Re: Light schooner

  • Jim Kessler
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 26, 2007
      Bill,
      With the bulkheads you dont need fillit with the logs. I filleted
      mine because I used PL premium for side to bulkhead glue. I fillited
      for added security.

      Concerning buttblock for the sides, if I had it to do again I would
      use Dynamite's method of taped joints. I had to do alot of fairing to
      get my sides looking presentable.

      I would definitely build the boat with scarfed logs. They are an
      intrical part of the boat design. That is alot of sail for such a
      light boat. The stress without the logs may tear the boat apart with
      just stich and glue method.

      Jim Kessler

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Kessler" <jkess777@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      > I would also suggest not making limber holes in your bulkheads but
      > rather leave them watertight and place dexkplates in them instead.
      > talked to Tim Fatchen about this and he mentioned it was a very
      good
      > Idea.
      >
      > He also mentions to add water ballast to the boat by usinf 2.5"
      pipe
      > capping them and filling with water. Then placing them at the chine
      in
      > the foward and aft cockpits. Great way to add ballast. The watter
      in
      > the pipes in the boat becomes ballast wieght but becomes nuetral in
      > swamp.
      >
      > I'll be rigging my boat stock and as a solo.
      >
      > Jim Kessler
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wallace <wwostar@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I sam sitting in the moaning chair thinking about chine logs
      and
      > sheer
      > > clamps for the light schooner I am about to build, not at all
      happy
      > about
      > > the number of scarph joints I will have to make to get those long
      > sticks.
      > > What think you of butt blocks?
      > > What think you of having them not connected at all, just
      butted
      > end to end?
      > > What think you of having the notches in the frames very
      large,
      > > providing limber holes, not attched to the sheet log at all?

      > > What think you of no chine logs at all, just a big fillet covered
      with
      > > glass tape?
      > > Bill Wallace in Houston

    • Scot Mc Pherson
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 12, 2016
        George,
        I'd love to see pics of your schooner. I have the plans but haven't started that one yet. I am currently restoring an Alberg Seasprite 23 and already have a Bolger gypsy's shapes cut but nothing assembled yet as I took possession of the Seasprite.

        The light schooner is one of my favorite designs.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 12, 2016, at 6:23 PM, George Scheck nothexed@... [bolger] <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        facebook does the nag screen now on most if not all their listings if you are not a facebook member. A feeble attempt for more members. Now, having said that --ENOUGH AGAIN with the facebook stuff- people either like it or have no use for it (I happen to as do many people not like it. However if this nagging  keeps going on and on the yahoo group will start losing more members- me for one. If I wanted a bunch of drama I would join facebook .
        Excuse me while I go sail my light schooner. Buy a book read it and share with your friends and be happy.
        Take care all.
        George Scheck

        On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:46 PM, "'John Kohnen' jhkohnen@... [bolger]" <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Why is the Bolger Facebook group set up so you HAVE TO sign in to Facebook
        to see it? So far it's still possible to have publicly accessible groups
        on FB, though They now obscure part of the view with an annoying
        persistent message nagging you to join up. <sigh> Anyway, what's the
        advantage to blocking the public from viewing the Bolger FB group?

        As you might have guessed, I'm one of those who will not do Facebook.
        Aside from privacy concerns it's just too d***ed annoying...

        I like the Yahoo groups because I can read and reply to postings using
        email, without having to bother with  Web pages. There's wonderful stuff
        on the WoodenBoat forum, but I rarely visit it becaue of its Web only
        format...

        On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:00:31 -0700, Ron wrote:

        > Please Susanne join Facebook and participate in the Bolger group there
        > (or just read it for enjoyment).

        John (jkohnen@...)
        (Sir James Barrie)

        <*> Your email settings: