Re: Announcing a Bolger launch!

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
      > on building.

      Congratulations! Nothing feels quite like launching a boat after
      buiding it yourself.

      Jon Kolb
    • Michael Wagner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Good job.

        When I had my Micro (back a few years now) I had several other boaters comment on high she could point. It's quite surprising and sometimes embarrasing to the other, more expensive boats.

        Have fun.

        clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote: I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
        on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
        ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
        boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
        funny.
        We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
        pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
        getting her pretty close to the wind...
        It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
        photos section.

        Ron Paul for President
        Hope for America
        Be part of it.

      • mannthree
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
          excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
          around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
          years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
          properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
          better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
          this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
          building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing

          John Mann

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clevelandsurfkid"
          <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

          > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
          > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
          > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
          > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
          > funny.
          > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
          > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
          > getting her pretty close to the wind...
          > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
          > photos section.

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hey that's great.

            In the aft bulkhead, near the centreline, I think I see some recesses
            to accept the stringers of a cockpit footwell hatch cover (photo 9 and
            before). How'd that go? Have you made some small kid's quarter berths
            each side under the cockpit seats? Looks like great fun.

            Cheers
            Graeme

            <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

            > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
            > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
            the
            > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
            > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
            > funny.
            > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
            > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
            > getting her pretty close to the wind...
            > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
            > photos section.

          • nels
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
              <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

              > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
              > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
              > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
              > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
              > funny.
              > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
              > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
              > getting her pretty close to the wind...
              > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
              > photos section.

              Clevelandsurfkid?

              Does this mean there is another Micro in Ohio? Lovely photos of a
              family out sailing together.

              I can't help but wonder if the sailing performance might have even
              improved further if the snotters had been firmed up a bit more on both
              sails.

              Congratulations,

              Nels
            • nels
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

                > Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
                > excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
                > around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
                > years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
                > properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
                > better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
                > this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
                > building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing
                >
                > John Mann

                Hey John!

                What are you cooking up now in the way of mods?

                When looking at alternatives to a Micro, I think the stretched version
                of the Michalak Philsboat - like Mike Mulcahy built - has to be pretty
                attractive. The extra length looks good, is faster and roomier and is
                not that much more trouble to trailer at likely under 500 pounds
                empty. Plans are only $37.50 I think?

                http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/my_photos

                I love the idea of sitting on bench height seats rather than the hull
                bottom like in the Birdwatcher and Camper 640. Much easier on the old
                back and knees I figure.

                Also it has a dedicated motorwell, inside steering and sail handling
                especially with the innovative poly tarp junk rig, (with gurney flaps)
                for which Mike has written up complete instructions in a duckworks
                article.

                I would be tempted to also add the BW2 anchor handling system.

                Although self-righting with no ballast, it is still not a boat for
                going off-shore though.

                Nels
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
                  <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                  > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                  > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
                  the
                  > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                  > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out...
                  Very
                  > funny.
                  > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                  > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                  > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                  > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                  > photos section.

                  Fantastic! Good to see that the launch and shake down sail went
                  without a hitch!
                  For better sail trim, you may wish to try pulling in the mizzen
                  snotter nice and snug, along with the mizzen sheet.
                  For even better sail trim, you really must haul in on the main snotter
                  to get rid of that performance robing "pillow case" hanging off the
                  end of the sail :-)
                  Photo 13 is my favorite! Do not know exactly why, but it does tug at
                  my heart strings...........

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan