Flotation in an open boat (was Re: New web site)

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1 4:43 AM
      Oh, boy. How I've been scheeming up a long slim hulled EeeK!amaran.
      Yes! Why wouldn't that work. Not as good a hull shape as some more
      modern sophisticated multhulls. Not as expensive either! The fore
      bottom and sides in accord with Bolger sharpie water flow theory, and
      the aft bottom a power economising "rule cheating" transition zone
      speedster as on the Topaz-Sitka powerboat type. The EeeK!amaran would
      carry enough sail to hit that transition zone, surely - maybe go right
      through it! Not a racing multi, a cruiser and a good one at that! I
      think some modern multi racers may sneer at rooster tails, but, boy, I
      would cheer them. Might as well too as I think you're gunna get 'em.
      Beauties!

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "The Peillet-Long Family" <owlnmole@...>
      wrote:
      > reminds me that the Eeek!/Anhinga-style double-ended sharpie hull,
      > with rocker forward but not aft, seems perfect for a little
      > catamaran. Any thoughts on this from the assembled multitudes?
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1 5:13 AM
        In what stage of construction is the boat ... and which boat are you
        building?

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > Thanks, Graeme for the compliments.
        >
        > I actually contacted Dave Carnell on the flotation question, but he
        > didn't have any specific advice to offer. I'd rather not clutter up
        > the simple, open boat with bulkheads and decks, so I'd appreciate any
        > suggestions folks might have on simple flotation options.
        >
        > I am considering something like kayak float bags at the bow and
        > transom corners, just to make the boat easier to recover after a
        > capsize. The people will all have life vests. Foam under the
        > partner thwart might help, too.
        >
        > Again, I am trying not to turn the boat into a decked skiff, or else
        > I should be building something else like Storm Petrel, June Bug or
        > one of Jim Michalak's designs. What really appeals to me about
        > Featherwind is all that space and I don't want to give that up.
        >
        > Please, if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share, weigh
        > in.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Matthew
      • The Peillet-Long Family
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2 5:25 AM
          Ken,

          As you can see from the Featherwind page at
          <http://molepages.googlepages.com> I am gathering materials but have
          not yet started to build. I have previous build Brick, Yellow Leaf,
          June Bug and Tortoise.

          So it would not be a big deal to integrate small changes now. One
          thing I am considering, because I do have epoxy, wood flour and
          fiberglass tape, is adding very small flotation chambers at the bow
          and transom corners, whether by using foam blocks or light plywood
          bulkheads, to add some flotation without loosing the open boat feel.

          Regards,

          Matthew

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
          wrote:

          > In what stage of construction is the boat ... and which boat are
          you
          > building?
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Ken Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com
          >

          > > Thanks, Graeme for the compliments.
          > >
          > > I actually contacted Dave Carnell on the flotation question, but
          he
          > > didn't have any specific advice to offer. I'd rather not clutter
          up
          > > the simple, open boat with bulkheads and decks, so I'd appreciate
          any
          > > suggestions folks might have on simple flotation options.
          > >
          > > I am considering something like kayak float bags at the bow and
          > > transom corners, just to make the boat easier to recover after a
          > > capsize. The people will all have life vests. Foam under the
          > > partner thwart might help, too.
          > >
          > > Again, I am trying not to turn the boat into a decked skiff, or
          else
          > > I should be building something else like Storm Petrel, June Bug or
          > > one of Jim Michalak's designs. What really appeals to me about
          > > Featherwind is all that space and I don't want to give that up.
          > >
          > > Please, if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share,
          weigh
          > > in.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Matthew

        • The Peillet-Long Family
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2 5:36 AM
            Ah, a kindred spirit...

            I am on the road and don't have access to my Bolger collection, but
            as I remember, Bolger prescribed something like 75 lbs ballast to get
            stability when sailing. So presumably an Eeek!amaran with stock
            Eeek! hulls would be good for three adults, or two adults and a
            couple of kids. Hmmm, I bet I could work out a simple bridge deck
            from a 4' 8' sheet of plywood and Wharram-style lashed connections
            to the hulls. In fact, the Sunfish sail I was getting for
            Featherwind should be about right for an Eeek!maran.

            Oh no, now look what you've done, here I go in another direction
            again!

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2 7:47 AM
              Hi Matthew,

              The reason I asked is because I have had good luck building foam core
              hulls on small boats. This only makes sense before you start building
              of course ... :)

              When the foam is encapsulated in epoxy and glass fabric it doesn't take
              up any extra space inside the hull, yet it provides more flotation than
              if you had built air tight flotation boxes or foam filled flotation
              chambers.

              It is cheaper to "just use plywood" of course, because then you don't
              need to make it into a composite sandwich like you do with the foam as
              core material. Nevertheless it is an option that most people who build
              small boats do not consider, and for some of these small boats I have
              found it to be a very good option.

