Re: Bolger tribute report?

  • Charles Rouse
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

      While Phil and Suzanne (and the U.S. Navy) were willing to
      discuss the Navy project in general terms, they said they
      couldn't discuss the details.
      I didn't hear any reference to the efficient fishing boat
      project. It sounds interesting though.

      The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
      Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
      or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
      Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
      Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
      for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.

      Charles Rouse

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@> wrote:
      > > Phil brought a 70 minute video, basically unedited.He said
      > > "We didn't have time, even so it's probably better
      > > than listening to me mumbling at the podium."
      >

      > I'd love to see that video. I wonder if Bolger would sell the copies
      > to his adoring fans -- or maybe even open-source it . . .
      >
      > Garth

    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
        Youtube?

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:

        > The video is very much worth seeing, especially for fans.
        > Maybe they plan to edit it, to take out gaps, battery failures,
        > or maybe the family cat walking accross the plans while
        > Phil talks about them. Though I found the cat charming.
        > Someone should ask Phil and Suzanne what their plans are
        > for the video. I'm guessing they plan something for it.
      • Bob Slimak
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
          About a month ago I saw a report on, I believe, the Discovery channel about a new landing craft. I don't know if this was the one Phil designed or not, but it was pretty impressive. It was essentially a high speed amphibious battle tank. Unlike the old ones, with a speed of about 7 knots or so, this one had a speed of around 30 in the water and 50 on land. Propulsion was water jets in the water. Once on land it now acted as a tank, and held enough fuel to go inland for several hundred miles. I wish I could remember more, but seem to have the same problem as Charles Rouse:) Anyway, it was an awesome improvement over the old landing craft. It's just too bad we need them.
          Bob Slimak

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hi Jon,

            I just opened the latest issue of MAIB. PB&F will be going into this
            (maybe the LC too) at some length over the the next number (4?) of
            issues. I don't know about drawings. Things seem to be moving ahead now.

            Graeme

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
            <jon@...> wrote:
            > Did he mention the Gloucester fishing boat project that has also
            > taken their time away from commissioned designs? Did you get to see
            > any drawings or photos of the landing craft?Jon Kolb

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
              Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
              they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
              reprints, study plans, and catalogues?

              Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
              videoed, to be published by WB maybe?

              Graeme

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <zavala@...> wrote:
              > [SNIP]
              > The video covered a variety of subjects, his childhood,
              > a basic story of his early boat design work, a boat by
              > boat account of several boats he designed some account of
              > his design principles, an explanation of why he designs
              > Bolger sharpies when not constrained by the customer
              > requests, his association with Suzanne Attenberg,
              > "She does most of the work now. She works with my ship
              > forms."
              > He had a rather sharp explanation of what he thought was
              > wrong with licensing of Naval Architects, and how this has
              > been attempted.
              > And a lot more. That video is well worth watching.
            • Charles Rouse
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007

                > Hmmm. If PB&F are going increasingly to video format, I wonder if
                > they may at sometime go to other ICTs for things like new books,
                > reprints, study plans, and catalogues?
                >
                > Thanks for your interesting report Charles. Were the proceedings
                > videoed, to be published by WB maybe?
                >
                > Graeme

                I wondered about the video thing also. I didn't see anyone recording
                the proceedings, but it was a bit crowded and I know I didn't see
                everything.
                They have a video about the William D. Jochems I believe.
                Maybe they'll release the video they played at the tribute.

                Charles Rouse
              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                  I have seen references to videos from PCB&F and I have the one on Lily. At
                  one point, there were references to a video on Birdwatcher and Queen Mab.
                  Does anyone know what might be available?

                  JohnT

                  _____

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Charles