Re: [bolger] 4 Person Dinghy

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
      On 9/3/07, keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr. Bolger's design
      > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to build a 4 person
      > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a Bolger dinghy that
      > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people. Thanks.

      A Brick is about the right size. I have carried six people,
      (including 4 teenage girls) in my Cartoon 5, and that is more than
      there are seats, but not more than there is freeboard.
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
        My vote is for June Bug. I don't know of any design that more
        efficiently uses sheets of ply more efficiently to produce such a great
        load carrier that rows well.

        (Was going to start mine today, but went fishing in the POinty Skiff
        instead.)

        David Jost, Boat Brat
      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
          I recently posed the same question to Mr. Boger: he
          recommended June Bug. Sam
          --- keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr.
          > Bolger's design
          > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to
          > build a 4 person
          > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a
          > Bolger dinghy that
          > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people.
          > Thanks.

          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
        • michaelmickjoseph
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
            --I doubt Jung Bug is the boat you want. Nice boat but I cannot say
            it is a boat to carry four people with any degree of comfort. I have
            just written to Mr. Bolger and posed the same question. I hope he
            don't tell me that....I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his
            plans) for a design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A
            large pram or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over
            and build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...

            - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...>
            wrote:

            > I recently posed the same question to Mr. Boger: he
            > recommended June Bug. Sam
            > --- keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr.
            > > Bolger's design
            > > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to
            > > build a 4 person
            > > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a
            > > Bolger dinghy that
            > > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people.
            > > Thanks.

            ______________
            vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
            > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "michaelmickjoseph"
              > <michaelmickjoseph@...> wrote:
              > ... I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his plans) for a
              > design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A large pram
              > or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over and
              > build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...

              The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 (the revised wider NYMPH #425),
              and recent comments about MICRO #422 "packing crate" design come
              coincidently just after I chased down what details I could about a
              MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.

              Apparently an 11ft concept of a coastal cruising version of a NYMPH
              dinghy was also looked at. Who knows, it, or similar, may be
              available as a plan by now (There's been time for reflection - see
              below). My impression is that it was a smaller, more simply built
              iteration of the JAPANESE BEACHCRUISER #522 design with a cuddy,
              which would row better in the conventional manner.

              I haven't been able to find out much (= zilch) about NYMPH CUBED
              which is what I think may be a multi-chine seaworthy MICRO
              equivalent, or better. The MAIB article may have some discussion and
              drawings, but all I've found of that article deals with the 11-
              footer concept and not the 15'6" plan. I guess the PB&F article must
              be wide ranging, and cover all the ins and outs of what could be
              done with the NYMPH shape, and to what extent.

              Anyway, you're interested in a REUBENS NYMPH type pram of 12-14ft,
              so here's a bit about an 11-footer:

              I got only 2 archive search returns for the "527". An 11footer is
              mentioned with cuddy and coastal cruising ability in the pasted text
              below:

              "...Ask for MAIB Volume 18, #2; June 1, 2000. Or contact PB&F.

              "Nymph Cubed"
              Design #527
              15'6" x 7'0" x 10'6"
              1800 pounds displacement

              >From the text:

              We got out a set of lines and offsets and expansions of all the
              panels...

              > At this point we had begun to have misgivings about it. It had
              begun to look
              like a long job to finish after the basic assembly; the old story,
              that a bare
              hull looks deceptively like a boat, that has trapped a lot of
              people, including
              some who should have known better. The ergonomics of the cuddy were
              unsatisfactory. And given the prejudice against pram bows in
              anything but
              tenders, and the unfamiliarity of the lateen rig, it seemed likely
              to be a hard
              sell regardless of its merits. We put it aside for reflection.

              > It would have been a highly respectable sailer of its class. No
              boat eleven
              feet on the water line is going to sail very fast, but it would have
              felt
              spirited and been handy. It would have looked neat and ship-shape
              under sail
              since it was laid out in such a way that two people could sit on the
              weather
              side without spoiling her fore-and-aft trim. It would have carried
              enough
              ballast to carry sail very well. Its too low sided to have a
              seagoing range of
              stability, though the high bilge and low rig would have made it
              forgiving enough
              for fine weather coastal cruising. For that matter, much worse
              seaboats have
              crossed oceans, with luck and skill...

              >(>>>>
              > Noisy at anchor...
              > Dry out nicely upright on mud...
              > Only3/8" planking; steel shoe a good idea...
              >
              > There is no place to get really comfortable in the tiny cuddy and
              it would be
              bound to be damp with drip from the hatch.

