Re: Smaller Sneakeasy

  • Ron Schroeder
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi Kristine,

      I have seen the cartoon of the shortened Sneakeasy. To me it just
      doesn't look right with a 48" beam when it is shortened that much.

      Not including the beaver tails, the origional bow to transom/beam
      ratio is 6:1. I don't think it would look right or perform right
      with a ratio below 5:1. Possibly with more power a shortened but
      wide Sneakeasy might perform OK with the box keel but I don't think
      it would perform as well off plane. It would be almost like a
      Microtrawler or a Hawkeye with a Sneakeasy hood.

      Personally, I am not interested in fishing (somehow I missed that
      gene from my father) so the 48" beam isn't needed for me. Primary
      use will be cruising up the creak and small rivers or shooting across
      the bay to Fire Island.

      For fishing, if you want something small and light with a box keel,
      you might want to look at a lengthened Bolger Bee.

      As much as I like the unique look of a box keel, I think at the power
      level I am going to be using, I don't think there would be much
      advantage for the added complexity and weight. If I was going to run
      15HP, I would probably go with it.

      If you remember the Motor Canoe in "Different Boats", that would
      serve my usage but it just wouldn't look right with plywood
      construction. The long covered cowl of the Sneakeasy really sets off
      the slab sides while still allowing very light weight. The Motor
      Canoe would require a lot more time to build and probably be
      heavier.
      This boat will probably be a lazy project while recovering from heart
      surgery.

      I am still trying to decide on side and bottom thickness.

      Ron

      > Ron if you are going to use up to an 8hp motor on the
      > boat why not make it 48 inches of beam? I recall in
      > BWAOM there were drawings for a Sneakeasy with a
      > cutwater keel. In my mind that would be the hull I
      > would look at useing.
      >
      > Yes I know it would not be as long and lean looking as
      > the full size Sneakeasy. But if you use it for fishing
      > now and then you will be able to stand up in the hull
      > to fight the fish and not have a lot of worry flipping
      > the hull.
      >
      > At one point I looked at the Sneakeasy and tossed
      > around the same idea a few times, of doing what you
      > are planing. There were two things that stopped me,
      > there was the lack of time to do a nice job on it and
      > not having a DRY place to work on it!
      >
      > Now I do have a dry place to work and I also have a
      > bit more time on my hands. But now I'm waiting on
      > aircraft drawings.
      >
      > I also need to remember you want to keep it light, and
      > where you want to store it when it's not in use.
      >
      > Blessings Kristine
    • Tim Anderson
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10 feet and I
        added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
        I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the beavertails when
        looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the Retriever. It
        worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked beautifully in
        the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply which is
        void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up to throw it
        away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
        Anderson

        _____

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com, Kristine
        Bennett <femmpaws@...> wrote:

        > Ron if you are going to use up to an 8hp motor on the
        > boat why not make it 48 inches of beam? I recall in
        > BWAOM there were drawings for a Sneakeasy with a
        > cutwater keel. In my mind that would be the hull I
        > would look at useing.
        >
        > Yes I know it would not be as long and lean looking as
        > the full size Sneakeasy. But if you use it for fishing
        > now and then you will be able to stand up in the hull
        > to fight the fish and not have a lot of worry flipping
        > the hull.
        >
        > At one point I looked at the Sneakeasy and tossed
        > around the same idea a few times, of doing what you
        > are planing. There were two things that stopped me,
        > there was the lack of time to do a nice job on it and
        > not having a DRY place to work on it!
        >
        > Now I do have a dry place to work and I also have a
        > bit more time on my hands. But now I'm waiting on
        > aircraft drawings.
        >
        > I also need to remember you want to keep it light, and
        > where you want to store it when it's not in use.
        >
        > Blessings Kristine

      • Bryant Owen
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          FYI

          Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
          Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
          http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
          built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
          Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .

          This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
          planing on a 4 hp.

