Re: [bolger] Re: Thomaston Galley

  • echo172@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2 12:56 PM
      Boatbuilder magazine had a 3 part series, start to finish, payson wrote it I believe. 2007 issues.

    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2 1:15 PM
        I actually built a Thomaston Galley in the early 70's--used it as a row boat for recreation, duck hunting and fishing. It was pleasant to row and had a lot of reserve stability. PCB kept one for awile and expressed a fondness for the boat. He used a similiar hull form for his cartoon of a Ceremonial Barge in BWAOM. However, I note that PCB currently uses a Spur II. Times, styles, and age change, but the Thomaston Galley was a nice boat. Mine perished in a micro burst/mini tornado and I haven't built another.

        JohnT
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2 7:28 PM
          Tyson,

          I may be one of the few to have ever seen one in the wild. A friend
          built one to the rowing motoring stage. I almost bought it from him at
          that point. $200... great deal, but I wanted to build a boat with my
          two sons - just for the experience. I went out with him a few times.
          It rowed nicely. The motor he had on it was a little Seagull (the
          industrial revolution's best mechanism for converting petrol to vast
          quantities and fumes). Motor was so loud it was hard to concentrate on
          the boat. Friend moved. Never saw it sail. Looks were slightly odd:
          fat butt, pointy nose. My friend was quite knowledgeable about small
          boat, and he was very pleased with it.

          Cheers,
          David Graybeal
          Portland, OR

          "Just because you are blind and unable to see my beauty doesn't mean
          it does not exist" -- Margaret Cho

          ***************

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@... wrote:

          > Howdy ...not a regular here but sometimes read postings on this
          site..have
          > built two Teals so figure I qualify as at least a Junior Level
          > Bolgerista...have been trying to find some photos or other
          information about a boat called
          > the Thomaston Galley..not able to find much and maybe there's a good
          reason for
          > that...not sure when and where but saw a photo of it once and
          something about
          > it caught my eye...any helpful info would be appreciated
          >
          > Tyson in Galveston

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2 7:34 PM
            Hi Tyson,

            There's a picture of one sailing at page 82 of Dynamite Payson's first
            book, "Instant Boats", and a bit of background info about there. At
            page 36 there's a photo of 3 models made by Dynamite of Surf, Teal, and
            TG lined up together. Lines and offsets are at Page 32.

            TG plans are sold by Dynamite as "non-instant" boat plans as it's built
            on a strongback etc.

            Graeme

          • pgochnour@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3 3:25 AM
              Thanks for the information, gents...looked at the Boatbuilder web site
              but their index of back issues only goes through 2005...there's an old post on
              the Bolger site from 1999, from someone named Monica who built a Thomsaton
              Galley but no details ..there isn't much information on Mr. Payson's site about
              the galley, other than that he sells plans for it for 35 bucks....I did find
              the photo I had seen...it's of a model of the thing on page 36 of my old copy of
              "Instant Boats," by Mr. Payson,and also, as one of you pointed out, the lines
              and offsets are in the same book.... have to conclude that the design was not
              very popular for one reason or another since evidently not many people have
              built it...too bad, cause it's a very interesting looking vessel...has a
              classical, old-world appearance to it...

              Tyson in Galveston

            • John Freeman
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3 2:41 PM
                The Thomaston Galley was friend Bolger's attempt to design a small boat that
                would do everything well--sail, row, and motor. The unusual appearance was
                the result of this process, and to everyone's surprise (including, I suspect
                Phil himself!) it seemed to work well at all three.

                Once upon a time, many years ago, I thought long and hard about building
                one, both because Bolger said it works well, and because I really liked the
                unusual looks of it. It didn't happen, like so many great ideas in life. I
                wish I had done it.

                --
                John Freeman
                Check us out at--

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3 3:42 PM
                  Question for John T ....how much did that Thomaston Galley weigh? Was it
                  conventional construction or stitch and glue?

                  Tyson in Galveston

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 3 4:14 PM
                    One more question about the T.G. ...any provision for floatation?
                    water-tight compartments or ?

                    Tyson in Galveston

                  • Lincoln Ross
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3 7:37 PM
                      If I recall correctly, my introduction to Phil Bolger's work was a
                      glowing review of the Thomaston Galley in National Fisherman. My Dad's
                      boss used to get this publication and would send it along specifically
                      for me to read. Back then, they'd have lots of articles on interesting
                      small boats. I specifically remember articles on Hereshoff's Rozinante
                      and also one by someone who had made a crude little fiberglass sailing
                      peapod.

                      Payson's book, Go Build Your Own Boat, has 13 pages of discussion
                      specifically about the Thomaston Galley, with offsets and plans. Might
                      be enough info to build, although of course if you get the real plans
                      they might have some extra information. (When I bought the Brick plans
                      they had some extra options that I hadn't expected, like an alternate
                      gaff rig.)

                      I've seen a Thomaston Galley at the Snow Row in Hull. (And, yes, it was
                      a pretty cold day in Hull.)

                      Perhaps we don't see them because it's likely to be more work to build
                      than an instant boat. Might work better and be worth it if you were
                      going to use it a lot.

                      Too angular to look old world to me. More like in your face. But that
                      can be a good thing around yacht snobs, etc. Just don't enter very many
                      handicap races with a Bolger boat against yacht snobs. As reported by a
                      friend, they'll change the handicap on you until you can't win.

