transoceanic micros

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2007
      are there any published accounts of micros or long micros crossing an
      ocean?
    • Thomas Schmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2007
        Do you mean Bolger Micros? Or the boat "class" known as micros in
        general? For Bolger Micros there's only a crossing of the Tasman Sea
        that I know of, but nothing longer than that.

        Cheers
        Thomas

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007

          > are there any published accounts of micros or long micros crossing an
          > ocean?

          PB&F would definitely say that the Micro is not for crossing oceans,
          mostly due to the limitiation of the theoretical maximum hull speed of
          a 15'4 hull versus the capacity to carry food and water.

          Some help me remember please. About fifteen years ago, there was an
          artist that built three gorgeous Micros, with their self tending cat
          yawl rigs, and let them go sailing away empty...crossing the Atlantic.
        • mrfirkin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007

            > > are there any published accounts of micros or long micros crossing
            an
            > > ocean?
            >

            > PB&F would definitely say that the Micro is not for crossing oceans,
            > mostly due to the limitiation of the theoretical maximum hull speed of
            > a 15'4 hull versus the capacity to carry food and water.
            >
            > Some help me remember please. About fifteen years ago, there was an
            > artist that built three gorgeous Micros, with their self tending cat
            > yawl rigs, and let them go sailing away empty...crossing the Atlantic.

            Cripes! Wish I could find one of them washed up somewhere!

            I read somewhere that a Martha Jane had crossed Bass Straight to
            Tasmania. not sure about any Micro adventures of this kind though.

            Cheers,

            paul.