Re: Gold-plated June Bug

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      > I saw this advertised on Yachtworld ... I've nothing to do with it but
      > was quite impressed. I've sometimes wondered what a June Bug might
      > look like if someone did a really nice job. Love the curved decks for
      > and aft
      > http://tinyurl.com/yv3ua3

      It's not outfitted for sailing, and they want upwards of $8,000. Here's
      my prediction--it will not sell for any price in that neighborhood, nor
      any neighborhood with $6,500 of it.

      It's nice, but not as terrific beauty, either. The coaming is nice, but
      it should be raised, and solid mahogany or teak. The cleats fore and aft
      are OK, but they do not appear to be bronze, and they should be on
      raised plates to protect the varnish in the vicinity, etc. And I am
      puzzled why the boat was not also prepared for sail. The oarlock appear
      to be inexpensive steel, not even galvanized. A fine flat-bottomed
      rowboat should have a grating to raise the feet above the slop water the
      inevitably comes in (perhaps from the oars).

      I fear the builder wants to pay him or herself back for labor, and
      calculated the price from that. Price is, however, set by demand and
      supply, and there is very little demand at the price, I'll vow.