RE: [bolger] Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • Tim Anderson
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10 feet and I
      added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
      I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the beavertails when
      looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the Retriever. It
      worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked beautifully in
      the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply which is
      void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up to throw it
      away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
      Anderson

      _____

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        FYI

        Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
        Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
        http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
        built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
        Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .

        This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
        planing on a 4 hp.

        Bryant

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

        > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the
        S-Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
        plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans &
        mods complete?
        > Thanks
        > Dave
        >
        > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
        Well, I started drawing up a smaller Sneakeasy that I can drag up the
        > beach. I am going for just barely under 20 feet overall length and
        > about 18' bow to transom (.75 of origional length) or 18'10" over all
        > length and about 17' bow to transom (.708 of origional length). This
        > would be 18" or 17" respectivly between stations rather than 24".
        > Width at waterline will be between 3' and 3'6" to keep nearly the same
        > long lean proportions and be able to be stored between canoes.
        > Freeboard will be .80 of origional and will allow 2 sides to be cut
        > from 48" wide plywood. I will probably increase forward rocker by
        > about 10% to get about 800 pounds displacement at the same draft as
        the
        > 26' 6" origional.
        >
        > I am trying to decide on 4mm sides/6mm bottom or 6mm sides/ 9mm
        > bottom. Power will be either an 8HP outboard or electric drive.
        >
        > I will probably calculate up a set of tables for a 17' x 32"
        version if
        > anybody is interested.

      • Ron Schroeder
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

          > FYI
          >
          > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
          > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
          > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
          > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
          > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
          >
          > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
          > planing on a 4 hp.
          >
          > Bryant

          Hi Bryant,

          Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
          bay.

          Ron
        • Ron Schroeder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...>
            wrote:

            > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
            feet and I
            > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
            8hrs Honda.
            > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
            beavertails when
            > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
            Retriever. It
            > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
            beautifully in
            > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
            which is
            > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
            to throw it
            > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
            Tim P
            > Anderson

            Hi Tim,

            Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
            layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
            waterlogged?

            Ron
          • dave seeton
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              Thanks
              A couple of questions..
              Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
              What would you as for the full modified plans?
              I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like whats the free board?
              Thanks
              Dave
              where are you? I'm in SC

              Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

              Of course I would sell them (or just give them away depending on how
              much work I put into them).

              If I just do offset tables, you would need the Payson or Bolger plans
              but If I draw it up compleatly, you wouldn't need any other plans.
              So far the biggest difference in construction will be in the transom
              area to handle the lower freeboard with still the same transom height
              and also to optimize cockpit area.

              Ron

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

              > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the S-
              Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
              plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans
              & mods complete?
              > Thanks
              > Dave

            • dave seeton
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                In NMHO it lost all of sneakeasy's charm & class
                Dave

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                  The bottom of the box Keel was ½ inch, all else was ¼ inch. I only glassed
                  the outboard faces with 4 oz. I put in longitudinal seats of ¼ ply spaced 1
                  ½ inches above the upper hull bottom, the void was filled with pour in
                  place foam. TA

                  _____

                  > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
                  feet and I
                  > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
                  8hrs Honda.
                  > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
                  beavertails when
                  > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
                  Retriever. It
                  > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
                  beautifully in
                  > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
                  which is
                  > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
                  to throw it
                  > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
                  Tim P
                  > Anderson

                  Hi Tim,

                  Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
                  layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
                  waterlogged?

                  Ron

                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
                    think I have asked before but I don't remember if
                    anyone told me where to find the plans.

                    Krissie

                    --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

                    > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                    > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                    > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                    > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                    > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                    > off the beavertails when
                    > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                    > problems on the Retriever. It
                    > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                    > banked beautifully in
                    > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                    > Under-layment Ply which is
                    > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                    > to cut it up to throw it
                    > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                    > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                    > Anderson

                  • Tim Anderson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Bernie Wolford (sp?)

                      _____

                      --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
                      earthlink.net> wrote:

                      > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                      > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                      > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                      > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                      > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                      > off the beavertails when
                      > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                      > problems on the Retriever. It
                      > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                      > banked beautifully in
                      > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                      > Under-layment Ply which is
                      > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                      > to cut it up to throw it
                      > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                      > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                      > Anderson

                      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
                      for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                      http://get.games
                      <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
                      yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

                    • Clyde Wisner
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                        How about PCB & Friends?

                        Tim Anderson wrote:

                        > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Ron Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Hi Dave,

                          I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                          the years.

                          You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                          glass the below waterline seams.

                          My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                          much effort I go into.

                          Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                          I am in Long Island NY.

                          Ron

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks
                          > A couple of questions..
                          > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                          stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                          > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                          > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                          flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                          wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                          whats the free board?
                          > Thanks
                          > Dave
                          > where are you? I'm in SC
                        • dave seeton
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                            Thanks
                            How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
                            will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                            Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
                            Dave

                            Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                            I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                            the years.

                            You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                            glass the below waterline seams.

                            My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                            much effort I go into.

                            Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                            I am in Long Island NY.

                            Ron

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks
                            > A couple of questions..
                            > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                            stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                            > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                            > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                            flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                            wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                            whats the free board?
                            > Thanks
                            > Dave
                            > where are you? I'm in SC

                          • Ron Schroeder
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                              Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                              I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                              the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                              more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                              displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                              Ron

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks
                              > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                              don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                              boat with out resin & glass?
                              > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                              > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                              your done.
                              > Dave
                            • dave seeton
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                                Dave

                                Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                                the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                                more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                                displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                                Ron

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks
                                > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                                don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                                boat with out resin & glass?
                                > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                                your done.
                                > Dave

                              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                  Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                                  but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                                  Jon

                                  > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                                  Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                                  > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                                  tite
                                  > boat with out resin & glass?
                                  > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                  > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                                  when
                                  > your done.
                                  > > Dave

                                • Ron Schroeder
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                                    I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                                    sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                                    weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                                    drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                                    correct when trimmed level.

                                    Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                                    bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                                    of a box keel.

                                    I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                                    the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                                    could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                                    but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                                    I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.