Re: spar dimensions for small lugsail?

  • Lynn Watson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "macinkos" <smacinko@...> wrote:

      > I am adapting a small balanced lugsail (yard 8'6"; boom 6'2") to an
      Auray Punt...

      Hmmm, sailing an Auray -- sounds fun. As for scantlings, this might be
      germane: I put a balanced lug on a Cartopper, and loved it! It was 64
      sq ft, with a 9' yard and a 10' boom, both finished round and tapered.

      The yard was about 1 3/8" at the thickest, and turned out a little
      bendy for the flat-cut sail. The boom was maybe 1 1/4" at most and
      worked just right. Turns out that the boom forces on a balanced lug
      are much lighter than with a standard gooseneck type boom, because the
      rig is inherently self-vanging. On a regular rig, most of the stress
      is on the end of the boom, to pull in the upper leech and reduce
      twist. With a balanced lug, this is largely done by the tension in the
      downhaul and the luff (Make the luff _strong_!). If you put some round
      in the head, say 1-2", you can use the downhaul to flatten the sail in
      stronger winds.

      I put two reefs in, with the second reef just below the throat, and
      got a faux-lateen sail of about 35 sqft for big air. Worked great!

      Good luck, and post some pictures when you're done.

      Lynn