Re: [bolger] Announcing a Bolger launch!

  • Michael Wagner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      Good job.

      When I had my Micro (back a few years now) I had several other boaters comment on high she could point. It's quite surprising and sometimes embarrasing to the other, more expensive boats.

      Have fun.

      clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote: I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
      on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
      ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
      boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
      funny.
      We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
      pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
      getting her pretty close to the wind...
      It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
      photos section.

      Ron Paul for President
      Hope for America
      Be part of it.

    • mannthree
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
        excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
        around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
        years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
        properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
        better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
        this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
        building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing

        John Mann

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clevelandsurfkid"
        <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

        > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
        > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
        > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
        > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
        > funny.
        > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
        > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
        > getting her pretty close to the wind...
        > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
        > photos section.

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
          Hey that's great.

          In the aft bulkhead, near the centreline, I think I see some recesses
          to accept the stringers of a cockpit footwell hatch cover (photo 9 and
          before). How'd that go? Have you made some small kid's quarter berths
          each side under the cockpit seats? Looks like great fun.

          Cheers
          Graeme

          <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

          > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
          > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
          the
          > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
          > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
          > funny.
          > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
          > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
          > getting her pretty close to the wind...
          > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
          > photos section.

        • nels
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
            <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

            > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
            > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
            > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
            > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
            > funny.
            > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
            > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
            > getting her pretty close to the wind...
            > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
            > photos section.

            Clevelandsurfkid?

            Does this mean there is another Micro in Ohio? Lovely photos of a
            family out sailing together.

            I can't help but wonder if the sailing performance might have even
            improved further if the snotters had been firmed up a bit more on both
            sails.

            Congratulations,

            Nels
          • nels
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

              > Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
              > excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
              > around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
              > years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
              > properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
              > better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
              > this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
              > building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing
              >
              > John Mann

              Hey John!

              What are you cooking up now in the way of mods?

              When looking at alternatives to a Micro, I think the stretched version
              of the Michalak Philsboat - like Mike Mulcahy built - has to be pretty
              attractive. The extra length looks good, is faster and roomier and is
              not that much more trouble to trailer at likely under 500 pounds
              empty. Plans are only $37.50 I think?

              http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/my_photos

              I love the idea of sitting on bench height seats rather than the hull
              bottom like in the Birdwatcher and Camper 640. Much easier on the old
              back and knees I figure.

              Also it has a dedicated motorwell, inside steering and sail handling
              especially with the innovative poly tarp junk rig, (with gurney flaps)
              for which Mike has written up complete instructions in a duckworks
              article.

              I would be tempted to also add the BW2 anchor handling system.

              Although self-righting with no ballast, it is still not a boat for
              going off-shore though.

              Nels
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
                <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
                the
                > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out...
                Very
                > funny.
                > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                > photos section.

                Fantastic! Good to see that the launch and shake down sail went
                without a hitch!
                For better sail trim, you may wish to try pulling in the mizzen
                snotter nice and snug, along with the mizzen sheet.
                For even better sail trim, you really must haul in on the main snotter
                to get rid of that performance robing "pillow case" hanging off the
                end of the sail :-)
                Photo 13 is my favorite! Do not know exactly why, but it does tug at
                my heart strings...........

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan