Re: 4 Person Dinghy

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
      Reubens Nymph seems like a natural for you. As Dynamite Payosn's site
      says, "Easily takes four adults with dunnage."

      http://www.instantboats.com/rnymph.htm

      Jim Michalak's Vole has similar dimensions, but is primarily a sailing
      dinghy. I modified one to row and sail (made the mast partner
      removable so I could access a useful front seat). You could install
      better seats for your needs if you want a pure rowing boat.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/vole/index.htm

      Good luck!

      Garth

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
        On 9/3/07, keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr. Bolger's design
        > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to build a 4 person
        > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a Bolger dinghy that
        > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people. Thanks.

        A Brick is about the right size. I have carried six people,
        (including 4 teenage girls) in my Cartoon 5, and that is more than
        there are seats, but not more than there is freeboard.
      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
          My vote is for June Bug. I don't know of any design that more
          efficiently uses sheets of ply more efficiently to produce such a great
          load carrier that rows well.

          (Was going to start mine today, but went fishing in the POinty Skiff
          instead.)

          David Jost, Boat Brat
        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2007
            I recently posed the same question to Mr. Boger: he
            recommended June Bug. Sam
            --- keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr.
            > Bolger's design
            > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to
            > build a 4 person
            > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a
            > Bolger dinghy that
            > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people.
            > Thanks.

            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • michaelmickjoseph
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
              --I doubt Jung Bug is the boat you want. Nice boat but I cannot say
              it is a boat to carry four people with any degree of comfort. I have
              just written to Mr. Bolger and posed the same question. I hope he
              don't tell me that....I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his
              plans) for a design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A
              large pram or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over
              and build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...

              - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...>
              wrote:

              > I recently posed the same question to Mr. Boger: he
              > recommended June Bug. Sam
              > --- keelbolts <keelbolts@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > > This my first post here. I've appreciated Mr.
              > > Bolger's design
              > > philosophy for years so, now that I'm looking to
              > > build a 4 person
              > > dingy, I thought of his work. Can you recommend a
              > > Bolger dinghy that
              > > would row reasonably well and carry 4 people.
              > > Thanks.

              ______________
              vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
              > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "michaelmickjoseph"
                > <michaelmickjoseph@...> wrote:
                > ... I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his plans) for a
                > design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A large pram
                > or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over and
                > build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...

                The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 (the revised wider NYMPH #425),
                and recent comments about MICRO #422 "packing crate" design come
                coincidently just after I chased down what details I could about a
                MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.

                Apparently an 11ft concept of a coastal cruising version of a NYMPH
                dinghy was also looked at. Who knows, it, or similar, may be
                available as a plan by now (There's been time for reflection - see
                below). My impression is that it was a smaller, more simply built
                iteration of the JAPANESE BEACHCRUISER #522 design with a cuddy,
                which would row better in the conventional manner.

                I haven't been able to find out much (= zilch) about NYMPH CUBED
                which is what I think may be a multi-chine seaworthy MICRO
                equivalent, or better. The MAIB article may have some discussion and
                drawings, but all I've found of that article deals with the 11-
                footer concept and not the 15'6" plan. I guess the PB&F article must
                be wide ranging, and cover all the ins and outs of what could be
                done with the NYMPH shape, and to what extent.

                Anyway, you're interested in a REUBENS NYMPH type pram of 12-14ft,
                so here's a bit about an 11-footer:

                I got only 2 archive search returns for the "527". An 11footer is
                mentioned with cuddy and coastal cruising ability in the pasted text
                below:

                "...Ask for MAIB Volume 18, #2; June 1, 2000. Or contact PB&F.

                "Nymph Cubed"
                Design #527
                15'6" x 7'0" x 10'6"
                1800 pounds displacement

                >From the text:

                We got out a set of lines and offsets and expansions of all the
                panels...

                > At this point we had begun to have misgivings about it. It had
                begun to look
                like a long job to finish after the basic assembly; the old story,
                that a bare
                hull looks deceptively like a boat, that has trapped a lot of
                people, including
                some who should have known better. The ergonomics of the cuddy were
                unsatisfactory. And given the prejudice against pram bows in
                anything but
                tenders, and the unfamiliarity of the lateen rig, it seemed likely
                to be a hard
                sell regardless of its merits. We put it aside for reflection.

                > It would have been a highly respectable sailer of its class. No
                boat eleven
                feet on the water line is going to sail very fast, but it would have
                felt
                spirited and been handy. It would have looked neat and ship-shape
                under sail
                since it was laid out in such a way that two people could sit on the
                weather
                side without spoiling her fore-and-aft trim. It would have carried
                enough
                ballast to carry sail very well. Its too low sided to have a
                seagoing range of
                stability, though the high bilge and low rig would have made it
                forgiving enough
                for fine weather coastal cruising. For that matter, much worse
                seaboats have
                crossed oceans, with luck and skill...

