single handed schooner build questions

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15, 2007
      I have my bulkheads mostly done and am working on the side panels for
      the single-handed schooner and I have 2 build questions.

      1. On one of the sheets it shows the panels. The top picture shows the
      panels as 16" wide constant size with straight line edges and has
      markings on where the various bulkheads and butt blocks go.
      The one underneath it shows the same panel side, but the edges are
      curved and it shows distances of the curved edge from a baseline at
      various points along the edge.

      Now I am pretty sure I want to cut the panels straight 16" wide as shown
      in the top diagram. The one underneath it just shows what the
      anticipated sheer line will be after wrapping the straight panels around
      the 14 degree bulkheads. I don't think I am supposed to cut the panels
      curved. I think I am supposed to cut them straight and then the curve
      will happen when I wrap the panels around the angled bulkheads.

      Is it right that I should cut the side panels in a perfect straight line
      16" wide ?

      2. Do I glue the chine log to the panel before connecting the panel to
      the bulkheads or do I connect the panels to the bulkheads and then slide
      the chine log in between the panel and the bulkheads later ?

      I'd also be interested if someone has a good idea what the end trailer
      weight will be and also what the displacement is at the designed
      waterline. Also, can I use a standard canoe trailer for this boat or
      will I need to get some kind of custom trailer made ?

      Thanks
      Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
    • Susan Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:

        > I don't think I am supposed to cut the panels
        > curved.

        You're not.

        > 2. Do I glue the chine log to the panel before connecting the
        > panel to the bulkheads or do I connect the panels to the bulkheads
        > and then slide the chine log in between the panel and the bulkheads
        > later ?

        Fasten the sides to the bulkheads first, then add the chine logs
        later. One of the bolger photo groups has construction photos of my
        boat in the Photos section.

        > I'd also be interested if someone has a good idea what the end
        > trailer weight will be

        The boat is designed to weigh about as much as a Laser, with the
        removable keel just about doubling that figure. Mine weighs more --
        at least 200 pounds, if not 250 -- because I sheathed it in multiple
        layers of xynole and added under-deck flotation to allow operation in
        remote areas.

        > Also, can I use a standard canoe trailer for this boat or
        > will I need to get some kind of custom trailer made ?

        I use a recycled Y-Flyer trailer from a beat-up old boat that I got
        for free for hauling it away. If you scrounge around, you might be
        able to find a similar sort of thing.

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...> wrote:
          >> Is it right that I should cut the side panels in a perfect
          straight line
          > 16" wide ?

          Chris,

          I have never built this boat nor have the plans but if it is
          anything in shape like the Bolger SURF, then the answer to your
          above question is yes, since the flare of the bulkheads will
          introduce sheer into the straight sided panels as they get bent
          around the bulkheads.

          > 2. Do I glue the chine log to the panel before connecting the
          panel to
          > the bulkheads or do I connect the panels to the bulkheads and then
          slide
          > the chine log in between the panel and the bulkheads later ?

          Although this has been done in different ways with apparent
          success by many builders, you may find it "easier" to let in your
          chine logs first into the notches cut in the bulkheads.Once you are
          satified that all is true and fair, it will be a breeze to hang the
          side panels and the already installed chine logs will serve well as
          a handy clamping surface to hold the panel in place while you check
          for final fairness and while waiting for the epoxy to kick.
          You are using a strong back for setting your bulkheads up,aren't
          you?.This too will be of great benefit if you are working alone,in
          short spurts of time and wish to keep things square and true.

          Hope this helps! Sorry I cannot help with your last question but I
          trust that others will soon jump in with better answers :-)

          Don't forget to post a picture or two....always appreciated by us
          nuts,you know!

          Good luck with your build!

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
            Try building a quick scale model.

            Work at the scale of 1 inch equals 1 foot, using scissors, tape and
            some thick paper.

            In no time you will figure out in your mind's eye how to build that
            boat full size.

            Have fun!
          • Richard Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
              Where can I find study plans of this "single-handed" schooner?

              Richard Johnson, Riverview, NB

              > I don't think I am supposed to cut the panels
              > curved.

              You're not.

              > 2. Do I glue the chine log to the panel before connecting the
              > panel to the bulkheads or do I connect the panels to the bulkheads
              > and then slide the chine log in between the panel and the bulkheads
              > later ?

              Fasten the sides to the bulkheads first, then add the chine logs
              later. One of the bolger photo groups has construction photos of my
              boat in the Photos section.

              > I'd also be interested if someone has a good idea what the end
              > trailer weight will be

              The boat is designed to weigh about as much as a Laser, with the
              removable keel just about doubling that figure. Mine weighs more --
              at least 200 pounds, if not 250 -- because I sheathed it in multiple
              layers of xynole and added under-deck flotation to allow operation in
              remote areas.

              > Also, can I use a standard canoe trailer for this boat or
              > will I need to get some kind of custom trailer made ?

              I use a recycled Y-Flyer trailer from a beat-up old boat that I got
              for free for hauling it away. If you scrounge around, you might be
              able to find a similar sort of thing.

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@yahoo. com>

            • nels
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Richard Johnson
                <rishar_johnson2001@...> wrote:

                > Where can I find study plans of this "single-handed" schooner?
                >
                > Richard Johnson, Riverview, NB

                From Dynamite Payson, who also sells the plans.

                http://www.instantboats.com/ordercatalog.htm

                You might want to consider ordering his build book as well:

                http://www.instantboats.com/btnib.htm

                It doesn't have the instructions for the SHS but does for the Light
                Schooner which is similar in basic building methods, except easier in
                my opinion.

                I think you can oder by phone and a Credit Card.

                He lives just next door to you in Maine:-)

                Nels
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
                  > > Where can I find study plans of this "single-handed" schooner?

                  See pages 121-124 of Phil Bolger's book Boats With an Open Mind.
                  ISBN-10: 0070063761

                  In the chapter titled 'His and Her Schooner'.
                • Richard Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
                    thank you Bruce and also "nels" - I now have the info I need