              I am using cheap styrofoam on a small (8 foot long) paddle powered
              trimaran I am building right now, and I have a customer who wants one
              just like it only bigger so he can take a couple of friends paddling
              with him. Eventually I may post some pictures online when I get these
              boats finished.

              Even the little 8 footer should be a very seaworthy boat regardless of
              how small it is, not only because it is unsinkable but also because its
              design is a modern version of the traditional Philippine 'banca' boats
              that have been used in this country for open ocean fishing for perhaps
              thousands of years.

              If you were to use foam core in your sailboat hull, you would have to
              reinforce the stress points with extra fiberglass layers. But when
              you're done you would have an unsinkable high-tech composite hull with
              no wood in it, so it would never rot!

              Sincerely,
              Ken Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com

              > Ken,
              >
              > As you can see from the Featherwind page at
              > <http://molepages.googlepages.com> I am gathering materials but have
              > not yet started to build. I have previous build Brick, Yellow Leaf,
              > June Bug and Tortoise.
              >
              > So it would not be a big deal to integrate small changes now. One
              > thing I am considering, because I do have epoxy, wood flour and
              > fiberglass tape, is adding very small flotation chambers at the bow
              > and transom corners, whether by using foam blocks or light plywood
              > bulkheads, to add some flotation without loosing the open boat feel.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Matthew
            • Breton Losch
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 2 8:23 AM

                > The reason I asked is because I have had good luck building foam core
                > hulls on small boats. This only makes sense before you start building
                > of course ... :)

                I was just wondering, do you have to make any special considerations when
                choosing foam for the core/epoxy for the coating from the standpoint of
                chemical reactivity? I could think of nothing worse than meticulously
                building your foam core, only to have it start to disintegrate in the
                moments following the start of encapsulation.

                Bret

                --
                "Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish. Do not overdo it."

                -- Lao Tzu

              • Kenneth Grome
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2 4:58 PM
                  > > I have had good luck building foam core hulls on small boats.
                  > > This only makes sense before you start building of course ... :)
                  >
                  > I was just wondering, do you have to make any special considerations
                  > when choosing foam for the core/epoxy for the coating from the
                  > standpoint of chemical reactivity?

                  Epoxy is compatible with all types of foam. Polyester resin will
                  dissolve polystyrene foam (styrofoam) and maybe other types of foam as
                  well.

                  Sincerely,
                  Ken Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                  www.bagacayboatworks.com
                • The Peillet-Long Family
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 2 8:03 PM
                    Hi, Ken, and thanks for your comments.

                    Your ideas are very interesting, but unfortunately, there is very
                    little I despise more than working with fiberglass and resin, so I
                    try to keep it to a bare minimum. Something I might try, which I
                    have seen sketched out, but not in practice, is to add foam and
                    second layer of thin plywood, say to each side of the bow and the
                    transom, to make that a ply-foam-ply sandwich. This would add
                    floation without altering the center of buoancy too much or taking up
                    all the space.

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > no wood in it, so it would never rot!
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Ken Grome
                    > Bagacay Boatworks
                    > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                    >

                    > > Ken,
                    > >
                    > > As you can see from the Featherwind page at
                    > > <http://molepages.googlepages.com> I am gathering materials but
                    have
                    > > not yet started to build. I have previous build Brick, Yellow
                    Leaf,
                    > > June Bug and Tortoise.
                    > >
                    > > So it would not be a big deal to integrate small changes now. One
                    > > thing I am considering, because I do have epoxy, wood flour and
                    > > fiberglass tape, is adding very small flotation chambers at the
                    bow
                    > > and transom corners, whether by using foam blocks or light plywood
                    > > bulkheads, to add some flotation without loosing the open boat

                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 2 9:45 PM
                      You could also just glue a thick layer of flexible closed cell
                      polyethylene foam to the inside of your hull. Then your boat will be
                      quieter and softer inside, and you won't have the added weight, cost or
                      hassle of installing another layer of plywood that serves no real
                      purpose other than to prevent hard foam from getting dented and dinged
                      up.

                      http://www.polyethylenefoam.net

                      Sincerely,
                      Ken Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com

                      > Hi, Ken, and thanks for your comments.
                      >
                      > Your ideas are very interesting, but unfortunately, there is very
                      > little I despise more than working with fiberglass and resin, so I
                      > try to keep it to a bare minimum. Something I might try, which I
                      > have seen sketched out, but not in practice, is to add foam and
                      > second layer of thin plywood, say to each side of the bow and the
                      > transom, to make that a ply-foam-ply sandwich. This would add
                      > floation without altering the center of buoancy too much or taking up
                      > all the space.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Matthew
                    • The Peillet-Long Family
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 3 4:16 AM
                        That's a very interesting suggestion, Ken. Do you or anyone else
                        have any experience with polyethylene foam in this kind of
                        application? Should it be painted or otherwise protected? How does
                        it hold up to sun, water, abrasion over time?