              > This is one of those designs that is good fun on paper, especially
              for the
              very young, not good value in reality..."

              (pasted here from back at the thread "Re: 2x scale Nymph", Message
              #34894 of March 6, 2004, Mark. Originally pasted from MAIB, I think.)

              Is this 11-footer a possible contender from the Bolger stable that
              fits in a niche alongside Matt Layden's remarkably able and small
              SAND FLEA from the Florida Everglades Challenge earlier this year?
              I'd like a mighty little coastal cruiser like that, has PB&F
              others? Have PB&F "reflected"?

              Graeme
            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                So, does anyone know more about this "cubed" design?

                I "know" from that earlier post:

                "Nymph Cubed"
                Design #527
                15'6" x 7'0" x 10'6"
                1800 pounds displacement,

                and further from the design list and MAIB index:

                Pocket Cruiser - Ref: MAIB V#18No 2.

                That's it! Wow, there must be more...

                If the 11-footer concept is better, as claimed, than some other
                boats that have crossed oceans then this 15'6" boat must be
                something!

                Is it like a pram cross between MICRO and CATFISH. Is it ballasted
                or does it go with the light "no-lead melting" alternative of multi-
                chine CATFISH/CHEBACCO.

                Should that 10'6" read 1'6" for draft. Is that draft salient keel,
                or rockered bottom only?

                Is it like in-shore low-tension cruising CATFISH or off-shore no-
                worries MICRO?

                Has anyone seen it in the wild? Does anyone know what it looked like
                from the MAIB article?

                Wow, NYMPH... CUBED. Big lateen rig?

                Graeme
              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                  Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                  HJ

                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                    Harry,

                    thanks very much. Could you please send it to my personal contact
                    email address as listed to the right?

                    Hmmm.... I thought more than one page would be needed, but then I
                    guess the articles are meant mainly to raise interest.

                    Thanks again. What do you think of it?

                    Graeme

                    > Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.
                    >
                    > HJ
                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                      I would like to see the scan of the Nymph Cubed. Sounds like an intersting boat.

                      Blessings Krissie

                      Harry James <welshman@...> wrote: Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                      HJ

                      graeme19121984 wrote:
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "michaelmickjoseph"
                      >
                      >> <michaelmickjoseph@...> wrote:
                      >> ... I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his plans) for a
                      >> design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A large pram
                      >> or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over and
                      >> build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...
                      >>

                      > The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 (the revised wider NYMPH #425),
                      > and recent comments about MICRO #422 "packing crate" design come
                      > coincidently just after I chased down what details I could about a
                      > MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.

                    • adventures_in_astrophotography
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                        > I would like to see the scan of the Nymph Cubed. Sounds like an
                        intersting boat.

                        Same here. How about uploading it to the cartoons or study plans
                        group files sections?

                        Jon Kolb
                      • Stefan Probst
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                          --- "adventures_in_astrophotography" <jon@...> wrote:
                          > Same here. How about uploading it to the cartoons or study plans
                          > group files sections?

                          May I second that motion?

                          Cheers,
                          Stefan
                        • Ron Magen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                            > 6b. NYMPH CUBED #527 (was: "Re: 4 Person Dinghy")
                            > Posted by: "graeme19121984" graeme19121984@...
                            graeme19121984
                            > Date: Sun Sep 9, 2007 5:31 pm ((PDT))

                            SNIP
                            > The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 . . .and recent comments about
                            MICRO #422 . . .{came}just after I chased down what details I could
                            about a MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.
                            > SNIP
                            . . . it, . . .may be available as a plan by now (There's been time for
                            reflection . . .
                            SNIP

                            Graeme, et al . . .
                            One of my first 'builds' was a RUBENS {NOTE - Was going to be a
                            'standard' Nymph, but thought better of it and exchanged the plans}.
                            Since then I've felt an affinity to the design form. Anyhow, when I saw
                            mention of the 'CUBED' version - my interest was peaked.

                            When the MAIB reference was the only info available, I wrote to Phil.
                            The following is a quote from his response . . .
                            ' I did quite a bit of work on a 2-to-1 scale-up of Nymph . . .
                            I eventually concluded that the design WASN'T good value in a NUMBER
                            of ways, and dropped it'

                            He enclosed plans for an update of CAMPER # 640 {MAIB article dated NOV'
                            95 -original design reference about FEB 1997}. ". . .a design that I
                            think does give value for an equivalent effort".

                            This, I think, is the definitive answer.

