Re: Birdwatcher 2 construction page

  • Rex and Kathie Payne
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
      Memphis, Indiana and Nashville, NC, been through the first, not the last.
      I believe the Lake Monroe Messabout is Autumnal Equinox weekend. We
      haven't missed showing up at least on Saturday for the last 6 or 7 years.
      Thanks for pointing out the photos of Bob Larkins BW2 at the Oregon
      Messabout. The jaws on the Solent lug yard appear to work well. Looks
      good.
      You don't know how lucky I am that Kathie is letting me help her build
      the BW2. We make good progress together. Glassing the bottom tomorrow.
      R & K

      > Is not the Lake Monroe Messabout in September some time?
      >
      > Funny but I was wearing a T-shirt with s Nashville North logo on it
      > yesterday, but I think that it was from a bar in Nashville NC:-)
      >
      > Hope you noticed the photos of the BW2 of Bob Larkin in the messabout
      > photos - very inspiring! Looks like he has that rig sorted out now,
      > with the yard laying nicely against the mast as he boogied past.
      >
      > Rex I think it is great to see a husband helping his wife build a boat
      > like you are doing.
      >
      > Cheers, Nels

    • Nels
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rex and Kathie Payne" <rkpayne96@...>
        wrote:

        > You don't know how lucky I am that Kathie is letting me help her build
        > the BW2. We make good progress together. Glassing the bottom tomorrow.
        > R & K

        I checked in at your website and viewed the updated photos. Looks like
        you are making excellent progress.

        I have a few observations and questions, but don't let me interfere
        with the work in progress. Maybe some time later once you get the
        build completed.

        I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
        coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
        Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
        filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
        temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
        and line up? I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
        and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
        bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
        having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

        Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.

        Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
        maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a problem?

        I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
        special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
        bottom layer in place while it cured?

        All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
        locked in!

        Nels
      • Rex and Kathie Payne
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
          Nels,
          You have a good eye for details.

          > I see you completely glassed the side panels and installed the inner
          > coamings and stems before temporarily attaching them to the bulkheads.
          > Then attaching the stems to the other panel permanently. Then
          > filleting and taping the bulkheads to the side panels and removing the
          > temporary screws? Any problems getting the panels to bend into place
          > and line up?

          24 and a half feet of 6 mm plywood is very flimsy, even with the
          glass, the inner coaming was added to give a little more stiffness. We
          decided to apply the coaming in 2 thinner layers, added the second
          layer after the sides were attached. Took a bit of filing and scarph
          in place to fit the nothches. The inner coaming is Philipine Mahogany
          and was too hard to bend otherwise.

          I guess once the inner coamings fit into their notches
          > and the marking lines on the inside of the panels lined up with the
          > bulkheads you were all set to bond it all together. The advantage of
          > having the bulkheads stabilized and aligned beforehand.

          We set up the frames and marked the panels as Phil drew them. He did a
          fantastic job drawing it as it actually fits. Once lined up, a few
          temporary screws and glue and fillet. Easy as long as there are 2
          people working at aligning and holding in place.

          > Also all the glassing was done on a horizontal table.

          You don't get runs when its flat, squeegee the glass and then a roller
          adds more epoxy to bury the cloth, self levels pretty well. Not
          perfect but better than if we had waited until it was upright. Less
          epoxy wasted dripping down.

          > Was it a bit of a challenge getting those chine logs into place? Would
          > maybe using two courses of thinner logs have been easier or not a
          problem?

          Chine logs. We used 2 layers of 3/4 by 2 1/2 and 3/4 by 1 and
          something with the angles precut. We put them on one at a time. Shaped
          the top with a 1 inch roundover bit, belt sander and hand block. They
          came out pretty well.

          > I am also interested in your using polymer nails. Do you have a
          > special nailer to drive them? Did you also use them to hold the second
          > bottom layer in place while it cured?

          You can find the polymer nails and gun at :
          http://www.raptornails.com/
          The nails hold very well, don't have the shear strength of metal
          nails, but they don't damage planes/saw blades and can be sanded. We
          screwed the first layer of the bottom and used mostly the polymer
          nails with a few screws on the second layer, glass right over them.
          They are good to tack scarphs so they don't slip before you get a
          clamp on them.

          > All the best with glassing the bottom. Once that is done the hull is
          > locked in!

          First of 2 layers of 10 oz cloth has been applied to the bottom,
          wrapped very well around the chine logs. Got one other coat of epoxy
          on, now we have to wait until our next epoxy shipment arrives. Have
          used 3 1/2 gallons to this point with very little waste. Have never
          used more than a gallon on any boat we have built in the past.

          Have a happy and a safe July 4th to all.

          R & K