abreast for that
      matter? Beautiful, with of course three different builders
      interpretations. Pictures to follow.

      Or two June Bugs, one built as light as possible perched on top of
      Paul McLellan's Bolger Houseboat, the other with 3/8" bottom, big for
      and aft air chambers, painetd like a Ferrari and built tough to take
      the abuse expected from the class of A.D.D. public school kids who
      built her?

      Ed Tomlinson from Montreal brught his beautiful Birder 2 tortured ply
      kayak.

      Mike Lapp a Cosine Wherry strip built to plans from Lee Vallet Tools
      and a dream to row. Marked the first time I've ever rowed tandem, as
      we went by other rowboats like they were standing still with huge
      grins on our faces.

      Denny, last name missed for now, had a 17 foot by 5 covered skiff.
      Rockered bottom, 6 foot plus side benches, 8 hp 4 stroke with power
      tilt and a shaddy head knocker of a top. Shades of African Queen!

      Gold Plater of the show was Dave Stutzman's (Rochester NY) perfect
      Sneakeasy. Stainless steel bow trim, laid mahogany decks and drake
      tails, green upholstered interior and convertible top. With a 30 hp
      the GPS showed 35 mph! He had the nerve to make the Messabout his
      launching too! So a prayer was mumbled, a coin for Charon thown up
      forward, and a plastic glass of my homemade plonk was lost in the
      honours.

      Steve Bosquette had his Sneak, Katie! With a 15 hp and sans
      winshield. Gleefully giving rides to all.

      John Bartlett of Fl, and summertime honouray Canuck had his Sneak
      inspired Loon. John built her as an open boat, no drake tails and all
      the tumblehome he could crank in aft, powered with the same 9.9 he
      uses on his Turtle and Bantam Houseboat.

      Bryant Owen brought his Gaff rigged Gavin Atkin Mouseboat from
      Peterborough once again.

      John Gardner, upstate NY, brough a beautiful 12' Aerolite Geodesic
      Canoe "Nimrod" which even beat Bryant's for the lightest boat award!
      His wife Lynne attended with him and had a Six Hour Canoe that the
      pair swear had less than 6 hurs of actual build time in it.

      Paul and Colleen McLellan had their Bolger Houseboat there sporting a
      ligh build June Bug.

      Perlita and I had my heavy build June Bug and trusty Welsford Twisted
      Seagull skiff. Adagio, my rusty and soft houseboat played hoast to
      the Friday Wine and Cheese, and lent its cooking capacity to make the
      Saturday Pot Luck a good hot meal for 14 or so hungry sailors. A 5
      gallon batch of Cabernet-Merlot slowly dissapeared off her stern deck
      box.

      The bulk of the photos in the alobum here titled 2007 Kingston
      Messabout were forwarded to me by Marc Paquette who stopped by
      Saturday for a bit and obviously knows how to frame a shot far better
      than I. Thanks Marc.

      More pictures to follow as they arrive and or get downloaded. A full
      article to Chuck the Duck will follow asap.

      A great time for all!

      Bruce Hector
      http://www.brucesboats.com
    • gravelyrider
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
        'Dad, Now I understand the insanity'

        thats the statment my son made when we got home from the messabout. He got to drive
        LOON solo, got to row the beautiful wherry solo and just generally have a good time.

        next year he wants to do the Rideau with some buddies after getting a ride in Pauls fine
        Houseboat. And may I say that houseboat is a dream to pilot. I was blown away at just how
        fast it is for a 9.9 hp.

        'Dad, now I understand the insanity. why you look at all these plans and buy all these books'

        I guess another generation is ready to take the torch.
      • Tim Anderson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
          How fast is the houseboat with the 9.9?

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
            --- "gravelyrider" <ddvorak@...> wrote:

            > 'Dad, Now I understand the insanity'

            How old is he to coin such wise words of wisdom?

            Stefan
          • gravelyrider
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...> wrote:

              > How fast is the houseboat with the 9.9?

              I don't know. but it's fast enough that I said 'WOW, this thing really moves along'

              now it won't bring tears to your eyes, or cause your face to distort in the wind, but we went a
              couple miles and it was fast enough I could consider going a 100 miles and not getting
              bored.

              It really is faster than it looks, lots faster.
            • Kristine Bennett
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
                OK could you tell us what House Boat you are talking about? When you say a 100 miles is that in a day or over a weekend?

                Blessings Krissie

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
                  I'd estimate a cruising speed around 3/4 throttle of 7 knots, full
                  around 8. Fifty miles a day easy with it's fully rockered bottom. He's
                  cruised to Kingston from Ottawa on two tanks (little itsy bittsy 5
                  gallon tanks that is) of gas.

                  Has a queen size pull out with high density foam, dinette for two,
                  Canadian regs flush toilet and holding tank, propane stove and fridge.
                  Paul carries a June Bug on the roof as his tender. Boat is 4 years old
                  now and was at the 2005 Kingston Messabout also.

                  Pictures in the groups photo album "2007 Kingston Messabout" and more
                  in the files section.

                  Bruce Hector

                  > OK could you tell us what House Boat you are talking about? When you
                  say a 100 miles is that in a day or over a weekend?

                  > Blessings Krissie
                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@...> wrote:

                    Pictures in the groups photo album "2007 Kingston Messabout" and more
                    in the files section.

                    The file title is "houseboat # 481" and is all exterior shots, some
                    interior pic is you search Duckworks.

                    Bruce Hector
                  • gravelyrider
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
                      bolger houseboat plan#471

                      a pic of the boat is in the recent pic's added about the messabout. and in duckworks
                      about the previous messabouts. It belongs to Paul, it sounds like he and his wife summer
                      aboard the boat.

                      i'd say 100 miles over a long weekend. it's just a figure of speach, some boats are
                      comfortable for a ew minutes, some for a few miles, this would be enjoyable without being
                      boringly slow for quite a while.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
                        On 9/12/07, Bruce Hector <bruce_hector@...> wrote:

                        > Houseboat #481... with it's fully rockered bottom.

                        Funny, that fully rockered bottom is not all that different from a
                        Superbrick bottom