A or C side out

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
      schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side be on
      the outside or the inside ?

      By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
      difference.

      Thanks
      Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        On 9/1/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:

        > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
        > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side be on
        > the outside or the inside ?
        >
        > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
        > difference.

        To each his own. I were you, glassing only one side, I would have the
        "C" side be the glassed outside.
      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
          For the amount of work it takes to clean up and seal inside or out the
          C side of most ACX I have seen I would pay the extra for ABX or less
          for MDO.

          Jon

          > On 9/1/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
          > > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side
          be on
          > > the outside or the inside ?
          > >
          > > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
          > > difference.
          >
          > To each his own. I were you, glassing only one side, I would have the
          > "C" side be the glassed outside.

        • efemiket
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:

            > When building an instant boat, specifically Bolger's single handed
            > schooner, with exterior AC plywood side panels, should the A side be on
            > the outside or the inside ?
            >
            > By the way I do plan to put cloth on the outside if that makes a
            > difference.

            I built my single handed schooner with the A side out. I could have
            done C side out. Don't think it much matters. It was easy to fill the
            knots on the C side. I glassed the outside (Xynole on the bottom like
            Sue's; regular glass above the waterline), inside will be painted. If
            you are planning to finish the inside bright, then put A side in,
            otherwise, toss a coin.

            Mike
            http://chopandquench.typepad.com/photos/schoonerpix/index.html
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
              Hi John, Chris,

              > For the amount of work it takes to clean up and seal inside or out
              the
              > C side of most ACX I have seen I would pay the extra for ABX or less
              > for MDO.

              As I recall, Chris is in my neck of the woods in CO. The only MDO I
              have found was up in Denver and was 3/8", although there must surely
              be other suppliers up there. The sign companies I called down here in
              Colorado Springs all said there was no local source for MDO and that
              they got theirs from Denver. In any case, I doubt MDO can be found in
              1/4" thickness.

              I also cannot say that I have ever seen ABX in this area or in Denver,
              except in interior grade hardwood veneer plywood. Marine fir is
              sometimes available from CO Lumber on Stone St. near the old dog
              track, but its quality is not up to its price in my view - lots of
              edge voids.

              The best material I've found so far at a reasonable price is something
              called AC Superply by Roseburg. This plywood has what appears to be
              a Luan A face that's very smooth and clear. The C face appears to be
              a rougher grade Luan on the 1/4" material and fir on the 1/2"
              material. They don't carry 3/8". The 1/4" is something like
              $20/sheet if I recall. I've built four or five boats with this stuff
              now, and it seems to work quite well, although none of the boats are
              more than a few years old. It's available at Front Range Lumber on
              Wadsworth just north of Jewell in Denver. They also carry marine fir,
              but I haven't looked at it. This is also the place I found the 3/8"
              MDO, which is only single-sided while the other face has plenty of
              small checks to fill.

              For solid lumber, you can get CVG fir in 4/4 and 5/4 from Austin
              Hardwoods on Mississippi west of Sante Fe in Denver. Call first so
              they can have a bundle out for you to pick through. They will also
              surface the wood with their big planer for a nominal charge. You can
              order CVG S1S2E western red cedar from Rocky Mountain Forest Products
              right off I-25 at the Fountain exit. The rough face is not very rough
              at all, and if you make it the gluing face, you won't need to surface
              it. Both of these softwoods are top shelf materials, but obviously a
              bit pricey - still, it's much less expensive than having anything
              shipped and is soooooo much nicer to work with than anything from the
              big box stores. Ash, mahogany, white oak, and other hardwoods can be
              had locally from CO Lumber if needed.

              If you want anything much better, I think you'll have to get it
              shipped in it will cost a bundle. If you do find better plywood
              locally, please let me know. FWIW, I put the C side out and glass it.

              Jon Kolb
            • Chris Kottaridis
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
                Thanks for the info!

                Hard to find boatbuilding type wood around here. I'll check some of
                these places out.

                Thanks
                Chris Kottaridis (Chriskot@...)