Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • Ron Schroeder
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

      > FYI
      >
      > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
      > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
      > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
      > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
      > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
      >
      > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
      > planing on a 4 hp.
      >
      > Bryant

      Hi Bryant,

      Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
      bay.

      Ron
    • Ron Schroeder
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...>
        wrote:

        > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
        feet and I
        > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
        8hrs Honda.
        > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
        beavertails when
        > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
        Retriever. It
        > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
        beautifully in
        > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
        which is
        > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
        to throw it
        > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
        Tim P
        > Anderson

        Hi Tim,

        Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
        layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
        waterlogged?

        Ron
      • dave seeton
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          Thanks
          A couple of questions..
          Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
          What would you as for the full modified plans?
          I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like whats the free board?
          Thanks
          Dave
          where are you? I'm in SC

          Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

          Of course I would sell them (or just give them away depending on how
          much work I put into them).

          If I just do offset tables, you would need the Payson or Bolger plans
          but If I draw it up compleatly, you wouldn't need any other plans.
          So far the biggest difference in construction will be in the transom
          area to handle the lower freeboard with still the same transom height
          and also to optimize cockpit area.

          Ron

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

          > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the S-
          Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
          plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans
          & mods complete?
          > Thanks
          > Dave

        • dave seeton
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
            In NMHO it lost all of sneakeasy's charm & class
            Dave

            Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

            > FYI
            >
            > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
            > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
            > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
            > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
            > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
            >
            > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
            > planing on a 4 hp.
            >
            > Bryant

            Hi Bryant,

            Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
            bay.

            Ron

          • Tim Anderson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              The bottom of the box Keel was ½ inch, all else was ¼ inch. I only glassed
              the outboard faces with 4 oz. I put in longitudinal seats of ¼ ply spaced 1
              ½ inches above the upper hull bottom, the void was filled with pour in
              place foam. TA

              _____

              > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
              feet and I
              > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
              8hrs Honda.
              > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
              beavertails when
              > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
              Retriever. It
              > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
              beautifully in
              > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
              which is
              > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
              to throw it
              > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
              Tim P
              > Anderson

              Hi Tim,

              Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
              layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
              waterlogged?

              Ron

            • Kristine Bennett
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
                think I have asked before but I don't remember if
                anyone told me where to find the plans.

                Krissie

                --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

                > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                > off the beavertails when
                > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                > problems on the Retriever. It
                > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                > banked beautifully in
                > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                > Under-layment Ply which is
                > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                > to cut it up to throw it
                > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                > Anderson

              • Tim Anderson
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Bernie Wolford (sp?)

                  _____

                  --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
                  earthlink.net> wrote:

                  > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                  > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                  > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                  > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                  > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                  > off the beavertails when
                  > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                  > problems on the Retriever. It
                  > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                  > banked beautifully in
                  > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                  > Under-layment Ply which is
                  > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                  > to cut it up to throw it
                  > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                  > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                  > Anderson

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
                  for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                  http://get.games
                  <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
                  yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

                • Clyde Wisner
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                    How about PCB & Friends?

                    Tim Anderson wrote:

                    > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • Ron Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Hi Dave,

                      I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                      the years.

                      You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                      glass the below waterline seams.

                      My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                      much effort I go into.

                      Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                      I am in Long Island NY.

                      Ron

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks
                      > A couple of questions..
                      > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                      stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                      > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                      > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                      flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                      wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                      whats the free board?
                      > Thanks
                      > Dave
                      > where are you? I'm in SC
                    • dave seeton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Thanks
                        How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
                        will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                        Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
                        Dave

                        Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                        I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                        the years.

                        You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                        glass the below waterline seams.

                        My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                        much effort I go into.

                        Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                        I am in Long Island NY.

                        Ron

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks
                        > A couple of questions..
                        > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                        stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                        > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                        > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                        flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                        wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                        whats the free board?
                        > Thanks
                        > Dave
                        > where are you? I'm in SC

                      • Ron Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                          I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                          the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                          more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                          displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                          Ron

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks
                          > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                          don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                          boat with out resin & glass?
                          > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                          > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                          your done.
                          > Dave
                        • dave seeton
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                            I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                            Dave

                            Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                            I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                            the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                            more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                            displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                            Ron

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks
                            > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                            don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                            boat with out resin & glass?
                            > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                            > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                            your done.
                            > Dave

                          • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                              Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                              but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                              Jon

                              > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                              Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks
                              > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                              > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                              tite
                              > boat with out resin & glass?
                              > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                              > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                              when
                              > your done.
                              > > Dave

                            • Ron Schroeder
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                                I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                                sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                                weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                                drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                                correct when trimmed level.

                                Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                                bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                                of a box keel.

                                I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                                the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                                could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                                but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                                I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.