Re: Bolger tribute report?

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
      Youtube?

      Howard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:

      > The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
      > Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
      > or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
      > Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
      > Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
      > for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.
    • Bob Slimak
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
        About a month ago I saw a report on, I believe, the Discovery channel about a new landing craft. I don't know if this was the one Phil designed or not, but it was pretty impressive. It was essentially a high speed amphibious battle tank. Unlike the old ones, with a speed of about 7 knots or so, this one had a speed of around 30 in the water and 50 on land. Propulsion was water jets in the water. Once on land it now acted as a tank, and held enough fuel to go inland for several hundred miles. I wish I could remember more, but seem to have the same problem as Charles Rouse:) Anyway, it was an awesome improvement over the old landing craft. It's just too bad we need them.
        Bob Slimak

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
          Hi Jon,

          I just opened the latest issue of MAIB. PB&F will be going into this
          (maybe the LC too) at some length over the the next number (4?) of
          issues. I don't know about drawings. Things seem to be moving ahead now.

          Graeme

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
          <jon@...> wrote:
          > Did he mention the Gloucester fishing boat project that has also
          > taken their time away from commissioned designs? Did you get to see
          > any drawings or photos of the landing craft?Jon Kolb

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
            they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
            reprints, study plans, and catalogues?

            Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
            videoed, to be published by WB maybe?

            Graeme

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:
            > [SNIP]
            > The video covered a variety of subjects, his childhood,
            > a basic story of his early boat design work, a boat by
            > boat account of several boats he designed some account of
            > his design principles, an explanation of why he designs
            > Bolger sharpies when not constrained by the customer
            > requests, his association with Suzanne Attenberg,
            > "She does most of the work now. She works with my ship
            > forms."
            > He had a rather sharp explanation of what he thought was
            > wrong with licensing of Naval Architects, and how this has
            > been attempted.
            > And a lot more. That video is well worth watching.
          • Charles Rouse
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007

              > Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
              > they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
              > reprints, study plans, and catalogues?
              >
              > Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
              > videoed, to be published by WB maybe?
              >
              > Graeme

              I wondered about the video thing also. I didn't see anyone recording
              the proceedings, but it was a bit crowded and I know I didn't see
              everything.
              They have a video about the William D. Jochems I believe.
              Maybe they'll release the video they played at the tribute.

              Charles Rouse
            • John and Kathy Trussell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                I have seen references to videos from PCB&F and I have the one on Lily. At
                one point, there were references to a video on Birdwatcher and Queen Mab.
                Does anyone know what might be available?

                JohnT

                _____

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Charles