                      > Re: Thomaston Galley
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/55375;_ylc=X3oDMTJydmFqdXQ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzExOTQzNjkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkxBG1zZ0lkAzU1Mzc1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExODg4MjUwNzc->
                      >

                      > Posted by: "pgochnour@..." pgochnour@...
                      > <mailto:pgochnour@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Thomaston%20Galley>
                      > cabezadevacaelpato <http://profiles.yahoo.com/cabezadevacaelpato>
                      >

                      > Mon Sep 3, 2007 3:26 am (PST)
                      >
                      > Thanks for the information, gents...looked at the Boatbuilder web site
                      > but their index of back issues only goes through 2005...there'
                      > s an old post on
                      > the Bolger site from 1999, from someone named Monica who built a
                      > Thomsaton
                      > Galley but no details ..there isn't much information on Mr. Payson's
                      > site about
                      > the galley, other than that he sells plans for it for 35 bucks....I
                      > did find
                      > the photo I had seen...it's of a model of the thing on page 36 of my
                      > old copy of
                      > "Instant Boats," by Mr. Payson,and also, as one of you pointed out,
                      > the lines
                      > and offsets are in the same book.... have to conclude that the design
                      > was not
                      > very popular for one reason or another since evidently not many people
                      > have
                      > built it...too bad, cause it's a very interesting looking vessel...has a
                      > classical, old-world appearance to it...
                      >
                      > Tyson in Galveston
                    • Howard Stephenson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3 8:09 PM
                        There are decks fore and aft. The photo in Small Boats seems to show
                        large cutouts in the aft-most bulkhead but you'd be able to close it
                        off completely and fill the space with plastic bottles or whatever for
                        floatation, or just leave it empty. You could do the same at the bow
                        too. There's a shallow watertight well for the outboard motor.

                        It's meant for plywood construction the old-fashioned way, with
                        transom, stem and bulkheads set up on a strongback, stringers and a
                        ply skin glued and nailed to the frame. (Another look at the plans
                        through the magnifying glass reveals that it was meant to be built
                        with solid timber planks for the sides. There's a drawing showing
                        optional plywood sides.)

                        It looks suitable for being built stitch-and-glue, if you know how to
                        derive the panel shapes from the offsets, or know someone who does.
                        Bruce Hallman would advocate building a little carboard model before
                        you start full-size. I don't know what it weighs; about the same as
                        any other 15'6" x 4'1" dinghy made of the same material, I guess.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 4 9:30 AM
                          Here are three quickie isometric renderings of the Thomaston Galley.

                          http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1322596188/
                        • adventures_in_astrophotography
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 4 9:51 AM
                            Hi Bruce,

                            > Here are three quickie isometric renderings of the Thomaston Galley.
                            >
                            > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1322596188/

                            Nice renderings as usual.

                            Bolger told me on the phone once that the sprit rig on his TG went
                            well to windward, but was annoying, if not dangerous to sail downwind
                            due to heavy rolling. He said that if I wanted to use such a sail in
                            Gypsy (the origin of the discussion was to put a rig in Gypsy that
                            would stow inside the boat - an idea PCB was in favor of), he could
                            only recommend it if used with a boom.

                            I think that if I were to build a Thomaston Galley (and I've wanted to
                            for a long time), I might try the original rig from Gypsy, or maybe a
                            balanced lug. Dealing with two snotters in a tippy small boat sounds
                            difficult to me. The mast position in TG would probably limit the
                            options for other rigs, however.

                            Better yet, leave off the rig altogether and row it. If that v-shaped
                            hull goes anything like my Michalak Robote, it should be a joy to row
                            and easy to make good time even in choppy water.

                            Jon Kolb
                          • John and Kathy Trussell
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 4 5:52 PM
                              I never weighed it--maybe 140-150 lbs. Mine was built upside down over molds with a keel and cedar sides--bottom was clued and nailed to the keel, frames/transom and to the edge of the cedar sides--definitely not stitch and glue, but, with no chines, not very conventional.

                              I think one of Payson's books had expanded bottom plamks, and it might be possible to use this to build a stitch and glue Galley. However, I think you would still need to add and carve the ram or snout. I don't know if the stitch and glue version would self jig or not. Potential builders should note that the floor board consumes a sheet of plywood and requires the support of several floors. If I were to build another, I think building over a mold with plywood planking supported by a keel and chines would be the way to go.

                              JohnT

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 4 9:08 PM
                                The TG was of conventional construction, but looks to me like it could be
                                done stitch and glue if you have the expertise to draft the panels. No
                                provision for flotation, but it could easily be accomplished--although is is
                                a wooden boat! Isn't that enough flotation? He gives the option of solid
                                wood or plywood for the hull.

                                Bolger says it weighs 140 pounds, stripped. His is the solid wood version.
                                Plywood might be a little lighter.

                                At the time he wrote the book (Small Boats) he had one, and Payson had one,
                                plus a handful of others. He said that he and Payson loved them.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 22, 2008
                                  The Thomaston Galley gets relatively little popular attention. To my
                                  eye, I am guessing it is not the best to windward. but looks like a
                                  great all around boat.

                                  http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2433524227/