                            As this design had no resemblance to the 'Nymph hull form' plus was not
                            applicable to my 'type' of building, I dropped it as well.

                            Regards,
                            Ron Magen
                            Backyard Boatshop
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                              http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1356431720/

                              shows an isometric rendering of Phil Bolger's Nymph Cubed. I sure like the
                              Lateen rig, having used one similar on the Tortoise

                            • Clyde Wisner
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                Right as usual, Bruce. I"ve been getting MAIB for a number of years and
                                I think I read them. I don't remember Nymph Cubed. It's a nice sized,
                                multichined sailer which I think will stand rougher water better. Does
                                anybody know what the plans cost? Clyde

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                  On 9/10/07, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                                  > Anybody got a step by step on reefing this? The reef points show on the
                                  > scan I sent you but I can't work out a jiffy reefing system in my head.
                                  >
                                  > HJ

                                  (Guessing...) It looks like you can reef by bunching up the lower edge
                                  of the sail and then retie the mainsheet to the new clew point. I am
                                  guessing you would also ease off of the halyard too, to lower the sail
                                  center.) Also, I see two brail lines, which would allow you to
                                  collapse the head of the sail in a jiffy without fulling dropping the
                                  yard (I am guessing, to allow you to douse sail during a squall or
                                  when hove to.)
                                • Harry James
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                      --- Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:
                                      > anybody know what the plans cost? Clyde

                                      No plans available, since Bolger didn't make a final design. He thinks
                                      it is not worth it. One reason being a small cabin, others an unusual
                                      design (Pram bow), an unfamiliar rig etc.

                                      Stefan
                                    • Stefan Probst
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                        --- Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                                        > Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                                        With Harry's friendly permission:
                                        Cubed #527/

                                        Stefan
                                      • graeme19121984
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                          Ron - thanks for that additional insight into the designers'
                                          thinking, and your own.

                                          But. Hey, everyone loves OTTER, yet PCB wished he could get all the
                                          plans back! So hold on folks, not so fast. PB&F can pull this
                                          design, it has not been published, but ya's don't have to agree.

                                          Why'd they bury it when most of the comment in their MAIB article is
                                          positive?

                                          It seems the boat is discounted due to some pragmatic finacial
                                          considerations, but not written off on little cruising boat
                                          principles. (There have been other examples of apparent
                                          inconsistency where PCB/PB&F appear to indicate an idea, concept, or
                                          principle at one place which contradicts another expressed
                                          elsewhere.)

                                          I'd say this boat would be wrongly perceived by many to be another
                                          MICRO (one of PCB's self-stated "best efforts"). This likely
                                          widespread conflation would have someone somewhere go beyond the
                                          safe limits of the design, and not only suffer potentially serious
                                          harm themselves, but inflict lasting harm on the reputation of the
                                          designer. I'd say this is one main reason PCB&F are reticent about
                                          endorsing the design fully. Further this design would be in direct
                                          competition with the myriad of other prodution and self-build
                                          designs for centreboard trailer-sailers at this size. This is why
                                          they say it's good fun on paper, but not good value for real. They
                                          don't say the boat is a dog; more of the opposite in fact. (They
                                          recommend CAMPER... In the last several years or so CAMPER has been
                                          recommended when people sought to purchase plans for various
                                          designs.... it seems that there has been a desire to get more
                                          Campers built.... ;-)

                                          One confusion first up is about Nymph Cubed being an unfinished
                                          design. It has a number, and PCB has written a few times that he
                                          allocates a number to a design only when it is finished, and that he
                                          even attaches some importance to the actual number designated. It
                                          may be that some internal fittings design was considered necessary
                                          to help amateur instant builders fit it out, but not done. Internal
                                          fittings are also not done for many other instant type boats,
                                          probably because they are mostly square and the fit out would be
                                          relatively easy for the builder to contrive as compared to the
                                          curves of NYMPH CUBED. It may be that they stopped for other reasons
                                          before completing those final finnicky interior details, and also a
                                          building key. Maybe Dynamite Payson thought it unsuited to market
                                          as "instant" once he saw the finished design less internals. Seems
                                          something similar happened to Storm Petrel... and maybe others...
                                          They say "it began to look like a long job to finish after the first
                                          rush of basic assembly"; not really an Instant Boat... They say "It
                                          would have carried enough ballast to carry sail very well" - would
                                          that have been the fiddly installation details of water ballast?

