Re: [bolger] Announcing a Bolger launch!

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      On 7/2/07, clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

      > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday

      Wow, congratulations! Good job. What a feeling.
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
        > on building.

        Congratulations! Nothing feels quite like launching a boat after
        buiding it yourself.

        Jon Kolb
      • Michael Wagner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Good job.

          When I had my Micro (back a few years now) I had several other boaters comment on high she could point. It's quite surprising and sometimes embarrasing to the other, more expensive boats.

          Have fun.

          clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote: I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
          on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
          ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
          boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
          funny.
          We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
          pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
          getting her pretty close to the wind...
          It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
          photos section.

          Ron Paul for President
          Hope for America
          Be part of it.

        • mannthree
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
            excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
            around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
            years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
            properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
            better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
            this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
            building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing

            John Mann

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clevelandsurfkid"
            <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

            > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
            > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
            > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
            > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
            > funny.
            > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
            > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
            > getting her pretty close to the wind...
            > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
            > photos section.

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
              Hey that's great.

              In the aft bulkhead, near the centreline, I think I see some recesses
              to accept the stringers of a cockpit footwell hatch cover (photo 9 and
              before). How'd that go? Have you made some small kid's quarter berths
              each side under the cockpit seats? Looks like great fun.

              Cheers
              Graeme

              <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

              > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
              > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
              the
              > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
              > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
              > funny.
              > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
              > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
              > getting her pretty close to the wind...
              > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
              > photos section.

            • nels
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
                > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
                > funny.
                > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                > photos section.

                Clevelandsurfkid?

                Does this mean there is another Micro in Ohio? Lovely photos of a
                family out sailing together.

                I can't help but wonder if the sailing performance might have even
                improved further if the snotters had been firmed up a bit more on both
                sails.

                Congratulations,

                Nels
              • nels
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

                  > Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
                  > excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
                  > around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
                  > years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
                  > properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
                  > better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
                  > this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
                  > building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing
                  >
                  > John Mann

                  Hey John!

                  What are you cooking up now in the way of mods?

                  When looking at alternatives to a Micro, I think the stretched version
                  of the Michalak Philsboat - like Mike Mulcahy built - has to be pretty
                  attractive. The extra length looks good, is faster and roomier and is
                  not that much more trouble to trailer at likely under 500 pounds
                  empty. Plans are only $37.50 I think?

                  http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/my_photos

                  I love the idea of sitting on bench height seats rather than the hull
                  bottom like in the Birdwatcher and Camper 640. Much easier on the old
                  back and knees I figure.

                  Also it has a dedicated motorwell, inside steering and sail handling
                  especially with the innovative poly tarp junk rig, (with gurney flaps)
                  for which Mike has written up complete instructions in a duckworks
                  article.

                  I would be tempted to also add the BW2 anchor handling system.

                  Although self-righting with no ballast, it is still not a boat for
                  going off-shore though.

                  Nels
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
                    <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                    > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                    > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
                    the
                    > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                    > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out...
                    Very
                    > funny.
                    > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                    > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                    > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                    > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                    > photos section.

                    Fantastic! Good to see that the launch and shake down sail went
                    without a hitch!
                    For better sail trim, you may wish to try pulling in the mizzen
                    snotter nice and snug, along with the mizzen sheet.
                    For even better sail trim, you really must haul in on the main snotter
                    to get rid of that performance robing "pillow case" hanging off the
                    end of the sail :-)
                    Photo 13 is my favorite! Do not know exactly why, but it does tug at
                    my heart strings...........

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan