Re: material cost estimate birdwatcher I or II

  • Rex and Kathie Payne
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 6, 2007
      David,
      They are a plastic nail that is driven in by an airgun. They are
      manufactured by Utility Composites, raptor nails and staples is the
      name they go under, web link is
      http://www.raptornails.com/english/firstframe.html
      They do not damage your edged tools. Can be left in, sanded over,
      won't rust. Handy for some purposes, hold well, but don't have the
      shear strength of a metal nail. Save your clench nails, copper prices
      getting higher all the time. Its like money in the bank.
      Rex

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

      > Rex -
      >
      > Nice work so far. I have not used polymer nails before. What are
      > these and how do you use them? (I still have a few bags of copper
      > clench nails lying around from the last few projects).
      >
      > David Jost

    • Chris Brunette
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
        Thanks Doug, Kathie and Rex for the estimates, very helpful.
        Bruce, thanks too for the thoughts on Summer Ease. Do you know of any
        posted photos / study plans? A quick google search didn't help me out.
        Chris

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
          On 9/7/07, Chris Brunette <gaff_rigged72@...> wrote:

          > Bruce, thanks too for the thoughts on Summer Ease. Do you know of any
          > posted photos / study plans? A quick google search didn't help me out.
          > Chris

          Someone help me please to remember which Bolger book has the chapter
          on Summer Ease. I am thinking it was Small Boats. And, no I don't
          think that one was ever built (so far), which is surprising because it
          would be an easy build to get a great boat.

          Those old Bolger books are hard to purchase, but pretty easy to find
          in the library through 'interlibrary loan', ask your local librarian.
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
            On 9/7/07, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

            > Bruce
            >
            > I couldn't find it in any of the five books, looked through twice, would
            > it be under another name?

            No, it is called Summer Ease. Unfortunately my notes on Summer Ease
            are missing, and I don't actually recall for sure if it is in a book.
            I must be confused and the MAIB article is it. My notes only include
            the drawing, and no write-up. I would like to read the write-up.
          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
              Bruce

              I couldn't find it in any of the five books, looked through twice, would
              it be under another name?

              HJ

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
                There was an article in MAIB 1 Apr 1999-- I have it if you don't if you
                want a scan.

                HJ

                Bruce Hallman wrote:
                > On 9/7/07, Chris Brunette <gaff_rigged72@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Bruce, thanks too for the thoughts on Summer Ease. Do you know of any
                >> posted photos / study plans? A quick google search didn't help me out.
                >> Chris
                >>

                > Someone help me please to remember which Bolger book has the chapter
                > on Summer Ease. I am thinking it was Small Boats. And, no I don't
                > think that one was ever built (so far), which is surprising because it
                > would be an easy build to get a great boat.
                >
                > Those old Bolger books are hard to purchase, but pretty easy to find
                > in the library through 'interlibrary loan', ask your local librarian.

              • oarmandt
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 7, 2007
                  I added an Excel file to the File section of this list, "Bolger All
                  Book Index". It has the designs in the Bolger books listed. There is
                  a page by boat name, one by length, one arranged by book, and the last
                  by brief description. Sorry there is no "Summer Ease" listed.

                  See:

                  http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EPThRpXk8FPhJ_QcSkGNMLv22aAxZ4N215q0RuOxIvKghg0zOYWDmpZxfKGnSRpD4ULP9MhGRtxWIqIXYKcdoXYGxHI6ZQ/Bolger%20all%20book%20index.xls

                  > On 9/7/07, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bruce
                  > >
                  > > I couldn't find it in any of the five books, looked through
                  twice, would
                  > > it be under another name?
                  > >

                  > No, it is called Summer Ease. Unfortunately my notes on Summer Ease
                  > are missing, and I don't actually recall for sure if it is in a book.
                  > I must be confused and the MAIB article is it. My notes only include
                  > the drawing, and no write-up. I would like to read the write-up.

                • Clyde Wisner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2007
                    I think Summer Ease is newer than the books. I bought the plans sometime
                    before it came out in MAIB. I don't have them handy to look at the
                    design number but at the time I got the impression from PCB that it was
                    recent. Clyde

                    Bruce Hallman wrote:

                    > On 9/7/07, Harry James <welshman@...
                    > <mailto:welshman%40ptialaska.net>> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bruce
                    > >
                    > > I couldn't find it in any of the five books, looked through twice, would
                    > > it be under another name?
                    > >

                    > No, it is called Summer Ease. Unfortunately my notes on Summer Ease
                    > are missing, and I don't actually recall for sure if it is in a book.
                    > I must be confused and the MAIB article is it. My notes only include
                    > the drawing, and no write-up. I would like to read the write-up.

                  • adventures_in_astrophotography
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2007
                      Hi Clyde,

                      > I think Summer Ease is newer than the books. I bought the plans
                      sometime
                      > before it came out in MAIB. I don't have them handy to look at the
                      > design number but at the time I got the impression from PCB that it
                      was
                      > recent. Clyde

                      By chance I have the building key in my briefcase this morning and it
                      says the design is #471.

                      Jon Kolb