Re: [bolger] Re: Thomaston Galley

  • pgochnour@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
      Question for John T ....how much did that Thomaston Galley weigh? Was it
      conventional construction or stitch and glue?

      Tyson in Galveston

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
        One more question about the T.G. ...any provision for floatation?
        water-tight compartments or ?

        Tyson in Galveston

      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
          If I recall correctly, my introduction to Phil Bolger's work was a
          glowing review of the Thomaston Galley in National Fisherman. My Dad's
          boss used to get this publication and would send it along specifically
          for me to read. Back then, they'd have lots of articles on interesting
          small boats. I specifically remember articles on Hereshoff's Rozinante
          and also one by someone who had made a crude little fiberglass sailing
          peapod.

          Payson's book, Go Build Your Own Boat, has 13 pages of discussion
          specifically about the Thomaston Galley, with offsets and plans. Might
          be enough info to build, although of course if you get the real plans
          they might have some extra information. (When I bought the Brick plans
          they had some extra options that I hadn't expected, like an alternate
          gaff rig.)

          I've seen a Thomaston Galley at the Snow Row in Hull. (And, yes, it was
          a pretty cold day in Hull.)

          Perhaps we don't see them because it's likely to be more work to build
          than an instant boat. Might work better and be worth it if you were
          going to use it a lot.

          Too angular to look old world to me. More like in your face. But that
          can be a good thing around yacht snobs, etc. Just don't enter very many
          handicap races with a Bolger boat against yacht snobs. As reported by a
          friend, they'll change the handicap on you until you can't win.

          > Re: Thomaston Galley
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/55375;_ylc=X3oDMTJydmFqdXQ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzExOTQzNjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkxBG1zZ0lkAzU1Mzc1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExODg4MjUwNzc->
          >

          > Posted by: "pgochnour@..." pgochnour@...
          > <mailto:pgochnour@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Thomaston%20Galley>
          > cabezadevacaelpato <http://profiles.yahoo.com/cabezadevacaelpato>
          >

          > Mon Sep 3, 2007 3:26 am (PST)
          >
          > Thanks for the information, gents...looked at the Boatbuilder web site
          > but their index of back issues only goes through 2005...there'
          > s an old post on
          > the Bolger site from 1999, from someone named Monica who built a
          > Thomsaton
          > Galley but no details ..there isn't much information on Mr. Payson's
          > site about
          > the galley, other than that he sells plans for it for 35 bucks....I
          > did find
          > the photo I had seen...it's of a model of the thing on page 36 of my
          > old copy of
          > "Instant Boats," by Mr. Payson,and also, as one of you pointed out,
          > the lines
          > and offsets are in the same book.... have to conclude that the design
          > was not
          > very popular for one reason or another since evidently not many people
          > have
          > built it...too bad, cause it's a very interesting looking vessel...has a
          > classical, old-world appearance to it...
          >
          > Tyson in Galveston
        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2007
            There are decks fore and aft. The photo in Small Boats seems to show
            large cutouts in the aft-most bulkhead but you'd be able to close it
            off completely and fill the space with plastic bottles or whatever for
            floatation, or just leave it empty. You could do the same at the bow
            too. There's a shallow watertight well for the outboard motor.

            It's meant for plywood construction the old-fashioned way, with
            transom, stem and bulkheads set up on a strongback, stringers and a
            ply skin glued and nailed to the frame. (Another look at the plans
            through the magnifying glass reveals that it was meant to be built
            with solid timber planks for the sides. There's a drawing showing
            optional plywood sides.)

            It looks suitable for being built stitch-and-glue, if you know how to
            derive the panel shapes from the offsets, or know someone who does.
            Bruce Hallman would advocate building a little carboard model before
            you start full-size. I don't know what it weighs; about the same as
            any other 15'6" x 4'1" dinghy made of the same material, I guess.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
              Here are three quickie isometric renderings of the Thomaston Galley.

              http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1322596188/
            • adventures_in_astrophotography
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                Hi Bruce,

                > Here are three quickie isometric renderings of the Thomaston Galley.
                >
                > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1322596188/

                Nice renderings as usual.

                Bolger told me on the phone once that the sprit rig on his TG went
                well to windward, but was annoying, if not dangerous to sail downwind
                due to heavy rolling. He said that if I wanted to use such a sail in
                Gypsy (the origin of the discussion was to put a rig in Gypsy that
                would stow inside the boat - an idea PCB was in favor of), he could
                only recommend it if used with a boom.

                I think that if I were to build a Thomaston Galley (and I've wanted to
                for a long time), I might try the original rig from Gypsy, or maybe a
                balanced lug. Dealing with two snotters in a tippy small boat sounds
                difficult to me. The mast position in TG would probably limit the
                options for other rigs, however.

                Better yet, leave off the rig altogether and row it. If that v-shaped
                hull goes anything like my Michalak Robote, it should be a joy to row
                and easy to make good time even in choppy water.

                Jon Kolb
              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                  I never weighed it--maybe 140-150 lbs. Mine was built upside down over molds with a keel and cedar sides--bottom was clued and nailed to the keel, frames/transom and to the edge of the cedar sides--definitely not stitch and glue, but, with no chines, not very conventional.

                  I think one of Payson's books had expanded bottom plamks, and it might be possible to use this to build a stitch and glue Galley. However, I think you would still need to add and carve the ram or snout. I don't know if the stitch and glue version would self jig or not. Potential builders should note that the floor board consumes a sheet of plywood and requires the support of several floors. If I were to build another, I think building over a mold with plywood planking supported by a keel and chines would be the way to go.

                  JohnT
                  Question for John T ....how much did that Thomaston Galley weigh? Was it
                  conventional construction or stitch and glue?

                  Tyson in Galveston

                • John Freeman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                    The TG was of conventional construction, but looks to me like it could be
                    done stitch and glue if you have the expertise to draft the panels. No
                    provision for flotation, but it could easily be accomplished--although is is
                    a wooden boat! Isn't that enough flotation? He gives the option of solid
                    wood or plywood for the hull.

                    Bolger says it weighs 140 pounds, stripped. His is the solid wood version.
                    Plywood might be a little lighter.

                    At the time he wrote the book (Small Boats) he had one, and Payson had one,
                    plus a handful of others. He said that he and Payson loved them.

                    --
                    John Freeman
                    Check us out at--

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 22, 2008
                      The Thomaston Galley gets relatively little popular attention. To my
                      eye, I am guessing it is not the best to windward. but looks like a
                      great all around boat.

                      http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2433524227/