                        wrote:

                        > You could also just glue a thick layer of flexible closed cell
                        > polyethylene foam to the inside of your hull. Then your boat will
                        be
                        > quieter and softer inside, and you won't have the added weight,
                        cost or
                        > hassle of installing another layer of plywood that serves no real
                        > purpose other than to prevent hard foam from getting dented and
                        dinged
                        > up.
                        >
                        > http://www.polyethylenefoam.net
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        > Ken Grome
                        > Bagacay Boatworks
                        > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                        >

                        > > Hi, Ken, and thanks for your comments.
                        > >
                        > > Your ideas are very interesting, but unfortunately, there is very
                        > > little I despise more than working with fiberglass and resin, so I
                        > > try to keep it to a bare minimum. Something I might try, which I
                        > > have seen sketched out, but not in practice, is to add foam and
                        > > second layer of thin plywood, say to each side of the bow and the
                        > > transom, to make that a ply-foam-ply sandwich. This would add
                        > > floation without altering the center of buoancy too much or
                        taking up
                        > > all the space.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > >
                        > > Matthew

                      • Kenneth Grome
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 3 5:59 AM
                          I don't know how well polyethylene foam holds up, but I've received
                          samples fro a local plastic supplier and to me it seems like a better
                          foam than most of the others people are familiar with.

                          The specs and descriptions I've seen suggest that it is not degraded by
                          UV or water or most chemicals. In other words, I think it will hold up
                          fine if you don't put it on walk areas or other high wear areas.

                          It is slippery like polyethylene plastic so paint won't stick to it.
                          Most adhesives won't stick to it very well either. Contact cement may
                          work, or maybe a special 3M adhesive -- 3M makes lots of special
                          adhesives, some specifically for plastics.

                          This plastic is used for packing expensive electronic equipment
                          sometimes. It costs more than the common EPS (expanded polystyrene)
                          packing foam but it is flexible and won't break like styrofoam.
                          Instead it will bend and flex enough to absorb the shock that breaks
                          other more rigid types of foams.

                          I've never tried it on a boat myself but I wouldn't hesitate for a
                          minute if I were in your shoes. Just make sure you use the right glue
                          so it doesn't peel off when you need it most. A bit of online research
                          should help you to identify the proper adhesives.

                          Sincerely,
                          Ken Grome
                          Bagacay Boatworks
                          www.bagacayboatworks.com

                          > That's a very interesting suggestion, Ken. Do you or anyone else
                          > have any experience with polyethylene foam in this kind of
                          > application? Should it be painted or otherwise protected? How does
                          > it hold up to sun, water, abrasion over time?
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                          >
                          > wrote:
                          > > You could also just glue a thick layer of flexible closed cell
                          > > polyethylene foam to the inside of your hull. Then your boat will
                          >
                          > be
                          >
                          > > quieter and softer inside, and you won't have the added weight,
                          >
                          > cost or
                          >
                          > > hassle of installing another layer of plywood that serves no real
                          > > purpose other than to prevent hard foam from getting dented and
                          >
                          > dinged
                          >
                          > > up.
                          > >
                          > > http://www.polyethylenefoam.net
                          > >
                          > > Sincerely,
                          > > Ken Grome
                          > > Bagacay Boatworks
                          > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                          > >
                          > > > Hi, Ken, and thanks for your comments.
                          > > >
                          > > > Your ideas are very interesting, but unfortunately, there is very
                          > > > little I despise more than working with fiberglass and resin, so
                          > > > I try to keep it to a bare minimum. Something I might try,
                          > > > which I have seen sketched out, but not in practice, is to add
                          > > > foam and second layer of thin plywood, say to each side of the
                          > > > bow and the transom, to make that a ply-foam-ply sandwich. This
                          > > > would add floation without altering the center of buoancy too
                          > > > much or
                          >
                          > taking up
                          >
                          > > > all the space.
                          > > >
                          > > > Cheers,
                          > > >
                          > > > Matthew
                        • Bryant Owen
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 3 7:14 AM
                            Is this the same thing as pool noodles? I have a dense polyethylene
                            foam seat cushion which I think is what you're talking about and I'd
                            have to say I've been struck with it's durability. I also use pool
                            noodles for foam padding when cartopping. Seem very similar except the
                            pool noodles seem less dense - better flotation per lb but not as
                            tough. What's inside PDFs?

