Re: [bolger] A or C side out

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      On 9/1/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:

      > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
      > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side be on
      > the outside or the inside ?
      >
      > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
      > difference.

      To each his own. I were you, glassing only one side, I would have the
      "C" side be the glassed outside.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        For the amount of work it takes to clean up and seal inside or out the
        C side of most ACX I have seen I would pay the extra for ABX or less
        for MDO.

        Jon

        > On 9/1/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
        > > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side
        be on
        > > the outside or the inside ?
        > >
        > > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
        > > difference.
        >
        > To each his own. I were you, glassing only one side, I would have the
        > "C" side be the glassed outside.

      • efemiket
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:

          > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
          > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side be on
          > the outside or the inside ?
          >
          > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
          > difference.

          I built my single handed schooner with the A side out. I could have
          done C side out. Don't think it much matters. It was easy to fill the
          knots on the C side. I glassed the outside (Xynole on the bottom like
          Sue's; regular glass above the waterline), inside will be painted. If
          you are planning to finish the inside bright, then put A side in,
          otherwise, toss a coin.

          Mike
          http://chopandquench.typepad.com/photos/schoonerpix/index.html
        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
            Hi John, Chris,

            > For the amount of work it takes to clean up and seal inside or out
            the
            > C side of most ACX I have seen I would pay the extra for ABX or less
            > for MDO.

            As I recall, Chris is in my neck of the woods in CO. The only MDO I
            have found was up in Denver and was 3/8", although there must surely
            be other suppliers up there. The sign companies I called down here in
            Colorado Springs all said there was no local source for MDO and that
            they got theirs from Denver. In any case, I doubt MDO can be found in
            1/4" thickness.

            I also cannot say that I have ever seen ABX in this area or in Denver,
            except in interior grade hardwood veneer plywood. Marine fir is
            sometimes available from CO Lumber on Stone St. near the old dog
            track, but its quality is not up to its price in my view - lots of
            edge voids.

            The best material I've found so far at a reasonable price is something
            called AC Superply by Roseburg. This plywood has what appears to be
            a Luan A face that's very smooth and clear. The C face appears to be
            a rougher grade Luan on the 1/4" material and fir on the 1/2"
            material. They don't carry 3/8". The 1/4" is something like
            $20/sheet if I recall. I've built four or five boats with this stuff
            now, and it seems to work quite well, although none of the boats are
            more than a few years old. It's available at Front Range Lumber on
            Wadsworth just north of Jewell in Denver. They also carry marine fir,
            but I haven't looked at it. This is also the place I found the 3/8"
            MDO, which is only single-sided while the other face has plenty of
            small checks to fill.

            For solid lumber, you can get CVG fir in 4/4 and 5/4 from Austin
            Hardwoods on Mississippi west of Sante Fe in Denver. Call first so
            they can have a bundle out for you to pick through. They will also
            surface the wood with their big planer for a nominal charge. You can
            order CVG S1S2E western red cedar from Rocky Mountain Forest Products
            right off I-25 at the Fountain exit. The rough face is not very rough
            at all, and if you make it the gluing face, you won't need to surface
            it. Both of these softwoods are top shelf materials, but obviously a
            bit pricey - still, it's much less expensive than having anything
            shipped and is soooooo much nicer to work with than anything from the
            big box stores. Ash, mahogany, white oak, and other hardwoods can be
            had locally from CO Lumber if needed.

            If you want anything much better, I think you'll have to get it
            shipped in it will cost a bundle. If you do find better plywood
            locally, please let me know. FWIW, I put the C side out and glass it.

            Jon Kolb
          • Chris Kottaridis
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
              Thanks for the info!

              Hard to find boatbuilding type wood around here. I'll check some of
              these places out.

              Thanks
              Chris Kottaridis (Chriskot@...)