Re: [bolger] Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • dave seeton
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      In NMHO it lost all of sneakeasy's charm & class
      Dave

      Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

      > FYI
      >
      > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
      > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
      > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
      > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
      > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
      >
      > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
      > planing on a 4 hp.
      >
      > Bryant

      Hi Bryant,

      Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
      bay.

      Ron

    • Tim Anderson
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        The bottom of the box Keel was ½ inch, all else was ¼ inch. I only glassed
        the outboard faces with 4 oz. I put in longitudinal seats of ¼ ply spaced 1
        ½ inches above the upper hull bottom, the void was filled with pour in
        place foam. TA

        _____

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
          think I have asked before but I don't remember if
          anyone told me where to find the plans.

          Krissie

          --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

          > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
          > box keel) to 10 feet and I
          > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
          > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
          > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
          > off the beavertails when
          > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
          > problems on the Retriever. It
          > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
          > banked beautifully in
          > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
          > Under-layment Ply which is
          > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
          > to cut it up to throw it
          > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
          > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
          > Anderson

        • Tim Anderson
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
            Bernie Wolford (sp?)

            _____

            --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
            earthlink.net> wrote:

            > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
            > box keel) to 10 feet and I
            > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
            > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
            > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
            > off the beavertails when
            > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
            > problems on the Retriever. It
            > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
            > banked beautifully in
            > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
            > Under-layment Ply which is
            > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
            > to cut it up to throw it
            > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
            > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
            > Anderson

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
            for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
            http://get.games
            <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
            yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

          • Clyde Wisner
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
              How about PCB & Friends?

              Tim Anderson wrote:

              > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Ron Schroeder
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                Hi Dave,

                I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                the years.

                You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                glass the below waterline seams.

                My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                much effort I go into.

                Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                I am in Long Island NY.

                Ron

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                > Thanks
                > A couple of questions..
                > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                whats the free board?
                > Thanks
                > Dave
                > where are you? I'm in SC
              • dave seeton
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Thanks
                  How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
                  will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                  Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
                  Dave

                  Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                  I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                  the years.

                  You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                  glass the below waterline seams.

                  My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                  much effort I go into.

                  Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                  I am in Long Island NY.

                  Ron

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks
                  > A couple of questions..
                  > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                  stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                  > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                  > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                  flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                  wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                  whats the free board?
                  > Thanks
                  > Dave
                  > where are you? I'm in SC

                • Ron Schroeder
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                    I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                    the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                    more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                    displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                    Ron

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks
                    > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                    don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                    boat with out resin & glass?
                    > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                    > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                    your done.
                    > Dave
                  • dave seeton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                      I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                      Dave

                      Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                      I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                      the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                      more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                      displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                      Ron

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks
                      > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                      don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                      boat with out resin & glass?
                      > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                      > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                      your done.
                      > Dave

                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                        Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                        but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                        Jon

                        > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                        Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                        > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                        tite
                        > boat with out resin & glass?
                        > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                        > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                        when
                        > your done.
                        > > Dave

                      • Ron Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                          I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                          sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                          weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                          drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                          correct when trimmed level.

                          Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                          bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                          of a box keel.

                          I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                          the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                          could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                          but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                          I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.