                >(>>>>
                > Noisy at anchor...
                > Dry out nicely upright on mud...
                > Only3/8" planking; steel shoe a good idea...
                >
                > There is no place to get really comfortable in the tiny cuddy and
                it would be
                bound to be damp with drip from the hatch.

                > This is one of those designs that is good fun on paper, especially
                for the
                very young, not good value in reality..."

                (pasted here from back at the thread "Re: 2x scale Nymph", Message
                #34894 of March 6, 2004, Mark. Originally pasted from MAIB, I think.)

                Is this 11-footer a possible contender from the Bolger stable that
                fits in a niche alongside Matt Layden's remarkably able and small
                SAND FLEA from the Florida Everglades Challenge earlier this year?
                I'd like a mighty little coastal cruiser like that, has PB&F
                others? Have PB&F "reflected"?

                Graeme
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                  So, does anyone know more about this "cubed" design?

                  I "know" from that earlier post:

                  "Nymph Cubed"
                  Design #527
                  15'6" x 7'0" x 10'6"
                  1800 pounds displacement,

                  and further from the design list and MAIB index:

                  Pocket Cruiser - Ref: MAIB V#18No 2.

                  That's it! Wow, there must be more...

                  If the 11-footer concept is better, as claimed, than some other
                  boats that have crossed oceans then this 15'6" boat must be
                  something!

                  Is it like a pram cross between MICRO and CATFISH. Is it ballasted
                  or does it go with the light "no-lead melting" alternative of multi-
                  chine CATFISH/CHEBACCO.

                  Should that 10'6" read 1'6" for draft. Is that draft salient keel,
                  or rockered bottom only?

                  Is it like in-shore low-tension cruising CATFISH or off-shore no-
                  worries MICRO?

                  Has anyone seen it in the wild? Does anyone know what it looked like
                  from the MAIB article?

                  Wow, NYMPH... CUBED. Big lateen rig?

                  Graeme
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                    Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                    HJ

                  • graeme19121984
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Harry,

                      thanks very much. Could you please send it to my personal contact
                      email address as listed to the right?

                      Hmmm.... I thought more than one page would be needed, but then I
                      guess the articles are meant mainly to raise interest.

                      Thanks again. What do you think of it?

                      Graeme

                      > Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.
                      >
                      > HJ
                    • Kristine Bennett
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 9, 2007
                        I would like to see the scan of the Nymph Cubed. Sounds like an intersting boat.

                        Blessings Krissie

                        Harry James <welshman@...> wrote: Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                        HJ

                        graeme19121984 wrote:
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "michaelmickjoseph"
                        >
                        >> <michaelmickjoseph@...> wrote:
                        >> ... I was hoping (as I cannot find a list of his plans) for a
                        >> design along the lines of Rubens Nymph only larger. A large pram
                        >> or punt. 12-14ft. If I hear "June Bug" I'm gonna skip over and
                        >> build the 15ft fishermans punt from Hannu...
                        >>

                        > The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 (the revised wider NYMPH #425),
                        > and recent comments about MICRO #422 "packing crate" design come
                        > coincidently just after I chased down what details I could about a
                        > MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.

                      • adventures_in_astrophotography
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                          > I would like to see the scan of the Nymph Cubed. Sounds like an
                          intersting boat.

                          Same here. How about uploading it to the cartoons or study plans
                          group files sections?

                          Jon Kolb
                        • Stefan Probst
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                            --- "adventures_in_astrophotography" <jon@...> wrote:
                            > Same here. How about uploading it to the cartoons or study plans
                            > group files sections?

                            May I second that motion?

                            Cheers,
                            Stefan
                          • Ron Magen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                              > 6b. NYMPH CUBED #527 (was: "Re: 4 Person Dinghy")
                              > Posted by: "graeme19121984" graeme19121984@...
                              graeme19121984
                              > Date: Sun Sep 9, 2007 5:31 pm ((PDT))

                              SNIP
                              > The reference to REUBENS NYMPH #516 . . .and recent comments about
                              MICRO #422 . . .{came}just after I chased down what details I could
                              about a MAIB reference I'd seen to this "NYMPH CUBED #527" design.
                              > SNIP
                              . . . it, . . .may be available as a plan by now (There's been time for
                              reflection . . .
                              SNIP

                              Graeme, et al . . .
                              One of my first 'builds' was a RUBENS {NOTE - Was going to be a
                              'standard' Nymph, but thought better of it and exchanged the plans}.
                              Since then I've felt an affinity to the design form. Anyhow, when I saw
                              mention of the 'CUBED' version - my interest was peaked.