                            Bryant - also pondering flotation

                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 3 7:11 PM
                              280 lbs displacement for each hull. Most of that aft in level trim.
                              Where it's wanted to lighten the bows in an EeeK!amaran . That will
                              support a motor aft on a bracket too. A 6/1 L/B ratio is pretty good
                              for a sharpie shape, might just do for a tri-EeeK!amaran though too
                              small for even getting over an S/L of somewhere under 2 in a cat-
                              EeeK!amaran, I guess, let alone upwards of 3, and higher, but who
                              cares as for such an elegant small boat that's still a great ride
                              and stable platform for fun - ....and it might just plane faster
                              with those flat pointy aft bottoms. 560 lbs displacement all up,
                              less 175 - 200lbs if built as is without strengthened lightening,
                              plus rig and gear would allow an adult and couple of kids to daysail
                              more with some further immersion. Two might be able to camp
                              overnight, and one could go a long way.

                              I was once camped up north along Etty Bay, fishing at night on a
                              secluded jungle backed beach in the wet tropics just north of Flying
                              Fish point when out of the dark moonless fairy lit Coral Sea a small
                              chubby, boxy, cat pulled up on the beach. Her wild looking skipper
                              was encrusted with salt but was fit and happy. We fed and watered
                              him, and had a few drinks around the fire then went to look at the
                              boat by dim torch light. This was 1980, April it was, and I could
                              hardly believe my eyes. I thought small cats were Hobies! The boat,
                              about 12ft, was diposable - mostly nailed together from dump
                              scrounged ply, unpainted, save for some peeling remains from its
                              previous life - bits of wire and manilla string - a thredbare
                              standing lug (kinda) bedsheet and poly tarp sail. He'd launched from
                              Brisbane 1600kms down south, and was beachcruising twice that
                              distance further to the north, to Darwin, up and around the Top End.
                              I was beachcamping, but this was worth exploring.

                              He'd done it often he said. During the wet he'd drive down to the
                              big smoke, party hard on his dry season savings, parley the car,
                              then, broke, coastal cruise this way back to NT, for the next
                              shooting/fishing/mustering season. He said he'd tried the
                              conventional, and then broken free. No bus for him! He was a quietly
                              spoken bloke, big smile, and after I'd nodded off I found him gone
                              before first light. I had to check for marks on the beach where the
                              cat had been hauled up just to be sure this hadn't been a dream.
                              There was no sign left by the receding tide, then we found an
                              unopened bottle of scotch and a fresh Mangrove Jack, up against a
                              tree near the fire, and knew we'd hosted this traveller. I wish I
                              had seen the boat by daylight, it was sort of shocking; an EeeK!
                              amaran would be far superior. As far as I'm concerned he proved it
                              could work, easily.

                              I don't mean to distract your attention, I know well how that goes,
                              and FWIW I think you should build Nutmeg, that's a great design
                              (dinghies are great intros for kids - rowing - sailing - reactions
                              etc), but this may interest you for later on, and would work for you
                              for sure: PCB gave me some very brief details about Camping Trimaran
                              #554. He wrote "...the Camping Trimaran is #554, and not #544, and
                              is a design for a hull using Hobie 16 floats, rig, and hardware,
                              US$100...". I have absolutely no idea of the vaka size, shape or
                              construction. I mean it may be cold molded (out for me!) it may be a
                              stepped sheet material, instant, flat slamming rocket. Knowing
                              PCB's "camper" I think it would have great accomodations, a motor
                              etc. Old Hobie bits are readily available and can be purchased quite
                              cheaply, so it should give quick value for time and money. My guess
                              is it's similar to rendering Sparkler a simplified Lightning. I'd
                              venture it a simplified Newick Tremolino that also IIRC uses Hobie
                              bits. I must write and ask him to elaborate, unless someone here has
                              seen more details...

                              <owlnmole@...> wrote:

                              > Ah, a kindred spirit...
                              >
                              > I am on the road and don't have access to my Bolger collection,
                              but
                              > as I remember, Bolger prescribed something like 75 lbs ballast to
                              get
                              > stability when sailing. So presumably an Eeek!amaran with stock
                              > Eeek! hulls would be good for three adults, or two adults and a
                              > couple of kids. Hmmm, I bet I could work out a simple bridge deck
                              > from a 4' 8' sheet of plywood and Wharram-style lashed
                              connections
                              > to the hulls. In fact, the Sunfish sail I was getting for
                              > Featherwind should be about right for an Eeek!maran.
                              >
                              > Oh no, now look what you've done, here I go in another direction
                              > again!

                            • The Peillet-Long Family
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 4 5:19 AM
                                Here's a neat link to a blog on beachcrusing in a Wharram Tiki 21
                                catamaran--not Bolger, but a great amateur-built design and a fun,
                                excentric designer with a worldwide foloowing.

                                http://tiki21element.blogspot.com/