Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Birdwatcher 2 construction page

Expand Messages
  • Rex and Kathie Payne
    Nels, You have a good eye for details. ... 24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      You have a good eye for details.

      > I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
      > coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
      > Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
      > filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
      > temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
      > and line up?

      24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the
      glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little more stiffness. We
      decided to apply the coaming in 2 thinner layers, added the second
      layer after the sides were attached. Took a bit of filing and scarph
      in place to fit the nothches. The inner coaming is Philipine Mahogany
      and was too hard to bend otherwise.

      I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
      > and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
      > bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
      > having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

      We set up the frames and marked the panels as Phil drew them. He did a
      fantastic job drawing it as it actually fits. Once lined up, a few
      temporary screws and glue and fillet. Easy as long as there are 2
      people working at aligning and holding in place.

      > Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.
      You don't get runs when its flat, squeegee the glass and then a roller
      adds more epoxy to bury the cloth, self levels pretty well. Not
      perfect but better than if we had waited until it was upright. Less
      epoxy wasted dripping down.

      > Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
      > maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a

      Chine logs. We used 2 layers of 3/4 by 2 1/2 and 3/4 by 1 and
      something with the angles precut. We put them on one at a time. Shaped
      the top with a 1 inch roundover bit, belt sander and hand block. They
      came out pretty well.

      > I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
      > special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
      > bottom layer in place while it cured?

      You can find the polymer nails and gun at :
      The nails hold very well, don't have the shear strength of metal
      nails, but they don't damage planes/saw blades and can be sanded. We
      screwed the first layer of the bottom and used mostly the polymer
      nails with a few screws on the second layer, glass right over them.
      They are good to tack scarphs so they don't slip before you get a
      clamp on them.

      > All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
      > locked in!

      First of 2 layers of 10 oz cloth has been applied to the bottom,
      wrapped very well around the chine logs. Got one other coat of epoxy
      on, now we have to wait until our next epoxy shipment arrives. Have
      used 3 1/2 gallons to this point with very little waste. Have never
      used more than a gallon on any boat we have built in the past.

      Have a happy and a safe July 4th to all.

      R & K
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.