Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Birdwatcher 2 construction page

Expand Messages
  • Nels
    ... I checked in at your website and viewed the updated photos. Looks like you are making excellent progress. I have a few observations and questions, but
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rex and Kathie Payne" <rkpayne96@...>
      wrote:

      > You don't know how lucky I am that Kathie is letting me help her build
      > the BW2. We make good progress together. Glassing the bottom tomorrow.
      > R & K

      I checked in at your website and viewed the updated photos. Looks like
      you are making excellent progress.

      I have a few observations and questions, but don't let me interfere
      with the work in progress. Maybe some time later once you get the
      build completed.

      I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
      coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
      Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
      filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
      temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
      and line up? I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
      and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
      bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
      having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

      Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.

      Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
      maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a problem?

      I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
      special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
      bottom layer in place while it cured?

      All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
      locked in!

      Nels
    • Rex and Kathie Payne
      Nels, You have a good eye for details. ... 24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
        Nels,
        You have a good eye for details.

        > I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
        > coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
        > Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
        > filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
        > temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
        > and line up?

        24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the
        glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little more stiffness. We
        decided to apply the coaming in 2 thinner layers, added the second
        layer after the sides were attached. Took a bit of filing and scarph
        in place to fit the nothches. The inner coaming is Philipine Mahogany
        and was too hard to bend otherwise.


        I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
        > and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
        > bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
        > having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.
        >

        We set up the frames and marked the panels as Phil drew them. He did a
        fantastic job drawing it as it actually fits. Once lined up, a few
        temporary screws and glue and fillet. Easy as long as there are 2
        people working at aligning and holding in place.


        > Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.
        >
        You don't get runs when its flat, squeegee the glass and then a roller
        adds more epoxy to bury the cloth, self levels pretty well. Not
        perfect but better than if we had waited until it was upright. Less
        epoxy wasted dripping down.

        > Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
        > maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a
        problem?

        Chine logs. We used 2 layers of 3/4 by 2 1/2 and 3/4 by 1 and
        something with the angles precut. We put them on one at a time. Shaped
        the top with a 1 inch roundover bit, belt sander and hand block. They
        came out pretty well.

        >
        > I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
        > special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
        > bottom layer in place while it cured?

        You can find the polymer nails and gun at :
        http://www.raptornails.com/
        The nails hold very well, don't have the shear strength of metal
        nails, but they don't damage planes/saw blades and can be sanded. We
        screwed the first layer of the bottom and used mostly the polymer
        nails with a few screws on the second layer, glass right over them.
        They are good to tack scarphs so they don't slip before you get a
        clamp on them.

        > All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
        > locked in!

        First of 2 layers of 10 oz cloth has been applied to the bottom,
        wrapped very well around the chine logs. Got one other coat of epoxy
        on, now we have to wait until our next epoxy shipment arrives. Have
        used 3 1/2 gallons to this point with very little waste. Have never
        used more than a gallon on any boat we have built in the past.

        Have a happy and a safe July 4th to all.

        R & K
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.