Announcing a Bolger launch!

  • clevelandsurfkid
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
      on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
      ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
      boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
      funny.
      We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
      pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
      getting her pretty close to the wind...
      It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
      photos section.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        On 7/2/07, clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

        > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday

        Wow, congratulations! Good job. What a feeling.
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
          > on building.

          Congratulations! Nothing feels quite like launching a boat after
          buiding it yourself.

          Jon Kolb
        • Michael Wagner
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            Good job.

            When I had my Micro (back a few years now) I had several other boaters comment on high she could point. It's quite surprising and sometimes embarrasing to the other, more expensive boats.

            Have fun.

            clevelandsurfkid <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote: I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
            on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
            ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
            boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
            funny.
            We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
            pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
            getting her pretty close to the wind...
            It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
            photos section.

            Ron Paul for President
            Hope for America
            Be part of it.

          • mannthree
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
              excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
              around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
              years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
              properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
              better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
              this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
              building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing

              John Mann

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clevelandsurfkid"
              <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

              > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
              > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
              > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
              > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
              > funny.
              > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
              > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
              > getting her pretty close to the wind...
              > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
              > photos section.

            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                Hey that's great.

                In the aft bulkhead, near the centreline, I think I see some recesses
                to accept the stringers of a cockpit footwell hatch cover (photo 9 and
                before). How'd that go? Have you made some small kid's quarter berths
                each side under the cockpit seats? Looks like great fun.

                Cheers
                Graeme

                <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
                the
                > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
                > funny.
                > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                > photos section.

              • nels
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                  <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                  > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                  > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to the
                  > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                  > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out... Very
                  > funny.
                  > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                  > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                  > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                  > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                  > photos section.

                  Clevelandsurfkid?

                  Does this mean there is another Micro in Ohio? Lovely photos of a
                  family out sailing together.

                  I can't help but wonder if the sailing performance might have even
                  improved further if the snotters had been firmed up a bit more on both
                  sails.

                  Congratulations,

                  Nels
                • nels
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

                    > Always great to see another Micro on the water. Home made sails look
                    > excellent, you've obviously done this before. I've been looking
                    > around for a replacement boat for my Micro for the last two - three
                    > years and still havent come up with a design that has all the
                    > properties of the Micro (but perhaps is lighter and points a little
                    > better (any suggestions ?) Meanwhile I'm due to antifoul the bottom
                    > this month and may make some mod's. Again, congratulations on
                    > building a fine boat - enjoy the sailing
                    >
                    > John Mann

                    Hey John!

                    What are you cooking up now in the way of mods?

                    When looking at alternatives to a Micro, I think the stretched version
                    of the Michalak Philsboat - like Mike Mulcahy built - has to be pretty
                    attractive. The extra length looks good, is faster and roomier and is
                    not that much more trouble to trailer at likely under 500 pounds
                    empty. Plans are only $37.50 I think?

                    http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kakwariver/my_photos

                    I love the idea of sitting on bench height seats rather than the hull
                    bottom like in the Birdwatcher and Camper 640. Much easier on the old
                    back and knees I figure.

                    Also it has a dedicated motorwell, inside steering and sail handling
                    especially with the innovative poly tarp junk rig, (with gurney flaps)
                    for which Mike has written up complete instructions in a duckworks
                    article.

                    I would be tempted to also add the BW2 anchor handling system.

                    Although self-righting with no ballast, it is still not a boat for
                    going off-shore though.

                    Nels
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
                      <clevelandsurfkid@...> wrote:

                      > I launched my Bolger Micro "Orca" yesterday after 8 years of off and
                      > on building. The launch went OK and a small crowd built up next to
                      the
                      > ramp to watch... Word spread that the boat was homebuilt and as the
                      > boat bobbed off the trailer, spontaneous applause rippled out...
                      Very
                      > funny.
                      > We had about 10 to 15 knots of wind and she sailed on all points
                      > pretty smart. We were surprised by her speed and I thought were were
                      > getting her pretty close to the wind...
                      > It was the best day ever! Photo can be seen under Micro Orca in the
                      > photos section.

                      Fantastic! Good to see that the launch and shake down sail went
                      without a hitch!
                      For better sail trim, you may wish to try pulling in the mizzen
                      snotter nice and snug, along with the mizzen sheet.
                      For even better sail trim, you really must haul in on the main snotter
                      to get rid of that performance robing "pillow case" hanging off the
                      end of the sail :-)
                      Photo 13 is my favorite! Do not know exactly why, but it does tug at
                      my heart strings...........

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan