Re: [bolger] Bolger and Friends

  • Paul Esterle
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 6, 2007
      I was a devoted subscriber to SBJ. I don't recall any leanings toward
      small plywood boats although they certainly did cover them. A more
      worthy successor to SBJ is Small Craft Advisor
      (www.smallcraftadvisor.com). We regularly review small wooden boats,
      homebuilders, Everglades Challenge boats. I'm sure they would be happy
      to have Jim submit an article to them.

      (Caveat: I'm the Technical Editor of SCA and biased)

      Paul Esterle
      Freelance Boating Writer
      Columbia 10.7, 26 & Matilda 20
      North East, MD.
      “Capt’n Pauley’s Boat Repairs & Upgrades”
      book at www.captnpauley.com
      home.comcast.net/~pesterle/

      > "With the demise of the great paper magazine Small Boat Journal about
      > ten years ago, Wooden Boat is about the only way left for a fellow to
      > buy a magazine off the shelf at a book store and get introduced to
      > homebuilt boats. But small simple plywood boats are becoming rare in
      > Wooden Boat and I'm not sure how relevant the magazine is to us anymore."
      >
      > .

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 20, 2007
        I'm sorry Sam I forgot to answer your question. As I
        recall they were planing on useing an electric clutch.
        I know Pitts is just one maker of them. They are what
        we used on the boats I worked on, to drive washdown
        and hydraulic pumps. It's just a matter of flipping a
        simple switch.

        Your shiv on your propshaft wouyld need to be about 10
        inches dia to get a 2 to 1 as I recall the clutches
        were 5.5 inch dia and used two 1/2 or 5/8 Vee belts.

        I'm sure Pitts had a website and I'll see if I can
        fine it.

        Yes your propshaft will need to have thrust bearings.
        I know they make a doubble taper pillow block that
        will handle the side loading of your shafe as well as
        take the load of the drive belts.

        You would need to make a steel frame to mount every
        thing to and to take the thrust loads from the
        propshaft. The thing would be just simple fab work.
        But you would need some solid mount points in the hull
        to bolt it to.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://tv.yahoo.com/