          Bryant

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

          > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the
          S-Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
          plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans &
          mods complete?
          > Thanks
          > Dave
          >
          > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
          Well, I started drawing up a smaller Sneakeasy that I can drag up the
          > beach. I am going for just barely under 20 feet overall length and
          > about 18' bow to transom (.75 of origional length) or 18'10" over all
          > length and about 17' bow to transom (.708 of origional length). This
          > would be 18" or 17" respectivly between stations rather than 24".
          > Width at waterline will be between 3' and 3'6" to keep nearly the same
          > long lean proportions and be able to be stored between canoes.
          > Freeboard will be .80 of origional and will allow 2 sides to be cut
          > from 48" wide plywood. I will probably increase forward rocker by
          > about 10% to get about 800 pounds displacement at the same draft as
          the
          > 26' 6" origional.
          >
          > I am trying to decide on 4mm sides/6mm bottom or 6mm sides/ 9mm
          > bottom. Power will be either an 8HP outboard or electric drive.
          >
          > I will probably calculate up a set of tables for a 17' x 32"
          version if
          > anybody is interested.

        • Ron Schroeder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

            > FYI
            >
            > Steve Bosquette built a Mini-Sneakeasy and brought it to the 2005
            > Kingston Messabout. I've a pic of it in my Flikr account. See
            > http://tinyurl.com/25yyef . Here's a Duckworks article about how he
            > built it http://tinyurl.com/24prko and here's the article about the
            > Messabout showing some more pics http://tinyurl.com/ytcl8v .
            >
            > This was a great little runabout and very stable. IIRC he had it
            > planing on a 4 hp.
            >
            > Bryant

            Hi Bryant,

            Cute little boat but I think a little too small for the waves in the
            bay.

            Ron
          • Ron Schroeder
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Anderson" <lebateautim@...>
              wrote:

              > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
              feet and I
              > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
              8hrs Honda.
              > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
              beavertails when
              > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
              Retriever. It
              > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
              beautifully in
              > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
              which is
              > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
              to throw it
              > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
              Tim P
              > Anderson

              Hi Tim,

              Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
              layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
              waterlogged?

              Ron
            • dave seeton
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                Thanks
                A couple of questions..
                Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                What would you as for the full modified plans?
                I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like whats the free board?
                Thanks
                Dave
                where are you? I'm in SC

                Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                Of course I would sell them (or just give them away depending on how
                much work I put into them).

                If I just do offset tables, you would need the Payson or Bolger plans
                but If I draw it up compleatly, you wouldn't need any other plans.
                So far the biggest difference in construction will be in the transom
                area to handle the lower freeboard with still the same transom height
                and also to optimize cockpit area.

                Ron

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                > Once you get the figures right would you sell them? I love the S-
                Easy style but it's to large for my garage. Would I need to buy the
                plans from Payson & the mods from you or could you sell me the plans
                & mods complete?
                > Thanks
                > Dave

              • dave seeton
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                  In NMHO it lost all of sneakeasy's charm & class
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                    The bottom of the box Keel was ½ inch, all else was ¼ inch. I only glassed
                    the outboard faces with 4 oz. I put in longitudinal seats of ¼ ply spaced 1
                    ½ inches above the upper hull bottom, the void was filled with pour in
                    place foam. TA

                    _____

                    > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the box keel) to 10
                    feet and I
                    > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at 18knts with
                    8hrs Honda.
                    > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end off the
                    beavertails when
                    > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning problems on the
                    Retriever. It
                    > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and banked
                    beautifully in
                    > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan Under-layment Ply
                    which is
                    > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have to cut it up
                    to throw it
                    > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it Kamikaze skiff.
                    Tim P
                    > Anderson

                    Hi Tim,

                    Did you run it both with and without the wedges? Was it a single
                    layer of 1/4" for the bottom? Was it strong enough before it got
                    waterlogged?

                    Ron

                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Hey Tim where did you get the plans for the Bee? I
                      think I have asked before but I don't remember if
                      anyone told me where to find the plans.

                      Krissie

                      --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@...> wrote:

                      > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                      > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                      > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                      > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                      > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                      > off the beavertails when
                      > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                      > problems on the Retriever. It
                      > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                      > banked beautifully in
                      > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                      > Under-layment Ply which is
                      > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                      > to cut it up to throw it
                      > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                      > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                      > Anderson

                    • Tim Anderson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Bernie Wolford (sp?)