                              When the MAIB reference was the only info available, I wrote to Phil.
                              The following is a quote from his response . . .
                              ' I did quite a bit of work on a 2-to-1 scale-up of Nymph . . .
                              I eventually concluded that the design WASN'T good value in a NUMBER
                              of ways, and dropped it'

                              He enclosed plans for an update of CAMPER # 640 {MAIB article dated NOV'
                              95 -original design reference about FEB 1997}. ". . .a design that I
                              think does give value for an equivalent effort".

                              This, I think, is the definitive answer.

                              As this design had no resemblance to the 'Nymph hull form' plus was not
                              applicable to my 'type' of building, I dropped it as well.

                              Regards,
                              Ron Magen
                              Backyard Boatshop
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1356431720/

                                shows an isometric rendering of Phil Bolger's Nymph Cubed. I sure like the
                                Lateen rig, having used one similar on the Tortoise

                              • Clyde Wisner
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                  Right as usual, Bruce. I"ve been getting MAIB for a number of years and
                                  I think I read them. I don't remember Nymph Cubed. It's a nice sized,
                                  multichined sailer which I think will stand rougher water better. Does
                                  anybody know what the plans cost? Clyde

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                    On 9/10/07, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                                    > Anybody got a step by step on reefing this? The reef points show on the
                                    > scan I sent you but I can't work out a jiffy reefing system in my head.
                                    >
                                    > HJ

                                    (Guessing...) It looks like you can reef by bunching up the lower edge
                                    of the sail and then retie the mainsheet to the new clew point. I am
                                    guessing you would also ease off of the halyard too, to lower the sail
                                    center.) Also, I see two brail lines, which would allow you to
                                    collapse the head of the sail in a jiffy without fulling dropping the
                                    yard (I am guessing, to allow you to douse sail during a squall or
                                    when hove to.)
                                  • Harry James
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                        --- Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:
                                        > anybody know what the plans cost? Clyde

                                        No plans available, since Bolger didn't make a final design. He thinks
                                        it is not worth it. One reason being a small cabin, others an unusual
                                        design (Pram bow), an unfamiliar rig etc.

                                        Stefan
                                      • Stefan Probst
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 10, 2007
                                          --- Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                                          > Found it, scanned it if you want a copy, only one page.

                                          With Harry's friendly permission:
                                          Cubed #527/

                                          Stefan
                                        • graeme19121984
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                            Ron - thanks for that additional insight into the designers'
                                            thinking, and your own.

                                            But. Hey, everyone loves OTTER, yet PCB wished he could get all the
                                            plans back! So hold on folks, not so fast. PB&F can pull this
                                            design, it has not been published, but ya's don't have to agree.

                                            Why'd they bury it when most of the comment in their MAIB article is
                                            positive?

                                            It seems the boat is discounted due to some pragmatic finacial
                                            considerations, but not written off on little cruising boat
                                            principles. (There have been other examples of apparent
                                            inconsistency where PCB/PB&F appear to indicate an idea, concept, or
                                            principle at one place which contradicts another expressed
                                            elsewhere.)

                                            I'd say this boat would be wrongly perceived by many to be another
                                            MICRO (one of PCB's self-stated "best efforts"). This likely
                                            widespread conflation would have someone somewhere go beyond the
                                            safe limits of the design, and not only suffer potentially serious
                                            harm themselves, but inflict lasting harm on the reputation of the
                                            designer. I'd say this is one main reason PCB&F are reticent about
                                            endorsing the design fully. Further this design would be in direct
                                            competition with the myriad of other prodution and self-build
                                            designs for centreboard trailer-sailers at this size. This is why
                                            they say it's good fun on paper, but not good value for real. They
                                            don't say the boat is a dog; more of the opposite in fact. (They
                                            recommend CAMPER... In the last several years or so CAMPER has been
                                            recommended when people sought to purchase plans for various
                                            designs.... it seems that there has been a desire to get more
                                            Campers built.... ;-)

                                            One confusion first up is about Nymph Cubed being an unfinished
                                            design. It has a number, and PCB has written a few times that he
                                            allocates a number to a design only when it is finished, and that he
                                            even attaches some importance to the actual number designated. It
                                            may be that some internal fittings design was considered necessary
                                            to help amateur instant builders fit it out, but not done. Internal
                                            fittings are also not done for many other instant type boats,
                                            probably because they are mostly square and the fit out would be
                                            relatively easy for the builder to contrive as compared to the
                                            curves of NYMPH CUBED. It may be that they stopped for other reasons
                                            before completing those final finnicky interior details, and also a
                                            building key. Maybe Dynamite Payson thought it unsuited to market
                                            as "instant" once he saw the finished design less internals. Seems
                                            something similar happened to Storm Petrel... and maybe others...
                                            They say "it began to look like a long job to finish after the first
                                            rush of basic assembly"; not really an Instant Boat... They say "It
                                            would have carried enough ballast to carry sail very well" - would
                                            that have been the fiddly installation details of water ballast?