                                          At first sight I don't like the bilgeboards. They take up internal
                                          space, are fiddly to fit, and PCB also has had issues with them in
                                          the past. They're so small that both have to be down at once when
                                          beating. A single external 6sqft pivoting leeboard (ala Michalak)
                                          would be better for a couple of reasons, and mostly it would not
                                          interfere with the flow along the bilge panel that seems to be the
                                          main reason for the twin bilgeboards.

                                          This boat has measurements so close to Micro that it is really quite
                                          striking: LOA, WLL, SA, Displacement, & etc. I think any bad points
                                          of the design, apart from the marketing ones of the acceptance of
                                          the lateen rig and the pram shape, have already been mentioned by
                                          PB&F in regard to Micro - for example, it's been mentioned that
                                          Micro has bow slap and the berths are damp from companion way drip...

                                          This boat might skull ok. Several other rigs will suit, an outboard
                                          can be fitted, the cabin can be stretched if necessary, the bottom
                                          can be thicker... internals can be added... I'd love to see some
                                          sectioned drawings.

                                          What are those two circular things just off centreline in the aft
                                          cockpit?

                                          Cheers
                                          Graeme

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                            Hi Graeme,

                                            ...snip...
                                            > One confusion first up is about Nymph Cubed being an unfinished
                                            > design. It has a number, and PCB has written a few times that he
                                            > allocates a number to a design only when it is finished, and that he
                                            > even attaches some importance to the actual number designated.
                                            ...snip...

                                            It hasn't been the case in the last several years that only finished
                                            designs get numbers. A few I know of...

                                            #666 Insolent 60 - unfinished and apparently off the table
                                            #667 - unfinished and apparently superceded by AS34
                                            #668 Auriga - unfinished

                                            #669 Becky Thatcher is completed

                                            I have no idea what's in the range between #670 and #678 Blackliner,
                                            but I assume the navy landing craft, AS34, some powerboat they once
                                            mentioned to me, and the various recent fishing boats must be in that
                                            range or beyond.

                                            Susanne mentioned to me once something about when they decide to give
                                            design a number, but I only remember that being completed was not the
                                            criterion.

                                            Jon Kolb
                                          • graeme19121984
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                              Hi Jon,

                                              thanks for putting me straight as the numbering process may have
                                              changed lately with all that stuff happening at PB&F. You've
                                              spurred me to go and read the preface of _Different Boats_ again.
                                              It's one place where PCB spelled out his design process.

                                              It may be that their practice hasn't changed though, and is still as
                                              it was at that time. I misremembered about the number being given to
                                              a finished design. It would seem that a number is given to a design
                                              at the 4th stage when it is decided that it will/can be finished.
                                              This is after working lines are drawn, and they have been measured
                                              for offsets.

                                              Two stages before that the design may be tagged with a name, and
                                              those sketches and commentary are placed before the client. It is
                                              here that the potential of the design is assessed as to whether it
                                              is worthwhile continuing on with it. Have they got their wish? If
                                              the design is speculative, without a client commission, then I guess
                                              PCB stands in the shoes of the client.

                                              Was Nymph Cubed more a speculative design, but with Dynamite Payson
                                              in mind as the client though not committed? Was it ever really on
                                              Dynamite's wish list? It may have passed this stage one way or
                                              another to go on to the working drawings stage and get its
                                              number "#527".

                                              I think it must only have been a marketing thing that buried it. All
                                              the practicalities would have been worked through in developing the
                                              working drawings up to the numbering 4th stage. They got to that
                                              stage, put it down for whatever reason, and as things worked out
                                              never took it up again as they had perhaps wished to. If there's
                                              working drawings it can be built - builder to loft panels, work out
                                              own sheet use diagrams etc, and follow the tack and tape method if
                                              no numbered building key completed.

                                              Jon, FWIW, this may explain why those later unfinished designs
                                              including, sadly, your own have been allocated a number.

                                              Graeme
                                              JUNE BUG wasn't PCB's wish to commemorate his 4th century of
                                              numbered design; his WISH turned out worse than he had wished for
                                              and it bugged him. And so, another wish, the elegant June Bug. I
                                              think all his wishes may have come true that time.

                                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                                              <jon@...> wrote:

                                              > ..It hasn't been the case in the last several years that only
                                              > finished....

                                              > ....Susanne mentioned to me once something about when they decide
                                              > to give design a number, but I only remember that being completed
                                              > was not the criterion.
                                            • graeme19121984
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 23, 2007
                                                Lateen sail handling? It don't take much. One way - Fishing Dhows of
                                                Lake Victoria. Underminimalises (isthattheword?) even Bolger

                                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJpGZtLiq5g

                                                Graeme