                        _____

                        --- Tim Anderson <lebateautim@ <mailto:lebateautim%40earthlink.net>
                        earthlink.net> wrote:

                        > I Stretched a Bolger "BEE" ( the test bed for the
                        > box keel) to 10 feet and I
                        > added the beavertails to finish at 11' 6"; it ran at
                        > 18knts with 8hrs Honda.
                        > I put 14" x 5.5" x .625" wedges under the aft end
                        > off the beavertails when
                        > looking for a solution to Tony Groves planning
                        > problems on the Retriever. It
                        > worked great! The boat ran like it was on rails and
                        > banked beautifully in
                        > the corners. My one regret is that I used Luan
                        > Under-layment Ply which is
                        > void free but the glue was not waterproof so I have
                        > to cut it up to throw it
                        > away. It was so exciting to run that we named it
                        > Kamikaze skiff. Tim P
                        > Anderson

                        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
                        for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                        http://get.games
                        <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>
                        yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

                      • Clyde Wisner
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                          How about PCB & Friends?

                          Tim Anderson wrote:

                          > Bernie Wolford (sp?)
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>

                        • Ron Schroeder
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                            Hi Dave,

                            I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                            the years.

                            You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                            glass the below waterline seams.

                            My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                            much effort I go into.

                            Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                            I am in Long Island NY.

                            Ron

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks
                            > A couple of questions..
                            > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                            stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                            > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                            > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                            flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                            wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                            whats the free board?
                            > Thanks
                            > Dave
                            > where are you? I'm in SC
                          • dave seeton
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                              Thanks
                              How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite boat with out resin & glass?
                              will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                              Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when your done.
                              Dave

                              Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Hi Dave,

                              I haven't built THIS boat before but I have built a few boats over
                              the years.

                              You can build a boat without resin and glass but I would at leat
                              glass the below waterline seams.

                              My plans would be somewhere between $25 and $100 depending on how
                              much effort I go into.

                              Freeboard is basically he height of the sides.

                              I am in Long Island NY.

                              Ron

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks
                              > A couple of questions..
                              > Have you built the boat before? Would the extra with make it more
                              stable. Can a boat be built without resin & glass cloth?
                              > What would you as for the full modified plans?
                              > I'm very new to boat building.(16" ceder strip canoe & 16" pointed
                              flat bottomed ,2 board lapstrake boat, both are BRITE) so I probly
                              wont use the proper terms, hope this doesn't confuz things, like
                              whats the free board?
                              > Thanks
                              > Dave
                              > where are you? I'm in SC

                            • Ron Schroeder
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                                the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                                more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                                displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                                Ron

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks
                                > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                                don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                                boat with out resin & glass?
                                > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                                your done.
                                > Dave
                              • dave seeton
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                  I guess I asked for that, Its resin & glass or pick up my club & get back in my cave. I have 9.9 OB is that large enough do you think?
                                  Dave

                                  Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote: Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                  I am probably not going to go with a box keel on this one. I think
                                  the keel would be to heavily loaded to plane with only 8 HP with
                                  more than one person and would be a slight deterement at
                                  displacement speeds. Probably be OK with a 15.

                                  Ron

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks
                                  > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth? I
                                  don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water tite
                                  boat with out resin & glass?
                                  > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                  > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans when
                                  your done.
                                  > Dave

                                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                    Skins and oils or pitch depending on where you where building canoes
                                    but then dugouts needed nothing and where steamed to get more beam.

                                    Jon

                                    > Ron Schroeder <rjs@...> wrote:
                                    Tar was used for waterproofing many years ago.

                                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks
                                    > > How were boats made before white lead & or resin & glass cloth?
                                    > don't mean to be a smart ass but cant you build a pretty water
                                    tite
                                    > boat with out resin & glass?
                                    > > will the sneakeasy you plan to build have a step down keel?
                                    > > Please keep my e-mail address as I would like a set of plans
                                    when
                                    > your done.
                                    > > Dave

                                  • Ron Schroeder
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 8, 2007
                                      I got a little farther with the design. Still need to refine the
                                      sheer a little. I raked the bow stem a tiny bit so if you trim the
                                      weight a little forward to lift the transom to the waterline for lower
                                      drag at displacement speeds it will not look nose down and still looks
                                      correct when trimmed level.

                                      Also trying as an option a shallow V in the forward 1/3 of the hull
                                      bottom. This may reduce pounding and drumming without the complexity
                                      of a box keel.

                                      I am still trying to decide on the minimum plywood thickness. I think
                                      the origional had 3/8" sides and a 1/2" bottom. I am sure that I
                                      could get by with 6mm(1/4") sides and 9mm(3/8") bottom if I use Okoume
                                      but I wonder if I could get by with 4mm sides and 6mm bottom?

                                      I want to make it as light as possible and still handle at least 8HP.