                                            At first sight I don't like the bilgeboards. They take up internal
                                            space, are fiddly to fit, and PCB also has had issues with them in
                                            the past. They're so small that both have to be down at once when
                                            beating. A single external 6sqft pivoting leeboard (ala Michalak)
                                            would be better for a couple of reasons, and mostly it would not
                                            interfere with the flow along the bilge panel that seems to be the
                                            main reason for the twin bilgeboards.

                                            This boat has measurements so close to Micro that it is really quite
                                            striking: LOA, WLL, SA, Displacement, & etc. I think any bad points
                                            of the design, apart from the marketing ones of the acceptance of
                                            the lateen rig and the pram shape, have already been mentioned by
                                            PB&F in regard to Micro - for example, it's been mentioned that
                                            Micro has bow slap and the berths are damp from companion way drip...

                                            This boat might skull ok. Several other rigs will suit, an outboard
                                            can be fitted, the cabin can be stretched if necessary, the bottom
                                            can be thicker... internals can be added... I'd love to see some
                                            sectioned drawings.

                                            What are those two circular things just off centreline in the aft
                                            cockpit?

                                            Cheers
                                            Graeme

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                              Hi Graeme,

                                              ...snip...
                                              > One confusion first up is about Nymph Cubed being an unfinished
                                              > design. It has a number, and PCB has written a few times that he
                                              > allocates a number to a design only when it is finished, and that he
                                              > even attaches some importance to the actual number designated.
                                              ...snip...

                                              It hasn't been the case in the last several years that only finished
                                              designs get numbers. A few I know of...

                                              #666 Insolent 60 - unfinished and apparently off the table
                                              #667 - unfinished and apparently superceded by AS34
                                              #668 Auriga - unfinished

                                              #669 Becky Thatcher is completed

                                              I have no idea what's in the range between #670 and #678 Blackliner,
                                              but I assume the navy landing craft, AS34, some powerboat they once
                                              mentioned to me, and the various recent fishing boats must be in that
                                              range or beyond.

                                              Susanne mentioned to me once something about when they decide to give
                                              design a number, but I only remember that being completed was not the
                                              criterion.

                                              Jon Kolb
                                            • graeme19121984
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                                                Hi Jon,

                                                thanks for putting me straight as the numbering process may have
                                                changed lately with all that stuff happening at PB&F. You've
                                                spurred me to go and read the preface of _Different Boats_ again.
                                                It's one place where PCB spelled out his design process.

                                                It may be that their practice hasn't changed though, and is still as
                                                it was at that time. I misremembered about the number being given to
                                                a finished design. It would seem that a number is given to a design
                                                at the 4th stage when it is decided that it will/can be finished.
                                                This is after working lines are drawn, and they have been measured
                                                for offsets.

                                                Two stages before that the design may be tagged with a name, and
                                                those sketches and commentary are placed before the client. It is
                                                here that the potential of the design is assessed as to whether it
                                                is worthwhile continuing on with it. Have they got their wish? If
                                                the design is speculative, without a client commission, then I guess
                                                PCB stands in the shoes of the client.

                                                Was Nymph Cubed more a speculative design, but with Dynamite Payson
                                                in mind as the client though not committed? Was it ever really on
                                                Dynamite's wish list? It may have passed this stage one way or
                                                another to go on to the working drawings stage and get its
                                                number "#527".

                                                I think it must only have been a marketing thing that buried it. All
                                                the practicalities would have been worked through in developing the
                                                working drawings up to the numbering 4th stage. They got to that
                                                stage, put it down for whatever reason, and as things worked out
                                                never took it up again as they had perhaps wished to. If there's
                                                working drawings it can be built - builder to loft panels, work out
                                                own sheet use diagrams etc, and follow the tack and tape method if
                                                no numbered building key completed.

                                                Jon, FWIW, this may explain why those later unfinished designs
                                                including, sadly, your own have been allocated a number.

                                                Graeme
                                                JUNE BUG wasn't PCB's wish to commemorate his 4th century of
                                                numbered design; his WISH turned out worse than he had wished for
                                                and it bugged him. And so, another wish, the elegant June Bug. I
                                                think all his wishes may have come true that time.

                                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                                                <jon@...> wrote:

                                                > ..It hasn't been the case in the last several years that only
                                                > finished....

                                                > ....Susanne mentioned to me once something about when they decide
                                                > to give design a number, but I only remember that being completed
                                                > was not the criterion.
                                              • graeme19121984
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 23, 2007
                                                  Lateen sail handling? It don't take much. One way - Fishing Dhows of
                                                  Lake Victoria. Underminimalises (isthattheword?) even Bolger

                                                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJpGZtLiq5g

                                                  Graeme