Re: Catfish Beachcruiser

  • sw3tom
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
      I came across this discussion while searching for Catfish info. I
      just ordered the plans after lots of research on different catboats
      and decided that this one "fits" me. I will modify the plans to allow
      a more "normal" cat boat cockpit but also retain the canvass shelter
      idea. I don't think that it will be difficult to come up with a good
      compromise.

      The hull itself is similar to many other boats room-wise. I've
      compared it to the study plans of the Wittholz 15' catboat which also
      has a functional cockpit and a forward "cuddy". I think that if I
      keep the cuddy area as designed but reduce the side decks to about 5
      inches with a nice fair from the cuddy that it will work. Then I can
      build in cockpit seats that can also double as narrow births verses
      sleeping on the deck. I will know when the plans arrive and I have
      had a chance to work with them a bit. I don't see why it shouldn't be
      do-able for a daysailor with a camping option.

      I do like the the fixed keel and plan to stay with that. I do think
      that I will frame the hull verses stitch and glue though. I've just
      finished a Mertens PK78 sailing dinghy and while I am impressed with
      the boat and design, I did not enjoy the fiberglass work...and I've
      done plenty. Part of the goal of building a boat is the actual
      building pleasure and I much prefere wood work over epoxy/glass.

      I'm not a heretic though; I understand the benefit of epoxy and will
      plan on using it as fastener but want to skip the filets and glass. I
      have the Glen-L plywood construction book and it should really help.
      I also have a book that shows the Bobcat being this way...

      Good luck if you decide to build and I will try to share my results
      as well.

      Tommy