Re: Announcing a Bolger launch!

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hey that's great.

      In the aft bulkhead, near the centreline, I think I see some recesses
      to accept the stringers of a cockpit footwell hatch cover (photo 9 and
      before). How'd that go? Have you made some small kid's quarter berths
      each side under the cockpit seats? Looks like great fun.

      Cheers
      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clevelandsurfkid"
      <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

      > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
      > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
      the
      > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
      > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
      > funny.
      > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
      > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
      > getting her pretty close to the wind...
      > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
      > photos section.

    • nels
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
        <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

        > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
        > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
        > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
        > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
        > funny.
        > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
        > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
        > getting her pretty close to the wind...
        > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
        > photos section.

        Clevelandsurfkid?

        Does this mean there is another Micro in Ohio? Lovely photos of a
        family out sailing together.

        I can't help but wonder if the sailing performance might have even
        improved further if the snotters had been firmed up a bit more on both
        sails.

        Congratulations,

        Nels
      • nels
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

          > Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
          > excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
          > around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
          > years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
          > properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
          > better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
          > this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
          > building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing
          >
          > John Mann

          Hey John!

          What are you cooking up now in the way of mods?

          When looking at alternatives to a Micro, I think the stretched version
          of the Michalak Philsboat - like Mike Mulcahy built - has to be pretty
          attractive. The extra length looks good, is faster and roomier and is
          not that much more trouble to trailer at likely under 500 pounds
          empty. Plans are only $37.50 I think?

          http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/my_photos

          I love the idea of sitting on bench height seats rather than the hull
          bottom like in the Birdwatcher and Camper 640. Much easier on the old
          back and knees I figure.

          Also it has a dedicated motorwell, inside steering and sail handling
          especially with the innovative poly tarp junk rig, (with gurney flaps)
          for which Mike has written up complete instructions in a duckworks
          article.

          I would be tempted to also add the BW2 anchor handling system.

          Although self-righting with no ballast, it is still not a boat for
          going off-shore though.

          Nels
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
            <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

            > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
            > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
            the
            > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
            > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out...
            Very
            > funny.
            > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
            > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
            > getting her pretty close to the wind...
            > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
            > photos section.

            Fantastic! Good to see that the launch and shake down sail went
            without a hitch!
            For better sail trim, you may wish to try pulling in the mizzen
            snotter nice and snug, along with the mizzen sheet.
            For even better sail trim, you really must haul in on the main snotter
            to get rid of that performance robing "pillow case" hanging off the
            end of the sail :-)
            Photo 13 is my favorite! Do not know exactly why, but it does tug at
            my heart strings...........

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan