RE: [bolger] Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
      think I have asked before but I don't remember if
      anyone told me where to find the plans.

      Krissie

      --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

      > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
      > box keel) to 10 feet and I
      > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
      > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
      > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
      > off the beavertails when
      > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
      > problems on the Retriever. It
      > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
      > banked beautifully in
      > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
      > Under-layment Ply which is
      > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
      > to cut it up to throw it
      > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
      > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
      > Anderson

    • Tim Anderson
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
        Bernie Wolford (sp?)

        _____

        --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
        earthlink.net> wrote:

        > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
        > box keel) to 10 feet and I
        > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
        > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
        > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
        > off the beavertails when
        > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
        > problems on the Retriever. It
        > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
        > banked beautifully in
        > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
        > Under-layment Ply which is
        > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
        > to cut it up to throw it
        > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
        > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
        > Anderson

        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
        for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
        http://get.games
        <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
        yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

      • Clyde Wisner
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
          How about PCB & Friends?

          Tim Anderson wrote:

          > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Ron Schroeder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
            the years.

            You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
            glass the below waterline seams.

            My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
            much effort I go into.

            Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

            I am in Long Island NY.

            Ron

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

            > Thanks
            > A couple of questions..
            > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
            stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
            > What would you as for the full modified plans?
            > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
            flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
            wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
            whats the free board?
            > Thanks
            > Dave
            > where are you? I'm in SC
          • dave seeton
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
              Thanks
              How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
              will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
              Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
              Dave

              Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

              I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
              the years.

              You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
              glass the below waterline seams.

              My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
              much effort I go into.

              Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

              I am in Long Island NY.

              Ron

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

              > Thanks
              > A couple of questions..
              > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
              stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
              > What would you as for the full modified plans?
              > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
              flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
              wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
              whats the free board?
              > Thanks
              > Dave
              > where are you? I'm in SC

            • Ron Schroeder
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                Ron

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                > Thanks
                > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                boat with out resin & glass?
                > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                your done.
                > Dave
              • dave seeton
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                  I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                  Dave

                  Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                  I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                  the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                  more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                  displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                  Ron

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks
                  > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                  don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                  boat with out resin & glass?
                  > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                  > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                  your done.
                  > Dave

                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                    but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                    Jon

                    > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                    Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                    > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                    tite
                    > boat with out resin & glass?
                    > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                    > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                    when
                    > your done.
                    > > Dave

                  • Ron Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                      I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                      sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                      weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                      drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                      correct when trimmed level.

                      Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                      bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                      of a box keel.

                      I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                      the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                      could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                      but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                      I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.