Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      FYI

      Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
      Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
      http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
      built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
      Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .

      This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
      planing on a 4 hp.

      Bryant

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

      > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the
      S-Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
      plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans &
      mods complete?
      > Thanks
      > Dave
      >
      > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
      Well, I started drawing up a smaller Sneakeasy that I can drag up the
      > beach. I am going for just barely under 20 feet overall length and
      > about 18' bow to transom (.75 of origional length) or 18'10" over all
      > length and about 17' bow to transom (.708 of origional length). This
      > would be 18" or 17" respectivly between stations rather than 24".
      > Width at waterline will be between 3' and 3'6" to keep nearly the same
      > long lean proportions and be able to be stored between canoes.
      > Freeboard will be .80 of origional and will allow 2 sides to be cut
      > from 48" wide plywood. I will probably increase forward rocker by
      > about 10% to get about 800 pounds displacement at the same draft as
      the
      > 26' 6" origional.
      >
      > I am trying to decide on 4mm sides/6mm bottom or 6mm sides/ 9mm
      > bottom. Power will be either an 8HP outboard or electric drive.
      >
      > I will probably calculate up a set of tables for a 17' x 32"
      version if
      > anybody is interested.

    • Ron Schroeder
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

        > FYI
        >
        > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
        > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
        > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
        > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
        > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
        >
        > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
        > planing on a 4 hp.
        >
        > Bryant

        Hi Bryant,

        Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
        bay.

        Ron
      • Ron Schroeder
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...>
          wrote:

          > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
          feet and I
          > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
          8hrs Honda.
          > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
          beavertails when
          > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
          Retriever. It
          > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
          beautifully in
          > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
          which is
          > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
          to throw it
          > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
          Tim P
          > Anderson

          Hi Tim,

          Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
          layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
          waterlogged?

          Ron
        • dave seeton
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
            Thanks
            A couple of questions..
            Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
            What would you as for the full modified plans?
            I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like whats the free board?
            Thanks
            Dave
            where are you? I'm in SC

            Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

            Of course I would sell them (or just give them away depending on how
            much work I put into them).

            If I just do offset tables, you would need the Payson or Bolger plans
            but If I draw it up compleatly, you wouldn't need any other plans.
            So far the biggest difference in construction will be in the transom
            area to handle the lower freeboard with still the same transom height
            and also to optimize cockpit area.

            Ron

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

            > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the S-
            Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
            plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans
            & mods complete?
            > Thanks
            > Dave

          • dave seeton
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              In NMHO it lost all of sneakeasy's charm & class
              Dave

              Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

              > FYI
              >
              > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
              > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
              > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
              > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
              > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
              >
              > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
              > planing on a 4 hp.
              >
              > Bryant

              Hi Bryant,

              Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
              bay.

              Ron

            • Tim Anderson
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                The bottom of the box Keel was ½ inch, all else was ¼ inch. I only glassed
                the outboard faces with 4 oz. I put in longitudinal seats of ¼ ply spaced 1
                ½ inches above the upper hull bottom, the void was filled with pour in
                place foam. TA

                _____

                > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
                feet and I
                > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
                8hrs Honda.
                > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
                beavertails when
                > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
                Retriever. It
                > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
                beautifully in
                > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
                which is
                > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
                to throw it
                > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
                Tim P
                > Anderson

                Hi Tim,

                Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
                layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
                waterlogged?

                Ron

              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
                  think I have asked before but I don't remember if
                  anyone told me where to find the plans.

                  Krissie

                  --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

                  > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                  > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                  > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                  > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                  > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                  > off the beavertails when
                  > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                  > problems on the Retriever. It
                  > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                  > banked beautifully in
                  > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                  > Under-layment Ply which is
                  > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                  > to cut it up to throw it
                  > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                  > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                  > Anderson

                • Tim Anderson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                    Bernie Wolford (sp?)

                    _____

                    --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
                    earthlink.net> wrote:

                    > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                    > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                    > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                    > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                    > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                    > off the beavertails when
                    > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                    > problems on the Retriever. It
                    > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                    > banked beautifully in
                    > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                    > Under-layment Ply which is
                    > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                    > to cut it up to throw it
                    > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                    > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                    > Anderson

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
                    for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                    http://get.games
                    <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
                    yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

                  • Clyde Wisner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                      How about PCB & Friends?

                      Tim Anderson wrote:

                      > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Ron Schroeder
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Hi Dave,

                        I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                        the years.

                        You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                        glass the below waterline seams.

                        My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                        much effort I go into.

                        Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                        I am in Long Island NY.

                        Ron

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks
                        > A couple of questions..
                        > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                        stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                        > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                        > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                        flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                        wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                        whats the free board?
                        > Thanks
                        > Dave
                        > where are you? I'm in SC
                      • dave seeton
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Thanks
                          How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
                          will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                          Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
                          Dave

                          Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                          I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                          the years.

                          You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                          glass the below waterline seams.

                          My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                          much effort I go into.

                          Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                          I am in Long Island NY.

                          Ron

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks
                          > A couple of questions..
                          > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                          stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                          > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                          > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                          flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                          wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                          whats the free board?
                          > Thanks
                          > Dave
                          > where are you? I'm in SC

                        • Ron Schroeder
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                            Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                            I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                            the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                            more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                            displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                            Ron

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks
                            > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                            don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                            boat with out resin & glass?
                            > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                            > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                            your done.
                            > Dave
                          • dave seeton
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                              I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                              Dave

                              Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                              I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                              the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                              more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                              displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                              Ron

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks
                              > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                              don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                              boat with out resin & glass?
                              > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                              > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                              your done.
                              > Dave

                            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                                but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                                Jon

                                > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                                Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                                > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                                tite
                                > boat with out resin & glass?
                                > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                                when
                                > your done.
                                > > Dave

                              • Ron Schroeder
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                                  I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                                  sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                                  weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                                  drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                                  correct when trimmed level.

                                  Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                                  bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                                  of a box keel.

                                  I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                                  the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                                  could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                                  but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                                  I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.